From: Selim Levy <sjtlevy@gmail.com>
To: dm-crypt@saout.de
Subject: Re: [dm-crypt] configuration files
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:27:51 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello again,

I just resolved my issue!

As soon as I discovered that /dev/sd* hadn't been populated yet but that
upon boot into busybox it *had* been populated, I figured I had some sort of
a USB problem.  The problem was not related to modules (which I didn't see
how it could be given that GRUB and the boot partitions were loaded fine).
The problem wasn't even related to dm-crypt in any way!  Apologies for the
crazy and wild goose chase.

The problem was that the kernel was attempting to mount the root filesystem
*before* the usb-storage driver was fully initialized.  (Why the initramfs
file on the boot partition was seen, as well as GRUB is completely beyong
me.  Strangely enough, when booting from the same external harddrive using a
non-encrypted filesystem, I don't have the same problem.)  The solution to
my problem was therefore, despite the runaround, quite trivial: I simply
added a rootdelay=10 as an option to the kernel line in GRUB's menu.lst.  I
can't believe that the problem was so trivial and that I was getting carried
away with everything else!  This doesn't explain, however, all the errors I
was getting when updating my initramfs.  Although I kept a meticulous diary
of all modifications I made (and I could likely therefore revert all my
changes), I think I will reinstall the OS and only make this change to GRUB
and see if it works...

Apologies for assuming that dm-crypt was the culprit (despite many things
pointing to this being the case).  A great big thanks for your continued
support Jonas and also to Bryan.

Woohoo!

Selim