From: Chenxiao Zhao <chenxiao.zhao@gmail.com>
To: Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com>,
	Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@kernel.org>
Cc: "xen-devel@lists.xen.org" <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>
Subject: Re: questions of vm save/restore on arm64
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 18:32:48 -0700	[thread overview]

On 6/3/2016 3:16 AM, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 03/06/16 18:05, Chenxiao Zhao wrote:
>> I finally found out that the problem is that the toolstack did not get
>> corret p2m_size while sending all pages on save(always be zero). After I
>> fixed that, the guest could be restored but guest kernel caught
>> handle_mm_fault().
>>
>> where do you think I'm going to investigate, guest kernel hibernation
>> restore or xen?
>
> The hibernation support for ARM64 has only been merged recently in the
> kernel. Which kernel are you using?

Hi Julien,

I'm using a linaro ported Linux kernel 4.1 for hikey from this link.

https://github.com/96boards/linux/tree/android-hikey-linaro-4.1

I also applied following patches to make the kernel support hibernation.

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg477769.html
[2] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-12/msg01068.html

> Also, what are the modifications you have made to support Xen
> suspend/resume for ARM64?

I believe I have posted my modifications on xen in the first mail of
this thread.

 From my understanding, a kernel hibernation will cause kernel to save
memories to disk(swap partition). But on guest save progress, the
hibernation for domU does not make the guest save memories to disk. it's
more like suspend all processes in guest, and memors actually depends on
xen toolstack to save the pages to file. Am I correct?

Looking forward for your advice.

Thanks.