On 30.01.2023 14:19, Takashi Sakamoto wrote: > Hi, > > (C.C.ed to administrator of alsa-devel mailing list) > > On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 12:40:06PM +0100, M. Armsby wrote: >> Hi Takashi, >> I'm writing direct because I cannot seem to get a post on AlsaDevel >> list. > I've realized your two posts, but no reaction since they have no message > body: > > * Firewire ALSA Motu and Phase24 > * https://lore.kernel.org/alsa-devel/sokos1-r6xj933yn42y-hmy3gsrfgsma-mnwe9a-cahiug-3btbiljo1il7-8lhisz-trzq63b9es27-41z6o2wylkgf-tjvaeo3olqkz-elr571-us6u4977mlo1-p2gxkncmroem-foujcu-jg85lg-sqi612.1674640678660@email.android.com/ > * Firewire Motu ALSA (Re-post) > * https://lore.kernel.org/alsa-devel/v6inx6-fwmr0r-kvajcd-kfs8u9l6m2qn2cnogd-2odpkz-d7vadu94fw76-iv1ohfsnh0nxdhq3hl-irmx6t-3alyitjtt3oq-m2jt5z8uktj3-1khriq-w6pr0c-bitxl26qa5mx-sc4dcno22ycq-2x7a4f.1674740730928@email.android.com/ > > Jaroslav, would I ask your opinion for the problem which perhaps dropped > the message body from his messages? > >> I need to repair my two Phase X24 (defekt caps?) and I'm having >> problems with Traveler and other Motu interfaces on Linux. >> Thanks for any hints or where I should post. >> Here's a copy of my post: >> Hello everyone! >> Thank you for all the hard work on this. >> Especially Mr. Takashi Sakamoto. >> I'm an experienced studio engineer and was a Beta tester for Samplitude >> for years. >> Not a programmer and have very little experience with Linux. >> So please excuse me blundering in on this professional programmer forum >> but I'm hoping my experience will help somehow to find bugs. I'll >> provide any information I can or test following instructions. >> I really would love to completely change over to Linux but I need >> reliable drivers. >> How can I help? >> Here's my experience so far. >> Around November I started testing Linux for audio as I have >> occasionally over the last years. I was pleased to find Manjaro and >> Sparky would detect Traveler Mk1 and Mk3 and to run so efficiently >> compared to Win10. >> But things would freeze. >> Reaper has a long standing Midi bug so it was difficult at first to see >> why my laptop would freeze on occasion. I dissabled hardware midi in >> the software. >> Then I updated Sparky beginning of December and to my surprise Firewire >> didn't work anymore. The Firewire stack must have been removed. >> I use: >> Dell Laptops 4310, 6510, M4800 >> Tested platforms Ardour and Reaper using Pianoteq 8 >> No JACK >> Manjaro Kernel from 6.0 rc4? and 6.1.1 work for a limited time. >> Sparky only works with special kernels Xanmod1 6.1.7-x64v2 but the >> audio is completely distorted. >> CachyOS Kernel 6.2 rc4 sounds good. >> Common problem is freezing or loosing audio. Ardour is less sensitive >> than Reaper but Reaper is far more efficient on CPU >> (20% compared to 90%and more with one instance of Pianoteq 7 or 8) >> Motu Traveler MK3 and MK1 wrong channel assignment from 1+2 (3+4 are >> actually 1+2) and freezing or just loosing audio. >> Motu 896Mk3 Hybrid not recognised in firewire or USB mode. >> Shame cause its the best. >> Motu 8pre working similarly. >> Phase 24 working much better but still freezes or looses audio after >> long period. >> Tested in Ardour and Reaper. >> I hope that's not too much at once. >> Martin Armsby >> M. Armsby > Thanks for the report including many issues. I apologize to trouble you. > In my opinion, the issues are not so easy since each application uses ALSA > PCM device by slightly different ways. So we need to investigate the > issue step by step to take relevant longer time than easy issues. > > Before discussing about the issue, I need to ask a help about MOTU > devices. As you realized, 896 mk3 is neither supported yet, FireWire only > nor Hybrid, in IEEE 1394 bus nor Universal Serial Bus. For example, you > can see no entry for the device in module device table[1] in the file > which consists of snd-firewire-motu driver. > > The reason is apparent; no one provides information enough to support > it. Then I would like you to help me to integrate for it in the case in > IEEE 1394 bus. > > I maintain a remote repository for my collection of configuration ROM > image which includes identity information of each node in IEEE 1394 bus[2]. > The information is useful both to make the entry of module device table > and to make hardware database[3] in systemd project. > > When 896 mk3 Hybrid is connected to IEEE 1394 bus and only connected to > the bus, Linux FireWire subsystem detects it as '/dev/fw1'. Then the > rom image is exported to an node on sysfs. You can retrieve the content > by the command line below: > > $ cat /sys/bus/firewire/devices/fw1/config_rom > motu-896mk3hybrid.img > > If retrieved successfully, please send it to me. I don't mind to receive > it to private message, mailing list, any upload services. > > [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/firewire/motu/motu.c#n162 > [2] https://github.com/takaswie/am-config-roms > [3] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/hwdb.d/80-ieee1394-unit-function.hwdb > > > Thanks > > Takashi Sakamoto > Ok, Im pleased to help with the drivers for Motu 896 Mk3 Hybrid I followed your instruction and dumped an .img Just for comparison I also dumped an .img for Traveler Mk1 These are both in the zip file - (or how would ou like it) The img seems ver small - I hope it's usefull :) BTW Manjaro update with Kernel 6.2.Rc6 is running very well with Terratec Phase24 and both Motu Travelers. Not perfeclty but I was able (for the first time) to edit productions using Reaper for over an hour with no problem! Note: Traveler have wrong output numbering. Cheers, Martin