On Thu, 2022-12-22 at 17:43 -0800, Ian Rogers wrote: [...] > I had a few things to ask wrt this thread and getting the best > possible Debian experience: > - in Linux 6.2 the libtraceevent will need to become an external > library dependency This shouldn't be a problem; it's already packaged separately in Debian and we can build-depend on that. > - are there issues with debuginfod/zstd enablement? libbfd has > licensing issues. libcrypto is only used by the JIT support, but still > may be nice to enable. - debuginfod is licensed under GPLv3+, so has the same issue as libbfd - libzstd is licensed under GPLv2 (with most of its code also permissively licensed) - libcrypto is now licensed under Apache 2.0, which is not compatible with GPLv2 So I think only libzstd can be enabled in official packages. [...] > - are there some residual wrapper artifacts in the package, for example: > ``` > $ dpkg -L linux-perf > /. > /usr > /usr/bin > /usr/bin/perf > package diverts others to: /usr/bin/perf.wrapper > ... > package diverts others to: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perf.wrapper > ... > package diverts others to: /usr/share/man/man1/perf.wrapper.1.gz > ... > ``` [...] These diversions are present to avoid conflicts with the wrappers in older versions of linux-base. We can remove them after the next stable release. Ben. -- Ben Hutchings Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production: A fail-safe circuit will destroy others.