From: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com>
To: "Randall S. Becker" <rsbecker@nexbridge.com>,
	'Felipe Contreras' <felipe.contreras@gmail.com>,
	git@vger.kernel.org
Cc: "'Junio C Hamano'" <gitster@pobox.com>,
	git@vger.kernel.org,
	"'Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason'" <avarab@gmail.com>,
	"'Jeff King'" <peff@peff.net>
Subject: RE: How dow we educate our users to configure less?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:17:59 -0500	[thread overview]

Randall S. Becker wrote:
> On June 28, 2021 3:44 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> >Clearly this would work on every platform that has less and color and it's technique-independent:
> >
> >  setenv("LESS_TERMCAP_md", GIT_COLOR_BOLD_RED, 0);
> >  setenv("LESS_TERMCAP_me", GIT_COLOR_RESET, 0);
> >
> >Would it not?
>
> Less is obviously used across the board (git log, git help, etc.). The
> assumption of the same starting point for all situations is not valid.

I did not assume any starting point. I don't think you are following
what I'm saying.

I do not want to rely on bash, or any shell, or any version of less, or
any function in the user's .profile, or any wrapper in the users's
~/bin.

Junio and Jeff are the ones that think it should be up to the user to
setup colorize tricks in all their environments. Except they are not
specifying what those tricks are. My question "How dow we educate our
users to configure less?" is a rhetorical one, because I already know it
can't be done (although somebody could prove me wrong by showing such
magical configuration).

I'm saying the **opposite**. I'm saying this should be done in
builtin/help.c *not* .profile.

> Admittedly, I am in a highly complex situation, but it is a real one
> (ok, two because of a diverged path between NonStop and MVS) and there
> are hundreds in a similar situation.

My patch [1] should work in all your environments.

Have you tried it in any of them?

Cheers.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/20210626025040.104428-1-felipe.contreras@gmail.com/

--