Hello, On 8 March 2010 06:52, Jonas Meurer wrote: > hey, > > On 05/03/2010 Selim Levy wrote: > > On 22 February 2010 18:12, Jonas Meurer wrote: > > > you're right. if you're not even asked for a dm-crypt password, then > the > > > initramfs doesn't even know about the propper root device to unlock. > > > what exactly is the output you see at the boot process? does the > > > initramfs output any warnings or errors? > > > > > > > > > There is no relevant output at the boot process. If I wait long enough > for > > busybox to appear, then all its info appears... > > > > The only initramfs errors are the ones I mentioned before: > > cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab - > > > > Just on a random whim, and despite my better judgement, I decided to > modify > > my crypttab again. I removed the (original) 'sdb3_crypt' target (which > was > > a name given automatically by Debian upon installation) and renamed it to > > something that makes more sense to me: 'rescue'. Lo and behold, I now no > > longer have an error upon updating initramfs. Why or how should simply > the > > target (name) change anything? > > > > Well, at least now I get somewhere. Upon booting, I get the typical: > > > > cryptsetup: source device not found > > message. > > this message does not exist. please paste the _exact_ error message. > This message does exist, because that is what I am getting. In fact, thanks to your reply, below, I found it in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/cryptroot at line 199. I cannot copy and paste it as it occurs after the grub boot selection but before the actual booting process. The error I get is: cryptsetup: source device not found I could attach a low-res photo taken from a cell phone, if you wish. > > I changed my (which was originally /dev/sdb3 and later modified > by > > me to be given by UUID) in crypttab a few times, but nothing seems to > help. > > I'm now more and more convinced that when cryptsetup gets called, my > /dev/* > > have not yet been populated. I wanted to add debugging info, say a > simple > > echo `ls /dev/sd*` > > just before the error I quoted above, but can't seem to find a relevant > file > > and cryptsetup is a binary. How could I add debugging info (upon boot) > just > > before that cryptsetup error? In particular, I will want to add > debugging > > info about the devices and about which modules are loaded. > > simply modify the initramfs cryptroot script at > /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/cryptroot. the code which > invokes cryptsetup begins at line 280. after modifying the script, don't > forget to update the initramfs with 'update-initramfs -u'. > Ok. I added a printout of the /dev/sd* devices (and also the /dev/hd* just in case that was the issue) just after message "cryptsetup: source device $cryptsource not found" on line 199 and before the return 1 of line 200. The only /dev/sd* devices found at that point are my /dev/sda* partitions, which are my internal harddrive partitions (and there are no /dev/hd*). The devices relevant to my external hard drive (the /dev/sdb*) haven't been populated yet; however, I'm clearly accessing one of those partitions at that point (as my boot partition is on /dev/sdb2). So now I'm thinking that this could be a USB module problem... Looking at my working/internal hd's /proc/modules with my external hd mounted, I notice that I have various modules which don't appear in my external/rescue hd's /proc/modules. Some of the ones that jump out at me are: hid, usbhid and usb_storage. So I recopied my /proc/modules to the external drive's /proc/modules and compared the two files again. It seems as though many of the /proc/modules aren't copied to the new location. What the hell?!? So I copied it by doing a `cat /proc/modules > [the external harddrive]/proc/modules`. Finally the files compare equal. I reboot and... nothing. Same error as above indicating that the source device isn't found. I know very little about initramfs and inserting modules into it, but I think that that is the next thing for me to research. Comments or suggestions? > I should mention that if I wait about 5 minutes for the busybox prompt, I > > can manually luksOpen the drive in question. Could this be some sort of > a > > race condition that gets resolved with enough patience? > > it could be possible, but the cryptroot script already contains loops in > order to wait for the source device to become available. see the > beginning of setup_mapping() in the script. > Following my above comments and looking into this file, I agree with you. Thanks for your continued and unfaltering support! Cheers, Selim