From: "Ajay Singh \(ajaysi\)" <ajaysi@cisco.com>
To: kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org, linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org,
	Rizvan <rizzkhan@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: kernel porting query
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:29:19 +0530	[thread overview]

-----Original Message-----
From: Rizvan [mailto:rizzkhan@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 10:13 AM
To: Ajay Singh (ajaysi)

On 2/16/07, Ajay Singh (ajaysi) <ajaysi@cisco.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> 1) Can any one please shed some light on precisely and exactly what
> are differences in different boards for which we need to port linux?
>
> The differences depends on the boards ... Mostly if they belong to the

> same family the differences could be mainly in the peripherials ...
> Interrupt mappings... Serial interface ... Memory sizes (if differnet
> boards have different memory sizes) ... Sometimes some devices may be
> moved to some other locations in the memory map (Look at memory map of

> your SoC on your board).
>
> 2) Also, I would appreciate if you could point out code portions /
> source files that need to be changed in the process of porting Linux?
>
> Look in linux-2.6.20\arch\mips\mips-boards for help on porting to your

> board. You can add directory specific to your board here.
> I think you can start from xxx_setup.c file in the above directory.

Hi Ajay,

This is very good information, I have some issue with my board during
porting.
All things are same bet old and new board except clock frequency, still
my reboot (warm reset) is not working ? ANy idea ?

Ajay> Are you calling mips_reboot_setup() in your plat_mem_setup()? You
may have to modify/add code to mips_reboot_setup() specific to your
board.

Is this due to boot stramp or NAND Flash mapped to other address ?

Ajay> I don't think that can be the issue.

Ajay> Also please mail to the list so that others can also see your
queries and suggest better answers.

Ajay.

Thanks
Rizvan