From: David Ahern <dsahern@gmail.com>
To: Christian Brauner <christian@brauner.io>
Cc: "netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
Subject: netlink: 16 bytes leftover after parsing attributes in process `ip'.
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 21:19:06 -0600	[thread overview]

On top of net-next I am see a dmesg error:

netlink: 16 bytes leftover after parsing attributes in process `ip'.

I traced it to address lists and commit:

commit 6ecf4c37eb3e89b0832c9616089a5cdca3747da7
Author: Christian Brauner <christian@brauner.io>
Date:   Tue Sep 4 21:53:50 2018 +0200

    ipv6: enable IFA_TARGET_NETNSID for RTM_GETADDR

Per the commit you are trying to guess whether the ancillary header is
an ifinfomsg or a ifaddrmsg. I am guessing you are guessing wrong. :-)

I don't have time to take this to ground, but address listing is not the
only area subject to iproute2's SNAFU of infomsg everywhere on dumps. I
have thought about this for route dumps, but its solution does not work
here. You'll need to find something because the current warning on every
address dump is not acceptable.