* Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-26 18:29 Kaartic Sivaraam
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-01-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi all,

GSoC 2022 is approaching. The timeline has been released [1].
Mentoring organizations should submit applications between
February 7 and 21 at 1800 UTC. So, I thought I'll kick off
the discussion about our plans for GSoC 2022.

First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
GSoC?

If we are interested in participating we need:

   - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
     willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.

   - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
     microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
     for microproject ideas, please share them.

   - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
     but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
     we would need new ones this year.

     Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
     the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
     interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
     be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?

Also, wanted to note that GSoC has some changes in store for
this year [5]. Concisely they are:

   - Expanding eligibility: the program is now open to non-students.

   - Multiple Sizes of Projects: In 2021, project size was reduced
     (~175 hours). This year, both medium sized projects (~175 hours)
     and large projects (~350 hours) are supported.

     GSoC organizers recommend communities to have both medium _and_
     large size projects.

   - Increased timing flexibility: rather than a mandatory 12-week
     program, projects can be extended for up to 22 weeks by the
     mentor and the contributors.

See the blog [5] for more details.

[ References ]

[1]: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

[2]: https://git.github.io/Outreachy-23-Microprojects/

[3]: https://git.github.io/SoC-2021-Ideas/

[4]: https://public-inbox.org/git/YVTM+WQH%2FUyhVeTz@nand.local/

[5]: https://opensource.googleblog.com/2021/11/expanding-google-summer-of-code-in-2022.html

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-26 20:05 ` Taylor Blau
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Taylor Blau @ 2022-01-26 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Git Community, Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi Kaartic,

Thanks for organizing this.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:59:16PM +0530, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
> GSoC?

I think it would be great to participate this year, provided that we can
come up with some interesting projects and mentors to help out.

>     Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
>     the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
>     interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
>     be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?

I'm available and interested in mentoring. I don't think I found many
interested folks via Outreachy who wanted to work on bitmaps, but I
think it's worth trying again via GSoC. I can rejigger the proposed
projects there a bit, too.

(I figured that it would be fun to have an intern with fairly wide
discretion over what they could work on, but it might be better for some
folks to have a clearer idea ahead of time.)

> [4]: https://public-inbox.org/git/YVTM+WQH%2FUyhVeTz@nand.local/

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-27  3:55 ` Bagas Sanjaya
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2022-01-27  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On 27/01/22 01.29, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>    - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>      but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>      we would need new ones this year.

I have several project ideas:

   - Document the "binary diff" format. Right now we have documentation
     for all diff formats used in Git, except for binary diff. Hint:
     read `diff.c`
   - Rewrite `git-request-pull.sh` in C. Currently the shell script
     implementation hard-codes message template and only outputs to
     stdout (though can be redirected to a file using shell means).
     In the C version, message template can be configured (with the
     default is same as current version) and introduces new
     `-o/--output` option to specify output file.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-27  9:32   ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-01-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau
  Cc: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

> Hi Kaartic,
>
> Thanks for organizing this.

Yeah, thanks!

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:59:16PM +0530, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> > First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
> > GSoC?
>
> I think it would be great to participate this year, provided that we can
> come up with some interesting projects and mentors to help out.

I agree.

> >     Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
> >     the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
> >     interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
> >     be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?
>
> I'm available and interested in mentoring. I don't think I found many
> interested folks via Outreachy who wanted to work on bitmaps, but I
> think it's worth trying again via GSoC. I can rejigger the proposed
> projects there a bit, too.

I am also available and interested in mentoring and I can reuse a
project prepared for the last Outreachy round too.

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-27  9:44   ` Christian Couder
       [not found]     ` <nycvar.QRO.7.76.6.2201281114440.347@tvgsbejvaqbjf.bet>
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-01-27  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya
  Cc: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Johannes Schindelin

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 4:55 AM Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/01/22 01.29, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> >    - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
> >      but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
> >      we would need new ones this year.
>
> I have several project ideas:
>
>    - Document the "binary diff" format. Right now we have documentation
>      for all diff formats used in Git, except for binary diff. Hint:
>      read `diff.c`

It seems a bit small as a project idea. Also we usually propose code
related projects. It might be a good one for Google Season of Docs
though:

https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/

But I don't think we have ever participated in it.

>    - Rewrite `git-request-pull.sh` in C. Currently the shell script
>      implementation hard-codes message template and only outputs to
>      stdout (though can be redirected to a file using shell means).
>      In the C version, message template can be configured (with the
>      default is same as current version) and introduces new
>      `-o/--output` option to specify output file.

In https://lore.kernel.org/git/nycvar.QRO.7.76.6.2001301154170.46@tvgsbejvaqbjf.bet/
Dscho put this script in the "Probably better to leave them as shell
scripts" category, so you might want to explain a bit more what would
be the benefits of converting it. Also would you be interested in
mentoring or co-mentoring a GSoC student working on this?

Thanks!

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-27 14:39 ` Derrick Stolee
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Derrick Stolee @ 2022-01-27 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Victoria Dye

On 1/26/2022 1:29 PM, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> If we are interested in participating we need:
>
>   - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
>     willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.
>
>   - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
>     microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
>     for microproject ideas, please share them.
>
>   - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>     but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>     we would need new ones this year.

One project that could be interesting for GSoC (and the timing
should work out) is to complete the sparse index integrations for
some of the less critical commands. Some examples include 'git mv'
and 'git rm', I think.

This of course depends on some ongoing work to integrate more of
the critical commands that we implemented early in microsoft/git,
such as Victoria's current series which is leading to a 'git stash'
integration and a series I have waiting in the wings for a 'git
sparse-checkout' integration.

However, I think we have a decent paved-path for a new contributor
to jump in and get started on the remaining commands. The granularity
means that the project has multiple milestones that can be hit
without an all-in-one series.

>   - Multiple Sizes of Projects: In 2021, project size was reduced
>     (~175 hours). This year, both medium sized projects (~175 hours)
>     and large projects (~350 hours) are supported.
>
>     GSoC organizers recommend communities to have both medium _and_
>     large size projects.

I think this project would fit in the "medium" category.

Thanks,
-Stolee

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-01-27 15:00 ` ZheNing Hu
From: ZheNing Hu @ 2022-01-27 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Git Community, Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar

Hi, all,

Kaartic Sivaraam <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> 于2022年1月27日周四 02:29写道:

> Hi all,
>
> GSoC 2022 is approaching. The timeline has been released [1].
> Mentoring organizations should submit applications between
> February 7 and 21 at 1800 UTC. So, I thought I'll kick off
> the discussion about our plans for GSoC 2022.
>
> First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
> GSoC?
>
> If we are interested in participating we need:
>
>    - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
>      willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.
>
>    - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
>      microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
>      for microproject ideas, please share them.
>
>    - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>      but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>      we would need new ones this year.
>
>      Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
>      the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
>      interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
>      be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?

I've been busy preparing for some internships lately and may not have
enough time as a mentor to help this year's GSOC students, but I can
occasionally provide my review for interesting projects this year.

Thanks.
--
ZheNing Hu

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-29 17:43   ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-01-29 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZheNing Hu
  Cc: Git Community, Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,

On 27/01/22 8:30 pm, ZheNing Hu wrote:
> Kaartic Sivaraam <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> 于2022年1月27日周四 02:29写道:
>>
>> GSoC 2022 is approaching. The timeline has been released [1].
>> Mentoring organizations should submit applications between
>> February 7 and 21 at 1800 UTC. So, I thought I'll kick off
>> the discussion about our plans for GSoC 2022.
>>
>> First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
>> GSoC?
>>
>> If we are interested in participating we need:
>>
>>     - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
>>       willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.
>>
>>     - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
>>       microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
>>       for microproject ideas, please share them.
>>
>>     - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>>       but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>>       we would need new ones this year.
>>
>>       Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
>>       the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
>>       interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
>>       be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?
>>

> I've been busy preparing for some internships lately and may not have
> enough time as a mentor to help this year's GSOC students, but I can
> occasionally provide my review for interesting projects this year.

No worries. Reviews would be great when you're able to find time for them.
Thanks! :-)

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-01-29 18:09     ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-01-29 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder, Taylor Blau
  Cc: Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On 27/01/22 3:02 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:59:16PM +0530, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>>> First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
>>> GSoC?
>>
>> I think it would be great to participate this year, provided that we can
>> come up with some interesting projects and mentors to help out.
>
> I agree.

Great. :)

>>>      Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
>>>      the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
>>>      interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
>>>      be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?
>>
>> I'm available and interested in mentoring. I don't think I found many
>> interested folks via Outreachy who wanted to work on bitmaps, but I
>> think it's worth trying again via GSoC. I can rejigger the proposed
>> projects there a bit, too.
>
> I am also available and interested in mentoring and I can reuse a
> project prepared for the last Outreachy round too.

That's nice.

I've opened a PR in the git.github.io repo to create a mostly empty ideas
document for GSoC 2022. Here's the link for reference:

   https://github.com/git/git.github.io/pull/540

Once that's merged, anyone could feel free to open PRs with their
ideas to this document:

   https://github.com/git/git.github.io/blob/master/SoC-2022-Ideas.md

   (note: currently returns a 404; it should work if the PR is merged)

Alternatively, if you share information about a project idea here, I would
be glad to add them to the document. For some motivation, you could see the
project ideas page of 2021:

@ 2022-01-29 18:19   ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-01-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derrick Stolee, Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,

On 27/01/22 8:09 pm, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 1/26/2022 1:29 PM, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>> If we are interested in participating we need:
>>
>>    - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
>>      willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.
>>
>>    - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
>>      microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
>>      for microproject ideas, please share them.
>>
>>    - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>>      but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>>      we would need new ones this year.
>
> One project that could be interesting for GSoC (and the timing
> should work out) is to complete the sparse index integrations for
> some of the less critical commands. Some examples include 'git mv'
> and 'git rm', I think.
>
> This of course depends on some ongoing work to integrate more of
> the critical commands that we implemented early in microsoft/git,
> such as Victoria's current series which is leading to a 'git stash'
> integration and a series I have waiting in the wings for a 'git
> sparse-checkout' integration.
>
> However, I think we have a decent paved-path for a new contributor
> to jump in and get started on the remaining commands. The granularity
> means that the project has multiple milestones that can be hit
> without an all-in-one series.

Sounds good.

As I mentioned up thread, you could feel free to share the project
description here or open a PR by adding it directly to this document:

   https://github.com/git/git.github.io/blob/master/SoC-2022-Ideas.md

   (note: currently returns a 404; it should work when the
    related PR [pr-1] is merged)

Just to be sure, would you be willing to mentor in case a student
picks this project?

[pr-1]: https://github.com/git/git.github.io/pull/540

@ 2022-01-29 18:36       ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-01-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin
  Cc: Christian Couder, Bagas Sanjaya, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,
	Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi Dscho,

On 28/01/22 4:15 pm, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> A project that I would personally find a lot of fun, with a great impact,
> and never really talked about on this list, would be to offer a good
> replacement for the `git daemon`: its purpose is to make it easy to stand
> up an ad-hoc server, to allow developers to clone/fetch (and even push, if
> that is enabled) via the network, unauthenticated. Now, the git://
> protocol has served us well in the beginning, but it is increasingly
> obvious that we should use https:// wherever possible. Wouldn't it be fun
> to have a `git daemon` that talks https:// by default, maybe even
> optionally offering a real web UI via gitweb? This is not as huge of a
> project as it sounds, Jeff Hostetler already did a ton of work to that end
> over in the Microsoft fork of Git: the `test-gvfs-protocol` helper is used
> in the regression tests to offer Git repositories via http:// and the
> biggest task to convert this to an HTTP-speaking `git daemon` would be to
> rip out the GVFS parts. After that, HTTPS support could be added.

Sounds interesting. Would you mind drafting this into a project proposal
for GSoC. Then we could add it to the list of ideas document [1].

Also, would you be willing to mentor a student in case they pick this
project? Or would you rather leave it to others?

@ 2022-02-02 17:42     ` Derrick Stolee
From: Derrick Stolee @ 2022-02-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,

On 1/29/2022 1:19 PM, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> On 27/01/22 8:09 pm, Derrick Stolee wrote:
>> On 1/26/2022 1:29 PM, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>>> If we are interested in participating we need:
>>>
>>>    - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
>>>      willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.
>>>      - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
>>>      microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
>>>      for microproject ideas, please share them.
>>>
>>>    - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>>>      but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>>>      we would need new ones this year.
>>
>> One project that could be interesting for GSoC (and the timing
>> should work out) is to complete the sparse index integrations for
>> some of the less critical commands. Some examples include 'git mv'
>> and 'git rm', I think.
>>
>> This of course depends on some ongoing work to integrate more of
>> the critical commands that we implemented early in microsoft/git,
>> such as Victoria's current series which is leading to a 'git stash'
>> integration and a series I have waiting in the wings for a 'git
>> sparse-checkout' integration.
>>
>> However, I think we have a decent paved-path for a new contributor
>> to jump in and get started on the remaining commands. The granularity
>> means that the project has multiple milestones that can be hit
>> without an all-in-one series.
>>

> Sounds good.
>
> As I mentioned up thread, you could feel free to share the project
> description here or open a PR by adding it directly to this document:
>
>   https://github.com/git/git.github.io/blob/master/SoC-2022-Ideas.md
>
>   (note: currently returns a 404; it should work when the
>    related PR [pr-1] is merged)
>
> Just to be sure, would you be willing to mentor in case a student
> picks this project?

Victoria Dye and I are willing to co-mentor if a student picks this
project.

I'll make a PR that adds a description to the linked doc soon.

Thanks,
-Stolee

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-02-03 14:12 ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2022-02-03 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On 26/01/2022 18:29, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> If we are interested in participating we need:
>
>   - Volunteers who are wiling to act as mentors. I would be
>     willing to be volunteer myself as a mentor for one student.
>
>   - Microprojects: I believe we could repurpose the Outreachy
>     microproject ideas[2] for GSoC too. If others have suggestions
>     for microproject ideas, please share them.
>
>   - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>     but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>     we would need new ones this year.
Git Demonstration Repositories
=============================

One idea/concept that I've had that might be suitable for a project
either here or within the Google Season of Docs is to generate
demonstration repositories that match the examples used in the
documentation and parts of the test suite to help users explore and
understand the concepts that are being documented in the man pages.

It's more than a classic coding problem because it impinges on a lot of
subjective and admin areas but should be fairly beneficial for users.

The two examples that come to mind are the --show-pulls repo [1], and
the 'history simplification' repo [2].

Using the test suite as the repo generator ensures the Demo Repos are
reproducible/deterministic.

My latest thinking is that the repos would be held in-tree under
/Documentation/RepoBundles and have been exported as bundles by an
explicit test_export_function. Of key importance in the project is to
minimise/eliminate any extra maintainer actions, so once a patch with a
repo export is accepted, the flow through the delivery process to user
installs is essentially the same as the man pages.

Not sure if that's fleshed out enough, or if it's at the wrong level for
GSoC, or If I'm right as a Mentor, but I'd be happy to co-mentor.

>     Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
>     the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
>     interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
>     be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?
--
Philip
[1] Git log --show-pulls
{the sha1
https://github.com/git/git/commit/8d049e182e2e213a012e2d6839becfe0e2de79db,
 get the t/tnnnn t/t6012-rev-list-simplify.sh,
 get the docs rev-list #L582-707}

[2] git rev list History simplification
{get the man page #Lnn
https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/Documentation/rev-list-options.txt#L386-L425,
 get the Chuck Li https://github.com/ChuckTest/git-history-test.git,
 get the gfw
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/git-users/11286f4a-c961-4d12-91a0-f49e34d8691bn%40googlegroups.com}

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-12 18:12   ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-12 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley, Junio C Hamano
  Cc: Christian Couder, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar,
	ZheNing Hu, Git Community

On 03/02/22 7:42 pm, Philip Oakley wrote:
> On 26/01/2022 18:29, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>>
>>    - Project ideas: There are two mentioned in SoC-2021-Ideas[3]
>>      but both were picked by GSoC students the previous year. So,
>>      we would need new ones this year.
> Git Demonstration Repositories
> =============================
>
> One idea/concept that I've had that might be suitable for a project
> either here or within the Google Season of Docs is to generate
> demonstration repositories that match the examples used in the
> documentation and parts of the test suite to help users explore and
> understand the concepts that are being documented in the man pages.
>
> It's more than a classic coding problem because it impinges on a lot of
> subjective and admin areas but should be fairly beneficial for users.

This does sound like a good idea.

> The two examples that come to mind are the --show-pulls repo [1], and
> the 'history simplification' repo [2].
>
> Using the test suite as the repo generator ensures the Demo Repos are
> reproducible/deterministic.
>
> My latest thinking is that the repos would be held in-tree under
> /Documentation/RepoBundles and have been exported as bundles by an
> explicit test_export_function. Of key importance in the project is to
> minimise/eliminate any extra maintainer actions, so once a patch with a
> repo export is accepted, the flow through the delivery process to user
> installs is essentially the same as the man pages.

We could possibly include this one in the idea list but I suppose we might
need a more concrete idea on what needs to be done as part of this project.
That would help very much with guiding the student during the project
period.

We also need to know if the end result of such a project would be an
acceptable contribution to the project. What it would take for the contribution
to be acceptable? etc.

Just to make it clear, I'm trying to think through on what we need to do to
make this a GSoC idea proposal.

> Not sure if that's fleshed out enough, or if it's at the wrong level for
> GSoC, or If I'm right as a Mentor, but I'd be happy to co-mentor.

That's nice. Thanks for volunteering.

On a related note, the organization registrations are now open for this year.
The deadline is February 21 - 18:00 UTC. I'm not sure if anyone else is
planning on applying for Git. In case no one else beats me to it, I plan on
applying for Git around February 15 17:00 UTC.

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-13  9:33     ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-02-13  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Philip Oakley, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Git Community

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
<kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/02/22 7:42 pm, Philip Oakley wrote:

> > My latest thinking is that the repos would be held in-tree under
> > /Documentation/RepoBundles and have been exported as bundles by an
> > explicit test_export_function. Of key importance in the project is to
> > minimise/eliminate any extra maintainer actions, so once a patch with a
> > repo export is accepted, the flow through the delivery process to user
> > installs is essentially the same as the man pages.
>
> We could possibly include this one in the idea list but I suppose we might
> need a more concrete idea on what needs to be done as part of this project.
> That would help very much with guiding the student during the project
> period.
>
> We also need to know if the end result of such a project would be an
> acceptable contribution to the project. What it would take for the contribution
> to be acceptable? etc.

Yeah, I think this is the main issue with this idea. We have a section
named "Note about refactoring projects versus projects that implement
new features" in
https://git.github.io/General-Application-Information/ explaining why
projects implementing new things can be a bad idea, and what can be
done about it.

> Just to make it clear, I'm trying to think through on what we need to do to
> make this a GSoC idea proposal.
>
> > Not sure if that's fleshed out enough, or if it's at the wrong level for
> > GSoC, or If I'm right as a Mentor, but I'd be happy to co-mentor.
>
> That's nice. Thanks for volunteering.

Yeah, thanks for volunteering anyway!

> On a related note, the organization registrations are now open for this year.
> The deadline is February 21 - 18:00 UTC. I'm not sure if anyone else is
> planning on applying for Git. In case no one else beats me to it, I plan on
> applying for Git around February 15 17:00 UTC.

I was thinking about applying for Git, but I am glad that you plan to
do it. I will try to add some project ideas to SoC-2022-Ideas.md
before February 15.

Thanks,
Christian.

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-13 13:35     ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-02-13 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau
  Cc: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 10:32 AM Christian Couder
<christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

> > I'm available and interested in mentoring. I don't think I found many
> > interested folks via Outreachy who wanted to work on bitmaps, but I
> > think it's worth trying again via GSoC. I can rejigger the proposed
> > projects there a bit, too.

Taylor, it would be nice if you could add this bitmap project to
SoC-2022-Ideas.md soon or at least before the February 21 deadline.

> I am also available and interested in mentoring and I can reuse a
> project prepared for the last Outreachy round too.

I added the "Unify ref-filter formats with other pretty formats" to
continue Hariom Verma's work during GSoC 2020. I would be happy to
co-mentor it if someone is interested to co-mentor it with me.

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-15 15:05       ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2022-02-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder, Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar,
	ZheNing Hu, Git Community

Hi Christian,

On 13/02/2022 09:33, Christian Couder wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
> <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/02/22 7:42 pm, Philip Oakley wrote:
>>> My latest thinking is that the repos would be held in-tree under
>>> /Documentation/RepoBundles and have been exported as bundles by an
>>> explicit test_export_function. Of key importance in the project is to
>>> minimise/eliminate any extra maintainer actions, so once a patch with a
>>> repo export is accepted, the flow through the delivery process to user
>>> installs is essentially the same as the man pages.
>> We could possibly include this one in the idea list but I suppose we might
>> need a more concrete idea on what needs to be done as part of this project.
>> That would help very much with guiding the student during the project
>> period.
>>
>> We also need to know if the end result of such a project would be an
>> acceptable contribution to the project. What it would take for the contribution
>> to be acceptable? etc.
> Yeah, I think this is the main issue with this idea. We have a section
> named "Note about refactoring projects versus projects that implement
> new features" in
> https://git.github.io/General-Application-Information/ explaining why
> projects implementing new things can be a bad idea, and what can be
> done about it.

I tend to agree. To me, it has all the hall marks of an allegedly
simple  'systems' project. The main issues in the mini-project being to
ensure all stakeholders are aligned so that the final coding is easy. I
hadn't mentioned the number of go-arounds in my head before I settled on
using individual bundles as the likely best chance of success for the
example repos.

For these type of ideas, the 'show me the code' mantra, can easily lead
to misunderstanding, mistaking the toy implementation for concept ("map
is not territory" ;-).

Maybe we do need a 'mini-projects' category to capture these
non-refactoring ideas.

>> Just to make it clear, I'm trying to think through on what we need to do to
>> make this a GSoC idea proposal.
>>
>>> Not sure if that's fleshed out enough, or if it's at the wrong level for
>>> GSoC, or If I'm right as a Mentor, but I'd be happy to co-mentor.
>> That's nice. Thanks for volunteering.
> Yeah, thanks for volunteering anyway!

Given that I'd suggested the min-project, I thought it worthwhile ;-)

>> On a related note, the organization registrations are now open for this year.
>> The deadline is February 21 - 18:00 UTC. I'm not sure if anyone else is
>> planning on applying for Git. In case no one else beats me to it, I plan on
>> applying for Git around February 15 17:00 UTC.
> I was thinking about applying for Git, but I am glad that you plan to
> do it. I will try to add some project ideas to SoC-2022-Ideas.md
> before February 15.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian.

A similar mini-project, could be to add a `git branch
--show-description` and `git branch --show-all-descriptions` along the
lines of the aliases:
    brshow = config --get-regexp 'branch.*.description'
    brshow1 = !git config --get "branch.$(git rev-parse --abbrev-ref
HEAD).description"

Fairly simple coding, if acceptable (with ensuing discussions about
whether branch descriptions are useful ..)

Philip

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-15 20:32       ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder, Git Community
  Cc: Philip Oakley, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Derrick Stolee, Victoria Dye

On 13/02/22 3:03 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
> <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On a related note, the organization registrations are now open for this year.
>> The deadline is February 21 - 18:00 UTC. I'm not sure if anyone else is
>> planning on applying for Git. In case no one else beats me to it, I plan on
>> applying for Git around February 15 17:00 UTC.
>
> I was thinking about applying for Git, but I am glad that you plan to
> do it. I will try to add some project ideas to SoC-2022-Ideas.md
> before February 15.

Thanks for adding it! I've applied for Git in GSoC 2022. The application
information could be found here:

   https://git.github.io/SoC-2022-Org-Application/

Let me know in case anything needs to be tweaked. I mentioned that we have
5 mentors available counting Stolee, Victoria, Christian, Taylor and myself.
Also, I've invited Christian as an Org Admin. In case anyone else would like
to volunteer to be an Org Admin, do let me know.

On a lighter note, the application structure was a bit different than
previous years due to the new website. They say that it supports persisting
the organization information which should mean less work while applying for
GSoC in upcoming years.

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-15 20:34       ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-15 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder
  Cc: Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar,
	ZheNing Hu, Taylor Blau

On 13/02/22 7:05 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 10:32 AM Christian Couder
> <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:
>
>> I am also available and interested in mentoring and I can reuse a
>> project prepared for the last Outreachy round too.
>
> I added the "Unify ref-filter formats with other pretty formats" to
> continue Hariom Verma's work during GSoC 2020. I would be happy to
> co-mentor it if someone is interested to co-mentor it with me.

I would be willing to co-mentor it with you. In case anyone else
prefers to co-mentor this one, that's fine too. I can leave it
to them :)

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-15 23:18       ` Hariom verma
From: Hariom verma @ 2022-02-15 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 2:59 PM Christian Couder
<christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I added the "Unify ref-filter formats with other pretty formats" to
> continue Hariom Verma's work during GSoC 2020. I would be happy to
> co-mentor it if someone is interested to co-mentor it with me.

Since I worked on this for quite some time. I maybe am able to provide
some insights. If it's not too late, I would like to co-mentor it with
you.

Thanks,
Hariom

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-16 15:40         ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-02-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hariom verma
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 12:18 AM Hariom verma <hariom18599@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 2:59 PM Christian Couder
> <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I added the "Unify ref-filter formats with other pretty formats" to
> > continue Hariom Verma's work during GSoC 2020. I would be happy to
> > co-mentor it if someone is interested to co-mentor it with me.
>
> Since I worked on this for quite some time. I maybe am able to provide
> some insights. If it's not too late, I would like to co-mentor it with
> you.

Great! I am happy to co-mentor it with you!

Kaartic, I hope it's ok for you.

Thanks both,
Christian.

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-16 15:55         ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-02-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Git Community, Philip Oakley, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Derrick Stolee,
	Victoria Dye

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 9:32 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
<kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/02/22 3:03 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 7:12 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
> > <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On a related note, the organization registrations are now open for this year.
> >> The deadline is February 21 - 18:00 UTC. I'm not sure if anyone else is
> >> planning on applying for Git. In case no one else beats me to it, I plan on
> >> applying for Git around February 15 17:00 UTC.
> >
> > I was thinking about applying for Git, but I am glad that you plan to
> > do it. I will try to add some project ideas to SoC-2022-Ideas.md
> > before February 15.
>
> Thanks for adding it! I've applied for Git in GSoC 2022. The application
> information could be found here:
>
>    https://git.github.io/SoC-2022-Org-Application/

Thanks for applying!

> Let me know in case anything needs to be tweaked. I mentioned that we have
> 5 mentors available counting Stolee, Victoria, Christian, Taylor and myself.
> Also, I've invited Christian as an Org Admin. In case anyone else would like
> to volunteer to be an Org Admin, do let me know.

Thanks, I accepted the invite!

Not sure we can invite possible mentors yet.

> On a lighter note, the application structure was a bit different than
> previous years due to the new website. They say that it supports persisting
> the organization information which should mean less work while applying for
> GSoC in upcoming years.

Nice!

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-17 15:07           ` Hariom verma
From: Hariom verma @ 2022-02-17 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 9:10 PM Christian Couder

@ 2022-02-17 17:18           ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-17 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder, Hariom verma
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On 16/02/22 9:10 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 12:18 AM Hariom verma <hariom18599@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 2:59 PM Christian Couder
>> <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I added the "Unify ref-filter formats with other pretty formats" to
>>> continue Hariom Verma's work during GSoC 2020. I would be happy to
>>> co-mentor it if someone is interested to co-mentor it with me.
>>
>> Since I worked on this for quite some time. I maybe am able to provide
>> some insights. If it's not too late, I would like to co-mentor it with
>> you.
>
> Great! I am happy to co-mentor it with you!

Yeah. That's great! Hariom, would you mind opening a PR to mention yourself
as a mentor in SoC-2022-Ideas.md [1] ?

> Kaartic, I hope it's ok for you.

Now worries at all. I'm actually glad Hariom volunteered to mentor as he's
more appropriate a co-mentor for the project :-)

[1]: https://github.com/git/git.github.io/blob/master/SoC-2022-Ideas.md

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-17 17:28           ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-17 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder
  Cc: Git Community, Philip Oakley, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,

On 16/02/22 9:25 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 9:32 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
>
> Thanks, I accepted the invite!
>
> Not sure we can invite possible mentors yet.

Yeah. Inviting mentors isn't possible yet. It's possible only after the
org application has been accepted. We'll know the status of our org
application by March 7 - 18:00 UTC [1]

@ 2022-02-18  2:14             ` Hariom verma
From: Hariom verma @ 2022-02-18  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Christian Couder, Taylor Blau, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:48 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
<kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah. That's great! Hariom, would you mind opening a PR to mention yourself
> as a mentor in SoC-2022-Ideas.md [1] ?

Yeah, sure. Done.
(https://github.com/git/git.github.io/pull/559)

Thanks
Hariom

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-26 20:29   ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-26 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau
  Cc: Git Community, Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi Taylor,

On 27/01/22 1:35 am, Taylor Blau wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:59:16PM +0530, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>> First, are we interested in participating in the 2022 round of
>> GSoC?
>
> I think it would be great to participate this year, provided that we can
> come up with some interesting projects and mentors to help out.
>
>>      Taylor showed interest in a bitmap-related project during
>>      the Outreachy application period [4]. Taylor, are you still
>>      interested in mentoring a bitmap-related project? Would it
>>      be possible for you to do so for the upcoming GSoC?
>
> I'm available and interested in mentoring. I don't think I found many
> interested folks via Outreachy who wanted to work on bitmaps, but I
> think it's worth trying again via GSoC. I can rejigger the proposed
> projects there a bit, too.

Thanks for adding the ideas to the SoC-2022-Ideas[1] list! I noticed that
you're the only one mentioned as mentor for the idea there. It's usually
good to have at least 2 mentors per project. Is anyone else interested
in co-mentoring with Taylor for the idea?

[1]: https://git.github.io/SoC-2022-Ideas/

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-28 11:03     ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-02-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 9:30 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
<kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for adding the ideas to the SoC-2022-Ideas[1] list! I noticed that
> you're the only one mentioned as mentor for the idea there. It's usually
> good to have at least 2 mentors per project. Is anyone else interested
> in co-mentoring with Taylor for the idea?

If no one else wants to co-mentor with Taylor, I am happy with it.

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-02-28 18:02       ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-02-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi all,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 4:33 PM Christian Couder
<christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 9:30 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
> <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for adding the ideas to the SoC-2022-Ideas[1] list! I noticed that
> > you're the only one mentioned as mentor for the idea there. It's usually
> > good to have at least 2 mentors per project. Is anyone else interested
> > in co-mentoring with Taylor for the idea?
>
> If no one else wants to co-mentor with Taylor, I am happy with it.

If it's fine, I would be willing to co-mentor with Taylor. In case
there are other
potential mentors who are willing to volunteer, do chime in :-)

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-03-01 13:51         ` Christian Couder
From: Christian Couder @ 2022-03-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 7:02 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
<kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 4:33 PM Christian Couder
> <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 9:30 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
> > <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for adding the ideas to the SoC-2022-Ideas[1] list! I noticed that
> > > you're the only one mentioned as mentor for the idea there. It's usually
> > > good to have at least 2 mentors per project. Is anyone else interested
> > > in co-mentoring with Taylor for the idea?
> >
> > If no one else wants to co-mentor with Taylor, I am happy with it.
>
> If it's fine, I would be willing to co-mentor with Taylor. In case
> there are other
> potential mentors who are willing to volunteer, do chime in :-)

Great! As I already co-mentor another project, I will let you
co-mentor this one with Taylor.

Thanks!

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-03-04 18:34           ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-03-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Couder, Taylor Blau
  Cc: Git Community, Junio C Hamano, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

On 01/03/22 7:21 pm, Christian Couder wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 7:02 PM Kaartic Sivaraam
> <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 4:33 PM Christian Couder
>> <christian.couder@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If no one else wants to co-mentor with Taylor, I am happy with it.
>>
>> If it's fine, I would be willing to co-mentor with Taylor. In case
>> there are other
>> potential mentors who are willing to volunteer, do chime in :-)
>
> Great! As I already co-mentor another project, I will let you
> co-mentor this one with Taylor.

Nice. Thanks for the opportunity! I've mentioned myself as a
co-mentor for the bitmap improvements project [1].

Taylor, do let me know in case you have any concerns about this.

[1]: https://git.github.io/SoC-2022-Ideas/

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-03-07 19:38 ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-03-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,
	Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Derrick Stolee, Victoria Dye,
	Hariom verma, Philip Oakley, Bagas Sanjaya

Hi all,

I'm glad to share the news that Git has been accepted as a mentoring
organization [1] for GSoC!

Since it is possible to invite mentors now, I've invited the mentors who
have suggested ideas[2] so far. I've used the e-mail mentioned in the
ideas page to send the invite.

Some upcoming GSoC deadlines for reference:

1. April 4 - 18:00 UTC - GSoC contributor application period begins
2. April 19 - 18:00 UTC - GSoC contributor application deadline
3. May 12 - 18:00 UTC - GSoC contributor slot requests due from Org Admins
4. May 20 - 18:00 UTC - Accepted GSoC contributor projects announced

Full timeline available in [3].

That said, there's still time to propose new ideas. In case anyone has
ideas that are worth pursuing for GSoC contributors, do feel free to
share them.

[1]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2022/organizations/git
[2]: https://git.github.io/SoC-2022-Ideas/
[3]: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

--
Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-03-07 19:50   ` Derrick Stolee
From: Derrick Stolee @ 2022-03-07 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam, Git Community
  Cc: Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer,

On 3/7/2022 2:38 PM, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm glad to share the news that Git has been accepted as a mentoring
> organization [1] for GSoC!

Excellent news! Thanks for all your hard work on the application.

> Since it is possible to invite mentors now, I've invited the mentors who
> have suggested ideas[2] so far. I've used the e-mail mentioned in the
> ideas page to send the invite.

I've submitted the form for mine. Thanks!

-Stolee

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-03-07 22:25   ` Hariom verma
From: Hariom verma @ 2022-03-07 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Git Community, Christian Couder, Junio C Hamano, Taylor Blau,
	Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu, Derrick Stolee,
	Victoria Dye, Philip Oakley, Bagas Sanjaya

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 1:08 AM Kaartic Sivaraam
<kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm glad to share the news that Git has been accepted as a mentoring
> organization [1] for GSoC!
>
> Since it is possible to invite mentors now, I've invited the mentors who
> have suggested ideas[2] so far. I've used the e-mail mentioned in the
> ideas page to send the invite.

Great. I have accepted the invitation.

Thanks,
Hariom

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-03-09 11:49         ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2022-03-09 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaartic Sivaraam
  Cc: Christian Couder, Bagas Sanjaya, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:

> On 28/01/22 4:15 pm, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> >
> > A project that I would personally find a lot of fun, with a great impact,
> > and never really talked about on this list, would be to offer a good
> > replacement for the `git daemon`: its purpose is to make it easy to stand
> > up an ad-hoc server, to allow developers to clone/fetch (and even push, if
> > that is enabled) via the network, unauthenticated. Now, the git://
> > protocol has served us well in the beginning, but it is increasingly
> > obvious that we should use https:// wherever possible. Wouldn't it be fun
> > to have a `git daemon` that talks https:// by default, maybe even
> > optionally offering a real web UI via gitweb? This is not as huge of a
> > project as it sounds, Jeff Hostetler already did a ton of work to that end
> > over in the Microsoft fork of Git: the `test-gvfs-protocol` helper is used
> > in the regression tests to offer Git repositories via http:// and the
> > biggest task to convert this to an HTTP-speaking `git daemon` would be to
> > rip out the GVFS parts. After that, HTTPS support could be added.
> >

> Sounds interesting. Would you mind drafting this into a project proposal
> for GSoC. Then we could add it to the list of ideas document [1].
>
> Also, would you be willing to mentor a student in case they pick this
> project? Or would you rather leave it to others?

I would _love_ to mentor a student, but my time constraints do not allow
me to do that.

Sorry,
Dscho

> [1]: https://github.com/git/git.github.io/pull/540
>
> --
> Sivaraam

* Re: Git in GSoC 2022?
@ 2022-03-09 19:57           ` Kaartic Sivaraam
From: Kaartic Sivaraam @ 2022-03-09 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin
  Cc: Christian Couder, Bagas Sanjaya, Git Community, Junio C Hamano,
	Taylor Blau, Emily Shaffer, Atharva Raykar, ZheNing Hu

Hi Dscho,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 5:19 PM Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Kaartic,
>
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2022, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:
>
> > On 28/01/22 4:15 pm, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > >
> > > A project that I would personally find a lot of fun, with a great impact,
> > > and never really talked about on this list, would be to offer a good
> > > replacement for the `git daemon`: its purpose is to make it easy to stand
> > > up an ad-hoc server, to allow developers to clone/fetch (and even push, if
> > > that is enabled) via the network, unauthenticated. Now, the git://
> > > protocol has served us well in the beginning, but it is increasingly
> > > obvious that we should use https:// wherever possible. Wouldn't it be fun
> > > to have a `git daemon` that talks https:// by default, maybe even
> > > optionally offering a real web UI via gitweb? This is not as huge of a
> > > project as it sounds, Jeff Hostetler already did a ton of work to that end
> > > over in the Microsoft fork of Git: the `test-gvfs-protocol` helper is used
> > > in the regression tests to offer Git repositories via http:// and the
> > > biggest task to convert this to an HTTP-speaking `git daemon` would be to
> > > rip out the GVFS parts. After that, HTTPS support could be added.
> > >

> > Sounds interesting. Would you mind drafting this into a project proposal
> > for GSoC. Then we could add it to the list of ideas document [1].
> >
> > Also, would you be willing to mentor a student in case they pick this
> > project? Or would you rather leave it to others?
>
> I would _love_ to mentor a student, but my time constraints do not allow
> me to do that.

That's understandable. Thanks for sharing the project idea!

In case anyone else is interested to volunteer as a mentor for this project,
do chime in. We could then add this one to the ideas list.

--
Sivaraam