Am 30.09.21 um 02:32 schrieb Namjae Jeon: > 2021-09-30 2:18 GMT+09:00, Ralph Boehme : >> as said before: just don't do the merge there, just the review. That's >> the way Samba has been doing it for years. Are you actually aware of the >> current Samba workflow? > Is it friendly to new developers? yes. It's just a different tooling you have to wrap your head around. In the case of Samba it has the added benefit, that every interested contributor can make use of the full Samba CI. This works by using a shared repo on gitlab where every registered developer (so you have to ask to be added, but this is freely granted) where you push your patchset to a branch name prefixed with your username (to avoid stepping on someone else's branch). That triggers an automated *full* CI run, so new contributors can be sure not to waste time of other developers before asking for review. > I know samba workflow now too. New > developers can do everything easily by simply subscribing to the > mailing list. Sure, instead of pushing the resulting patchset from the review of your patchset to a github branch, I could send my patchset to the ML. Having now used a more a different workflow for a few years, I appreciate how much more natural it feels to share, work on and review code with a tooling that is much more intergrated to git. So what I'd like to propose for now is let's stick to the ML for now, next time I will send my patchset to the ML instead, but let's also consider and maybe test different possible toolings. > And do we review only the SMB protocol on github? If we > review and discuss kernel common code usage and touching, it should be > visible to the component kernel maintainers as well. > > And is the review history likely to be discarded on github? I don't think so, I'm not 100% sure on this though. But as it's NOT discarded on gitlab, I guess github will match feature wise. > Doesn't it > get thrown away the moment you change or update a patch? Also, review > discussions left on each individual's github cannot be easily searched > like mailing list. Yeah, but does that really matter? So far this was not missed in the Samba gitlab tooling. -slow -- Ralph Boehme, Samba Team https://samba.org/ SerNet Samba Team Lead https://sernet.de/en/team-samba