* Xen ARM community call Tuesday 13th February 5PM UTC
@ 2018-02-06 10:11 Julien Grall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Julien Grall @ 2018-02-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel, Lars Kurth, Edgar E. Iglesias,
	Stewart Hildebrand, anastassios.nanos, vfachin, Jarvis Roach,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Artem Mygaiev, mirela.simonovic,
	davorin.mista, robin.randhawa

Hi all,

I would suggest to have the next community call on Tuesday 13th February
5pm GMT. Does it sound good?

Do you have any specific topic you would like to discuss?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

* Re: Xen ARM community call Tuesday 13th February 5PM UTC
@ 2018-02-06 10:25 ` Robin Randhawa
From: Robin Randhawa @ 2018-02-06 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel, Lars Kurth,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, Stewart Hildebrand, anastassios.nanos,
	vfachin, Jarvis Roach, Volodymyr Babchuk, Artem Mygaiev,
	mirela.simonovic, davorin.mista

Hi Julien.

Thanks for looping me in.

On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 10:11 +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would suggest to have the next community call on Tuesday 13th
> February
> 5pm GMT. Does it sound good?

I'm out of office from the 8th to the 16th unfortunately.

> Do you have any specific topic you would like to discuss?

From my side:

I've spoken to a fair number of folks on the To list here in 1-1
discussions about this.

I think it would be hugely beneficial if there could be an open
repository of information that describes in clear terms what the
specific engineering items are which are needed to make Xen viable for
assessment towards safety certification.

I'm not a Xen expert by any measure but off the top I recall that one
item was the task of removing the reliance on the Linux kernel for
Dom0.

I am certain there are more.

The motivation behind this is to spur folks into acknowledging the
technical work that remains to be done. Whether that work then happens
behind closed proprietary doors to generate value or in the open is an
implementation detail.

If nothing else - it would definitely act as an accelerator.

Personally, I would be thrilled if there was enough momentum to openly
massage Xen into the shape that I allude to. If that takes things 70%
ahead with the remaining 30% done by misc Xen commercial entities as
their differentiation value add - that's a huge bonus for the ecosystem
and for the future of Xen.

Thanks!
Robin

* Re: Xen ARM community call Tuesday 13th February 5PM UTC
@ 2018-02-06 10:53   ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-02-06 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robin.randhawa, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, Stewart Hildebrand, anastassios.nanos,
	vfachin, Jarvis Roach, Volodymyr Babchuk, Artem Mygaiev,
	mirela.simonovic, davorin.mista
  Cc: Rich Persaud

Adding Rich

> I think it would be hugely beneficial if there could be an open
> repository of information that describes in clear terms what the
> specific engineering items are which are needed to make Xen viable for
> assessment towards safety certification.
Very good idea

If there is agreement, I can volunteer to set up such a repository: options for tracking are
*Our Atlassian Jira instance (maybe a new area specifically for this purpose)
* Wiki page
* Something else

Lars

On 06/02/2018, 10:26, "Robin Randhawa" <robin.randhawa@arm.com> wrote:

    Hi Julien.

    Thanks for looping me in.

    On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 10:11 +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would suggest to have the next community call on Tuesday 13th
    > February
    > 5pm GMT. Does it sound good?

    I'm out of office from the 8th to the 16th unfortunately.

    > Do you have any specific topic you would like to discuss?

    From my side:

@ 2018-02-06 11:22     ` Artem Mygaiev
From: Artem Mygaiev @ 2018-02-06 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, robin.randhawa, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini,
	xen-devel, Edgar E. Iglesias, Stewart Hildebrand,
	anastassios.nanos, vfachin, Jarvis Roach, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	mirela.simonovic, davorin.mista
  Cc: Rich Persaud

Hi Lars

As we do not have Jira access, it would be better to do it on Wiki or
"something else".

  -- Artem

@ 2018-02-06 16:22       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-02-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artem Mygaiev, robin.randhawa, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini,
  Cc: Rich Persaud

>     As we do not have Jira access, it would be better to do it on Wiki or      "something else".
The project has Jira access and can give selected community members write access
Read access is not an issue
Lars

@ 2018-02-06 18:14 ` Edgar Iglesias
From: Edgar Iglesias @ 2018-02-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel, Lars Kurth,
	Stewart Hildebrand, anastassios.nanos, vfachin, Jarvis Roach,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Artem Mygaiev, mirela.simonovic,
	davorin.mista, robin.randhawa

Hi, this time works for me.

If there's time I'd like to discuss the timing of re-submitting the Xilinx EEMI power-management mediator.
Also, there were some questions in the previous review. Some are straight forward but some were around the configuration-less approach so I thought I could explain our approach and get feedback, perhaps someone has better ideas. I'll probably need 10 - 15min for that.

Thanks,
Edgar

@ 2018-02-09 17:53   ` Mirela Simonovic
From: Mirela Simonovic @ 2018-02-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Iglesias
  Cc: Artem Mygaiev, Lars Kurth, davorin.mista, Stefano Stabellini,
	anastassios.nanos, Julien Grall, robin.randhawa,
	Stewart Hildebrand, xen-devel, vfachin, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Jarvis Roach

The proposed time works for me too. We would like to show you a demo, i. e.
Xen suspend/resume in action on Xilinx's Zynq US+ MPSoC. I would need ~10
minutes for that.
However, I need to screen share, so would it be possible to setup a call
with the screen-sharing capability?

Thanks,
Mirela

@ 2018-02-09 18:01     ` Artem Mygaiev
From: Artem Mygaiev @ 2018-02-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Iglesias, Mirela Simonovic
  Cc: davorin.mista, Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini, anastassios.nanos,
	Julien Grall, robin.randhawa, Stewart Hildebrand, xen-devel,
	vfachin, Volodymyr Babchuk, Jarvis Roach

Hi Juilen

Time works for us.
Do you think it is worth to discuss certification & AGL stuff?

Best regards,
-- Artem Mygaiev

________________________________

@ 2018-02-09 18:14       ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2018-02-09 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artem Mygaiev
  Cc: davorin.mista, Lars Kurth, Stefano Stabellini, Julien Grall,
	anastassios.nanos, Edgar Iglesias, robin.randhawa,
	Stewart Hildebrand, xen-devel, vfachin, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Mirela Simonovic, Jarvis Roach

Hi Mirela,

We can use my conferencing details this time, so that we can do screen
sharing easily:

  Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/stefano-stabellini
  Optional dial in number: 669-999-0613
  No PIN needed

I'll also reply to the first email from Julien in this thread with the
conferencing info.

Hi Artem,

We should definitely talk about certification & AGL.  Realistically, one
hour might not be enough to cover the other topics as well as
certifications & AGL, but we'll start the discussion.

If we need more time, instead of waiting for 4 weeks before scheduling
another Xen on ARM meeting, we can have another conf call earlier, for
example on the week of the 19th of Feb.

Cheers,

Stefano

@ 2018-02-09 21:05         ` Mirela Simonovic
From: Mirela Simonovic @ 2018-02-09 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: Artem Mygaiev, Lars Kurth, davorin.mista, robin.randhawa,
	Julien Grall, anastassios.nanos, Edgar Iglesias,
	Stewart Hildebrand, xen-devel, vfachin, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Jarvis Roach

Great, thank you!

@ 2018-02-12 19:14 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2018-02-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, xen-devel, Lars Kurth,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, Stewart Hildebrand, anastassios.nanos,
	vfachin, Jarvis Roach, Volodymyr Babchuk, Artem Mygaiev,
	mirela.simonovic, davorin.mista, robin.randhawa

Hi all,

Quick reminder, the meeting will be tomorrow (Tuesday 13th February) at
5PM UTC. We will use uberconference for the meeting:

--
Julien Grall

* Minutes of the Xen ARM community call Tuesday 13th February 5PM UTC
@ 2018-02-15 21:21   ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2018-02-15 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall
  Cc: Edgar E. Iglesias, Lars Kurth, davorin.mista, Stefano Stabellini,
	Artem Mygaiev, Stewart Hildebrand, robin.randhawa,
	anastassios.nanos, xen-devel, vfachin, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	mirela.simonovic, Jarvis Roach

Hi all,

These are the minutes of the meeting we had earlier this week. Thank you
all for attending!

Cheers,

Stefano

Attendees: Stefano Stabellini, Julien Grall (ARM), Artem Mygaiev (EPAM),
Mirela Simonovic (Aggios), Davorin Mista (Aggios), Christopher Clark,
Andrii Anisov (EPAM), Rich Persaud, Nicole Chalhoub, Anthony Toubeau,
Volodymyr Babchuk (EPAM), Oleksander (EPAM), Kristophor (DornerWorks).

= GPU virtualization =

Artem: Coprocessor framework is used for virtualization, on top of it
there is a component based on Imagination Technology guidelines. PV
drivers are too slow. EPAM used a different way. The implementation with
Imagination Technology doesn't completely switch GPU context. Instead,
we signal the GPU to switch domain. The firmware is doing most of the
work. There are limits by the GPU for number of contexts (number of VMs
that can have a vGPU). Also RAM could be a limitation. Most GPUs have
their own MMU, and securing those is difficult. Only 300LOC for the
Imagination Technology specific driver. Almost nothing Imagination
specific in the hypervisor -- the solution relies heavily on the generic
coprocessor framework.  EPAM will submit it to xeb-devel again soon.

Question by Artem: is there interest to virtualize Mali?
ACTION Julien: I'll make introductions

= Suspend/Resume Demo =

Mirela: Xen suspend/resume on Xilinx MPSoC
1.8W = 1.5 (aarch64 cores) + 0.3 (low power domain)

Create 1 more Linux DomU: power consumption goes to 2W temporarily, then
back to normal because it is idle.
Suspend the domU linux -> no change, it was already idle.
Load a bare metal guest: power consumpion increases because it is idle
looping. Small differece, about 0.1W. Suspend it and goes back to
normal.
Dom0 suspends, then Xen suspends.
Any interrupt can wake up the whole system.
0.035W consumption after suspend.
PSCI based suspend.

ACTION Stefano Send link to suspend/resume design doc to Artem.
See below. [1]

= AGL Whitepaper =
Artem: please review the whitepaper, most of the content is already
there.
Everybody agrees that Xen Project should publish its own whitepaper.

Certifications are mostly not about the code. Artem about to share an
analysis done by third parties on certification gaps. Then, we'll
organize another call.
ACTION Artem: send out the gap analysis

[1] https://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=151396462523580

* Re: Minutes of the Xen ARM community call Tuesday 13th February 5PM UTC
@ 2018-02-24  2:10     ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2018-02-24  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: Edgar E. Iglesias, Lars Kurth, davorin.mista, robin.randhawa,
	Artem Mygaiev, anastassios.nanos, Julien Grall,

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> = AGL Whitepaper =
> Artem: please review the whitepaper, most of the content is already
> there.
> Everybody agrees that Xen Project should publish its own whitepaper.
>
> Certifications are mostly not about the code. Artem about to share an
> analysis done by third parties on certification gaps. Then, we'll
> organize another call.
> ACTION Artem: send out the gap analysis

Hi Artem,

Have you had a chance to share the gap analysis whitepaper yet? If you
did, I might have missed it in my inbox.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Stefano