* MAINTAINERS entry for ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
@ 2016-10-10 14:08 Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2016-10-10 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hello Stephen Boyd,

The MAINTAINERS entry looks like this:

ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
M:      Russell King <linux@armlinux.org.uk>
L:      linux-arm-kernel at lists.infradead.org (moderated for non-subscribers)
S:      Maintained
F:      arch/arm/include/asm/clkdev.h
F:      drivers/clk/clkdev.c

We removed arch/arm/include/asm/clkdev.h in 34d2f4d3a4d6a6b ('ARM: Use
generic clkdev.h header').  Do you still need to be CC'd on the clkdev.c
changes?

regards,
dan carpenter

* MAINTAINERS entry for ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
@ 2016-10-10 14:18 ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2016-10-10 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 05:08:10PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> Hello Stephen Boyd,

Okay, that's really not nice.

This is _not_ a question for Stephen.  Stephen does _not_ co-maintain
clkdev or the clk API, but co-maintains CCF.  I've no idea why you are
addressing this to Stephen when this is clearly a question for me to
answer.

> The MAINTAINERS entry looks like this:
>
> ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
> M:      Russell King <linux@armlinux.org.uk>
> L:      linux-arm-kernel at lists.infradead.org (moderated for non-subscribers)
> S:      Maintained
> F:      arch/arm/include/asm/clkdev.h
> F:      drivers/clk/clkdev.c
>

> We removed arch/arm/include/asm/clkdev.h in 34d2f4d3a4d6a6b ('ARM: Use
> generic clkdev.h header').  Do you still need to be CC'd on the clkdev.c
> changes?

Technically, it is redundant anyway, as I'm listed for all arch/arm
changes.  However, the maintainership of arch/arm and the maintainership
of clkdev are separate, the explicit entry is quite right.

It's also right that it's retained, because if we stop using the generic
clkdev.h header, I want to be copied on such a change, and this entry
will allow checkpatch to list me as clkdev maintainer.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.

* MAINTAINERS entry for ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
@ 2016-10-26 19:19   ` Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2016-10-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 03:18:19PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 05:08:10PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > Hello Stephen Boyd,
>
> Okay, that's really not nice.
>
> This is _not_ a question for Stephen.  Stephen does _not_ co-maintain
> clkdev or the clk API, but co-maintains CCF.  I've no idea why you are
> addressing this to Stephen when this is clearly a question for me to
> answer.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.  He's the one who deleted the clkdev.h
file though so I thought he might know if it should still be listed or
if it was gone for good.

The clkdev.c question was a throw away thing that occured to me before I
hit send.

regards,
dan carpenter

* MAINTAINERS entry for ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
@ 2016-10-26 21:31     ` Stephen Boyd
From: Stephen Boyd @ 2016-10-26 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 10/26/2016 12:19 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 03:18:19PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 05:08:10PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>>> Hello Stephen Boyd,
>> Okay, that's really not nice.
>>
>> This is _not_ a question for Stephen.  Stephen does _not_ co-maintain
>> clkdev or the clk API, but co-maintains CCF.  I've no idea why you are
>> addressing this to Stephen when this is clearly a question for me to
>> answer.
>>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.  He's the one who deleted the clkdev.h
> file though so I thought he might know if it should still be listed or
> if it was gone for good.

Yes, the arm version isn't coming back. We should delete
arch/arm/include/asm/clkdev.h from the maintainers file and perhaps
replace it with the asm-generic one. But we can delete the generic file
too once blackfin removes their clkdev.h header. That patch is still
outstanding.

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project

* MAINTAINERS entry for ARM/CLKDEV SUPPORT
@ 2016-10-31 15:52       ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2016-10-31 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 02:31:31PM -0700, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 12:19 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> >> Okay, that's really not nice.
> >>
> >> This is _not_ a question for Stephen.  Stephen does _not_ co-maintain
> >> clkdev or the clk API, but co-maintains CCF.  I've no idea why you are
> >> addressing this to Stephen when this is clearly a question for me to
> >> answer.
> >>
> > Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.  He's the one who deleted the clkdev.h
> > file though so I thought he might know if it should still be listed or
> > if it was gone for good.
> >

> Yes, the arm version isn't coming back. We should delete
> arch/arm/include/asm/clkdev.h from the maintainers file and perhaps
> replace it with the asm-generic one.

I disagree.  See my reply to the original mail for the reasons.