On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:55:38 +0100, Jiri Slaby said: > On 03/22/2012 05:49 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote: > > Is there any *legitimate* use of an empty parameter list in the > > kernel tree? > > Yeah, a ton of them. There are many drivers which work with a global > singleton. So they need no argument. Those can be 'int foo(void)' can't they? The other historical usage is for 'int foo()' to denote an old K&R-style varargs list, which is like disco - a bad idea from long agon that's never coming back. ;) Of course, if we add this to checkpatch, we'll have a flood of fixup patches. Maybe we just need to say "3.5 will be the int foo() housecleaning release" and be done with it?