Hi Brian, Thanks for your input. On 21 February 2010 12:10, Bryan Kadzban wrote: > Selim Levy wrote: > > The contents of the rescue's /etc/crypttab, for which I've tried various > > things is: > > # cat crypttab > > sdb3_crypt /dev/sdb3 none luks > > So, from 1000 miles away... > That's fine. I'm even further away! ;) > Doesn't Debian's initramfs bring up udev and let you use the > /dev/disk/by-*/ symlinks in crypttab? That's a *LOT* better way to find > this drive (in your case, by-id might work, and by-uuid will almost > definitely work, assuming a new-enough udev that can find the UUID of a > LUKS volume). Maybe poke around in /dev/disk when you're at the busybox > prompt, and see what you can find. > (If it doesn't bring up udev and let you use those symlinks, then ... > why not? :-P Not a question for you obviously, but more for the Debian > maintainers.) > > Anyway, then you don't care which sd* name is given to this device, > since you're using an explicitly-guaranteed-stable name for it. > Hmmmm.... that's really interesting. I played around at the busybox prompt and took down all the info in the /dev/disk/by-* directories (which do get created). I redirected output of 'ls -alF' commands from those directories to file and have the info available to me. So here's what I've now confirmed: When I boot into my main/internal hd, /dev/sda, sdb and sdc are the following: internal hd, cardreader, external hd (respectively). When I boot into my rescue/external system, they are the following: internal hd, external hd, cardreader. How do I go about using the /dev/disk/by-* devices with dm-crypt? Does it only require modifying, as before, /etc/fstab and /proc/cmdline? Or is there something else I should play around with? I'm definitely getting closer! Thanks for your help! Cheers, Selim