* [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-23 18:39 Jonathan Corbet
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2017-06-23 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

The docs pull for 4.13 will include the conversion of the last DocBook
template files, thanks mostly to Mauro.  That's the good news; the bad
news is that I get to explain a lot of merge conflicts to Linus, most of
which result from other trees reaching into Documentation/ and changing
files that have been converted.

I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
source-tree hierarchy.

We could also talk about the state of the RST conversion and whether/how
we'd like it to continue.  Perhaps we would rather, as Peter recently
suggested, "just delete all that nonsense and go back to 80 column 7bit
ASCII"?  In general, what do the maintainers want from the documentation
subsystem, and how can we make it easy to continue improving our docs?

jon

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-23 23:09 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-23 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Friday, June 23, 2017 12:39:36 PM Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> The docs pull for 4.13 will include the conversion of the last DocBook
> template files, thanks mostly to Mauro.  That's the good news; the bad
> news is that I get to explain a lot of merge conflicts to Linus, most of
> which result from other trees reaching into Documentation/ and changing
> files that have been converted.
>
> I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
> there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
> maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
> source-tree hierarchy.
>
> We could also talk about the state of the RST conversion and whether/how
> we'd like it to continue.  Perhaps we would rather, as Peter recently
> suggested, "just delete all that nonsense and go back to 80 column 7bit
> ASCII"?  In general, what do the maintainers want from the documentation
> subsystem, and how can we make it easy to continue improving our docs?

For one, I'm going to continue converting PM documentation to RST and I would
not welcome deleting the existing .txt one until that is complete.

Same goes for ACPI, pretty much.

Also I don't expect too many documentation-related merge conflicts in the PM
case going forward.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-24 10:46 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-06-24 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

Em Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:39:36 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> escreveu:

> The docs pull for 4.13 will include the conversion of the last DocBook
> template files, thanks mostly to Mauro.  That's the good news; the bad
> news is that I get to explain a lot of merge conflicts to Linus, most of
> which result from other trees reaching into Documentation/ and changing
> files that have been converted.
>
> I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
> there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
> maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
> source-tree hierarchy.

Unfortunately, conflicts are unavoidable for such kind of conversion,
as git won't identify it as a rename.

> We could also talk about the state of the RST conversion and whether/how
> we'd like it to continue.  Perhaps we would rather, as Peter recently
> suggested, "just delete all that nonsense and go back to 80 column 7bit
> ASCII"?  In general, what do the maintainers want from the documentation
> subsystem, and how can we make it easy to continue improving our docs?

From my side, going to plain ASCII is a very bad idea.

After converting hundreds of text files to ReST, the big problem we have
with text files is that they don't use the same notation. It is a big
mess. Even before the ReST conversion, what we had is:

	Some files there doesn't even have titles
	Some files use markdown
	Some files use MediaWiki notation
	Some files use ReST
	Some files use their own notation.

I guess the great benefit of adopting ReST (with would have been
achieved if we had adopted any other notation) is that now we have a
documentation style.

Just placing all documents in the same style is a huge improvement
from what we had before.

Being able of grouping the documents into books is another big
advantage. It is now clearer where some document should be placed.

Also, several text editors (both TUI and GUI) are able to recognize
ReST format and use colors for highlights.

So, there are improvements even for those that don't care about
fancy html/pdf books, as the documentation will look more coherent
and better organized.

In the specific case of media, converting to plain ASCII is a *huge*
regression, and some tables simply don't fit at a 80 columns
requirement. In summary, We have several tables there to describe
bit fields on a 64-bits word (for example, do describe how images
are encoded). For such tables, we would require at least 210+ characters
per line. So, converting them to plain ASCII simply makes them a lot
worse to read.

Also, as our uAPI documentation was always using an enriched text
language (they were originally written in LaTeX and PDF, back in the
nineties), converting them to plain ASCII actually means to rewrite
the entire thing.

Even the conversion to ReST required us to change the format of
several tables (as we were using a lot to have tables inside tables,
and ReST doesn't support it). Thankfully, Markus found a way to
do such conversion via script. Yet, we had lots of manual work to
fix stuff after that.

So, I think we should continue the conversion.

-

From my PoV, after the next merge window, we shouldn't expect more
conflicts related to DocBook conversion.

However, we'll still have conflicts for the files that are under
Documentation/*.txt, as there are stuff there from random subsystems,
although get_maintainers usually point them all to the docs subsystem.

I recently took the effort of sending patches converting all those
text patches to ReST (except for logo.txt). I opted to not rename them
to ReST nor add them on any existing book[1], in order to avoid
merge conflicts.

[1] I added a patch that creates an "unsorted" book at the end of
series meant just to allow testing the conversion.

IMHO, the next step would be to merge those patches by the end of the
next merge window (in order to avoid most conflicts).

Then, I would move those files to subdirectories, renaming them to ReST
and adding on some index.rst file.

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-24 12:03   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-24 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 01:09:28 AM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, June 23, 2017 12:39:36 PM Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > The docs pull for 4.13 will include the conversion of the last DocBook
> > template files, thanks mostly to Mauro.  That's the good news; the bad
> > news is that I get to explain a lot of merge conflicts to Linus, most of
> > which result from other trees reaching into Documentation/ and changing
> > files that have been converted.
> >
> > I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
> > there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
> > maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
> > source-tree hierarchy.
> >
> > We could also talk about the state of the RST conversion and whether/how
> > we'd like it to continue.  Perhaps we would rather, as Peter recently
> > suggested, "just delete all that nonsense and go back to 80 column 7bit
> > ASCII"?  In general, what do the maintainers want from the documentation
> > subsystem, and how can we make it easy to continue improving our docs?
>
> For one, I'm going to continue converting PM documentation to RST and I would
> not welcome deleting the existing .txt one until that is complete.
>
> Same goes for ACPI, pretty much.
>
> Also I don't expect too many documentation-related merge conflicts in the PM
> case going forward.

I should probably add that I find RST much more appealing than "80 column 7bit
ASCII" at least because of how it allows cross-references to be expressed if
nothing else.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-24 12:20   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-24 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 07:46:41 AM Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:39:36 -0600
> Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> escreveu:
>
> > The docs pull for 4.13 will include the conversion of the last DocBook
> > template files, thanks mostly to Mauro.  That's the good news; the bad
> > news is that I get to explain a lot of merge conflicts to Linus, most of
> > which result from other trees reaching into Documentation/ and changing
> > files that have been converted.
> >
> > I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
> > there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
> > maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
> > source-tree hierarchy.
>
> Unfortunately, conflicts are unavoidable for such kind of conversion,
> as git won't identify it as a rename.
>
> > We could also talk about the state of the RST conversion and whether/how
> > we'd like it to continue.  Perhaps we would rather, as Peter recently
> > suggested, "just delete all that nonsense and go back to 80 column 7bit
> > ASCII"?  In general, what do the maintainers want from the documentation
> > subsystem, and how can we make it easy to continue improving our docs?
>
> From my side, going to plain ASCII is a very bad idea.
>
> After converting hundreds of text files to ReST, the big problem we have
> with text files is that they don't use the same notation. It is a big
> mess. Even before the ReST conversion, what we had is:
>
> 	Some files there doesn't even have titles
> 	Some files use markdown
> 	Some files use MediaWiki notation
> 	Some files use ReST
> 	Some files use their own notation.
>
> I guess the great benefit of adopting ReST (with would have been
> achieved if we had adopted any other notation) is that now we have a
> documentation style.
>
> Just placing all documents in the same style is a huge improvement
> from what we had before.

Agreed.

> Being able of grouping the documents into books is another big
> advantage. It is now clearer where some document should be placed.

I'm not so sure about this one.

I sometimes find it somewhat hard to split things to make them fall nicely into
one of the prescribed "bins".

I guess it gets easier when writing documentation from scratch.

> Also, several text editors (both TUI and GUI) are able to recognize
> ReST format and use colors for highlights.

Honestly, I've had a mixed experience with that.  In some cases I wish they
had not done that. :-)

> So, there are improvements even for those that don't care about
> fancy html/pdf books, as the documentation will look more coherent
> and better organized.

I actually think that being able to generate HTML output with active
cross-reference links is a *huge* advantage as it makes it way easier to
browse it (plus the fact that it is automatically made available in HTML
by kernel.org).

> In the specific case of media, converting to plain ASCII is a *huge*
> regression, and some tables simply don't fit at a 80 columns
> requirement. In summary, We have several tables there to describe
> bit fields on a 64-bits word (for example, do describe how images
> are encoded). For such tables, we would require at least 210+ characters
> per line. So, converting them to plain ASCII simply makes them a lot
> worse to read.
>
> Also, as our uAPI documentation was always using an enriched text
> language (they were originally written in LaTeX and PDF, back in the
> nineties), converting them to plain ASCII actually means to rewrite
> the entire thing.
>
> Even the conversion to ReST required us to change the format of
> several tables (as we were using a lot to have tables inside tables,
> and ReST doesn't support it). Thankfully, Markus found a way to
> do such conversion via script. Yet, we had lots of manual work to
> fix stuff after that.
>
> So, I think we should continue the conversion.

I agree and, as I said, I'm going to do that for the PM and ACPI documentation.

At the same time I think it would be good to take that as an opportinity to
improve the *content* of the documentation files as well, so not just
convert them, but also make them more up to date etc in the process.

> -
>
> From my PoV, after the next merge window, we shouldn't expect more
> conflicts related to DocBook conversion.
>
> However, we'll still have conflicts for the files that are under
> Documentation/*.txt, as there are stuff there from random subsystems,
> although get_maintainers usually point them all to the docs subsystem.
>
> I recently took the effort of sending patches converting all those
> text patches to ReST (except for logo.txt). I opted to not rename them
> to ReST nor add them on any existing book[1], in order to avoid
> merge conflicts.
>
> [1] I added a patch that creates an "unsorted" book at the end of
> series meant just to allow testing the conversion.
>
> IMHO, the next step would be to merge those patches by the end of the
> next merge window (in order to avoid most conflicts).
>
> Then, I would move those files to subdirectories, renaming them to ReST
> and adding on some index.rst file.

One comment on that.

There are pieces of .txt documentation falling into the "well-knows source of
information" category, with many references to them all over the Web.
kernel-parameters.txt is probably the most spectacular example here, but there
are others.

Let us not move or rename these, please, or at least put symbolic links in
place to point to the new locations or similar, such that the existing WWW
links pointing to the documentation at kernel.org still work going forward.

And if we have moved or renamed them already, can we possibly make these
links work again somehow?

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-24 13:41     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
       [not found]       ` <CAFhKne8ZttmqWYJToCw9EDywzeMdp=eiFpoZ+O5xrzmKnpA09Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-06-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

Em Sat, 24 Jun 2017 14:20:40 +0200
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net> escreveu:

> On Saturday, June 24, 2017 07:46:41 AM Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:39:36 -0600
> > Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> escreveu:
> >

> > Being able of grouping the documents into books is another big
> > advantage. It is now clearer where some document should be placed.
>
> I'm not so sure about this one.
>
> I sometimes find it somewhat hard to split things to make them fall nicely into
> one of the prescribed "bins".

Yeah, one of the problems with existing documentation is that,
sometimes, the same document describes both userspace-relevant
info and kernelspace APIs.

While sometimes it makes sense to split those two, on other cases,
it doesn't. That's specially true on documentation for an specific
driver. For example the cpia2 driver documentation:
	https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/media/v4l-drivers/cpia2.html

contains a mix of user's information and programmers information.
I found lots of similar cases on the documentation for input drivers.

I guess one of the discussions we need to have is with regards
to how to better organize things.

Anyway, that forces us to think about better organizing the stuff
we have, so, IMHO, it is a good thing.

> I guess it gets easier when writing documentation from scratch.

Yes.

> > Also, several text editors (both TUI and GUI) are able to recognize
> > ReST format and use colors for highlights.
>
> Honestly, I've had a mixed experience with that.  In some cases I wish they
> had not done that. :-)

:-)

Yeah, there are bugs on highlights on some tools. Yet, I like it,
because, when visualizing docs in text mode, it does emphasis to things
like bold, italics, etc.

> > So, there are improvements even for those that don't care about
> > fancy html/pdf books, as the documentation will look more coherent
> > and better organized.
>
> I actually think that being able to generate HTML output with active
> cross-reference links is a *huge* advantage as it makes it way easier to
> browse it (plus the fact that it is automatically made available in HTML
> by kernel.org).

Yes, that's a huge advantage. It also allows me reply with URLs when
complaining about someone not doing the right thing, instead of
writing otherwise longer explanations.

> > In the specific case of media, converting to plain ASCII is a *huge*
> > regression, and some tables simply don't fit at a 80 columns
> > requirement. In summary, We have several tables there to describe
> > bit fields on a 64-bits word (for example, do describe how images
> > are encoded). For such tables, we would require at least 210+ characters
> > per line. So, converting them to plain ASCII simply makes them a lot
> > worse to read.
> >
> > Also, as our uAPI documentation was always using an enriched text
> > language (they were originally written in LaTeX and PDF, back in the
> > nineties), converting them to plain ASCII actually means to rewrite
> > the entire thing.
> >
> > Even the conversion to ReST required us to change the format of
> > several tables (as we were using a lot to have tables inside tables,
> > and ReST doesn't support it). Thankfully, Markus found a way to
> > do such conversion via script. Yet, we had lots of manual work to
> > fix stuff after that.
> >
> > So, I think we should continue the conversion.
>
> I agree and, as I said, I'm going to do that for the PM and ACPI documentation.
>
> At the same time I think it would be good to take that as an opportinity to
> improve the *content* of the documentation files as well, so not just
> convert them, but also make them more up to date etc in the process.

Agreed. From my experience of converting documents outside my main
area of domain, a lot of documents are getting more attention in the
conversion process, with attract patches for fixing broken stuff on them.

> > -
> >
> > From my PoV, after the next merge window, we shouldn't expect more
> > conflicts related to DocBook conversion.
> >
> > However, we'll still have conflicts for the files that are under
> > Documentation/*.txt, as there are stuff there from random subsystems,
> > although get_maintainers usually point them all to the docs subsystem.
> >
> > I recently took the effort of sending patches converting all those
> > text patches to ReST (except for logo.txt). I opted to not rename them
> > to ReST nor add them on any existing book[1], in order to avoid
> > merge conflicts.
> >
> > [1] I added a patch that creates an "unsorted" book at the end of
> > series meant just to allow testing the conversion.
> >
> > IMHO, the next step would be to merge those patches by the end of the
> > next merge window (in order to avoid most conflicts).
> >
> > Then, I would move those files to subdirectories, renaming them to ReST
> > and adding on some index.rst file.
>
> One comment on that.
>
> There are pieces of .txt documentation falling into the "well-knows source of
> information" category, with many references to them all over the Web.
> kernel-parameters.txt is probably the most spectacular example here, but there
> are others.
>
> Let us not move or rename these, please, or at least put symbolic links in
> place to point to the new locations or similar, such that the existing WWW
> links pointing to the documentation at kernel.org still work going forward.
>
> And if we have moved or renamed them already, can we possibly make these
> links work again somehow?

Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
"well known" documents:

	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
	   new location;
	2) use symlink.

Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
do (1) or (2).

My personal preference is for (1), as it force people to update
cross-references to the right place, but I'm OK with (2) too.

A separate matter is what are those "well known" documents. I bet
different Kernel developers will point to different sets of documents
they consider to be the ones that require some sort of symlinks ;-)

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-25 16:13     ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2017-06-25 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, ksummit-discuss

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 14:20:40 +0200
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net> wrote:

> At the same time I think it would be good to take that as an opportinity to
> improve the *content* of the documentation files as well, so not just
> convert them, but also make them more up to date etc in the process.

This is certainly an area of ongoing concern.  There has been a fair
amount of energy put into the transition, which is great, but if it comes
down to "make a bunch of crufty old stuff look better with
cross-references to other crufty old stuff", it's not that big a win.

My hope, I guess, is that making the documentation more coherent and
approachable will inspire more people to also work to make it better.

jon

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-25 20:56       ` Jiri Kosina
                           ` (2 more replies)
       [not found]       ` <CAFhKne8ZttmqWYJToCw9EDywzeMdp=eiFpoZ+O5xrzmKnpA09Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2017-06-25 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > There are pieces of .txt documentation falling into the "well-knows source of
> > information" category, with many references to them all over the Web.
> > kernel-parameters.txt is probably the most spectacular example here, but there
> > are others.
> >
> > Let us not move or rename these, please, or at least put symbolic links in
> > place to point to the new locations or similar, such that the existing WWW
> > links pointing to the documentation at kernel.org still work going forward.
> >
> > And if we have moved or renamed them already, can we possibly make these
> > links work again somehow?
>
> Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
> "well known" documents:
>
> 	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
> 	   new location;
> 	2) use symlink.
>
> Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
> do (1) or (2).

Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:

	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory

I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
       [not found]         ` <CAFhKne_W-EbjUd_Cm4kyBHrVK6K9r8Ss3gY0ogO1nztbQZYBEg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-06-25 21:32           ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2017-06-25 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

I find documentation comes in the following bins:

1. User documentation (possible sub-split into "how to use this from kernel
space" and "how to use this from user space")
2. Information for someone who's interested in modifying the code. Possibly
including architectural considerations (eg locking), performance, ideas for
future improvement, etc.
3. Random swearing and abuse

I think the second and third categories of documentation should be kept out
of the kernel books and left as plain comments by the code.

@ 2017-06-25 21:42             ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-25 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox, Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 05:32:31 PM Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> I find documentation comes in the following bins:
>
> 1. User documentation (possible sub-split into "how to use this from kernel
> space" and "how to use this from user space")
> 2. Information for someone who's interested in modifying the code. Possibly
> including architectural considerations (eg locking), performance, ideas for
> future improvement, etc.
> 3. Random swearing and abuse

There also is information on various frameworks that driver writers are expected
to use and honestly various mixtures of that with 1. above.

Mutual exclusion mechanisms also need to be documented properly IMO and so on.

> I think the second and third categories of documentation should be kept out
> of the kernel books and left as plain comments by the code.
>
> On 24 Jun 2017 9:41 am, "Mauro Carvalho Chehab" <mchehab@s-opensource.com>
> wrote:
>
> Yeah, one of the problems with existing documentation is that,
> sometimes, the same document describes both userspace-relevant
> info and kernelspace APIs.

Right.

But, alas, those things happen to be related, especially when framework-provided
sysfs attributes and similar come into play.  With the current layout of things
it sometimes is hard to avoid documenting the same thing in two different
places, risking that the two descriptions of the same thing will diverge in the
future eventually.

Moreover, does debugfs fall into "user documentation" or "developer documentation",
for example?

And generally documentation on how to diagnose problems for that matter?

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26  0:58             ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-06-26  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

Em Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:32:31 -0400
Matthew Wilcox <willy6545@gmail.com> escreveu:

> I find documentation comes in the following bins:
>
> 1. User documentation (possible sub-split into "how to use this from kernel
> space" and "how to use this from user space")
> 2. Information for someone who's interested in modifying the code. Possibly
> including architectural considerations (eg locking), performance, ideas for
> future improvement, etc.
> 3. Random swearing and abuse
>
> I think the second and third categories of documentation should be kept out
> of the kernel books and left as plain comments by the code.

Having comments together the code is good, but sometimes it is not enough.

Just as an example, last week I received two patch series, from
different developers, that didn't get right how to collect quality
measurements from digital TV frontends. The functions they use are
documented via kernel-doc, and they looked on other drivers as examples.
Still, that was not not clear enough, as both developers didn't quite
get some things.

So, I had to write a few patches to actually explain how a
frontend driver is expected to collect statistics:
	https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/42081/

And, today, I complemented with two additional texts:

	https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/42115/
	https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/42116/

As those explanations complement the kernel-doc macros from
dvb_frontend.h, they need cross references, in order for the
driver developer to better understand how things are connected,
and to avoid the need of having to explain everything that it is
already documented via kernel-doc tags, as can be seeing at:

	https://www.infradead.org/~mchehab/kernel_docs/media/kapi/dtv-core.html#digital-tv-frontend-kabi

That's just today's example. There are plenty of cases where we
need to add images and complex tables, etc that just don't fit
well as plain text.

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26  1:15               ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-06-26  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

Em Sun, 25 Jun 2017 23:42:20 +0200
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net> escreveu:

> On Sunday, June 25, 2017 05:32:31 PM Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > I find documentation comes in the following bins:
> >
> > 1. User documentation (possible sub-split into "how to use this from kernel
> > space" and "how to use this from user space")
> > 2. Information for someone who's interested in modifying the code. Possibly
> > including architectural considerations (eg locking), performance, ideas for
> > future improvement, etc.
> > 3. Random swearing and abuse
>
> There also is information on various frameworks that driver writers are expected
> to use and honestly various mixtures of that with 1. above.
>
> Mutual exclusion mechanisms also need to be documented properly IMO and so on.
>
> > I think the second and third categories of documentation should be kept out
> > of the kernel books and left as plain comments by the code.
> >
> > On 24 Jun 2017 9:41 am, "Mauro Carvalho Chehab" <mchehab@s-opensource.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, one of the problems with existing documentation is that,
> > sometimes, the same document describes both userspace-relevant
> > info and kernelspace APIs.
>
> Right.
>
> But, alas, those things happen to be related, especially when framework-provided
> sysfs attributes and similar come into play.  With the current layout of things
> it sometimes is hard to avoid documenting the same thing in two different
> places, risking that the two descriptions of the same thing will diverge in the
> future eventually.

Well, sysfs attribute description is currently a little messy, IMHO.
We have (or should have) all of them described under Documentation/ABI/,
but it is not uncommon to have them described on some other random
places. As things get bitrot, we end by having different descriptions
on each place.

I also suspect that some sysfs descriptions are only outside
Documentation/ABI/ (although I never actually tried to seek for such
issue).

> Moreover, does debugfs fall into "user documentation" or "developer documentation",
> for example?
>
> And generally documentation on how to diagnose problems for that matter?

The same thing for sysfs applies to debugfs.

IMHO, debugfs and information about how to diagnose problems
belong to "user documentation" / "how to use this from user space"
(using Matthew's classification), in the sense that an advanced
admin may use them, in order to properly address some issue that
will eventually generate a bug report (either for Kernel or to some
application/library).

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26  1:20         ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-06-26  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

Em Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200 (CEST)
Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> escreveu:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
> > > There are pieces of .txt documentation falling into the "well-knows source of
> > > information" category, with many references to them all over the Web.
> > > kernel-parameters.txt is probably the most spectacular example here, but there
> > > are others.
> > >
> > > Let us not move or rename these, please, or at least put symbolic links in
> > > place to point to the new locations or similar, such that the existing WWW
> > > links pointing to the documentation at kernel.org still work going forward.
> > >
> > > And if we have moved or renamed them already, can we possibly make these
> > > links work again somehow?
> >
> > Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
> > "well known" documents:
> >
> > 	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
> > 	   new location;
> > 	2) use symlink.
> >
> > Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
> > do (1) or (2).
>
> Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>
> 	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> 	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>
> I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
> happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.

It was not intentional in the sense of "hiding" where it
went. The idea is to keep the number of such references "minimum",
in order to avoid bloating the Documents/ with lots of (1) or (2).

So, the reason why there's currently no cross reference for it is
just because nobody decided to put it at the list of "well known"
docs that would require a cross-reference of type (1) or (2).

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26  5:58         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2017-06-26  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, ksummit-discuss

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200,
Jiri Kosina wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
> > > There are pieces of .txt documentation falling into the "well-knows source of
> > > information" category, with many references to them all over the Web.
> > > kernel-parameters.txt is probably the most spectacular example here, but there
> > > are others.
> > >
> > > Let us not move or rename these, please, or at least put symbolic links in
> > > place to point to the new locations or similar, such that the existing WWW
> > > links pointing to the documentation at kernel.org still work going forward.
> > >
> > > And if we have moved or renamed them already, can we possibly make these
> > > links work again somehow?
> >
> > Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
> > "well known" documents:
> >
> > 	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
> > 	   new location;
> > 	2) use symlink.
> >
> > Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
> > do (1) or (2).
>
> Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>
> 	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> 	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>
> I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
> happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.

If we do symlinks, wouldn't it be cleaner to separate the old doc
directory from the new doc directory?  That is, Documentation/* keeps
the old txt or symlinks while the ReST is put in another directory,
say, docs/* as originally suggested.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26 12:19 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2017-06-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:39:36PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
> there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
> maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
> source-tree hierarchy.

One thing I think it'd be good to do is work out a sensible way of
keeping the maintainers of the relevant subsystems in the loop on things
- a combination of the mechanics and how much effort we want to put into
making sure people have at least seen things.  For example it looks like
the regulator DocBook got converted to RST without me being aware of it
(it seems I did get copied on one mail at some point but I can't have
read it and there don't seem to have been any resends), that case isn't
a problem itself but it seems like an area where things could end up not
running smoothly.

I know I rely fairly heavily on subject lines to filter what I'm looking
at since some of my subsystems mean that I get copied on lots of random
stuff that's of at most passing relevance to me which ends up being an
issue with things like DT bindings sometimes (I think this is also part
of what went wrong with the regulator conversion) but that doesn't
scale since the subject lines can't easily be useful for multiple
subsystems simultaneously.  I'm not sure what else to do though, we
basically only have the subject lines and CC lists to work with here.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26 21:16                 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-26 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 10:15:46 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Sun, 25 Jun 2017 23:42:20 +0200
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net> escreveu:
>
> > On Sunday, June 25, 2017 05:32:31 PM Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > > I find documentation comes in the following bins:
> > >
> > > 1. User documentation (possible sub-split into "how to use this from kernel
> > > space" and "how to use this from user space")
> > > 2. Information for someone who's interested in modifying the code. Possibly
> > > including architectural considerations (eg locking), performance, ideas for
> > > future improvement, etc.
> > > 3. Random swearing and abuse
> >
> > There also is information on various frameworks that driver writers are expected
> > to use and honestly various mixtures of that with 1. above.
> >
> > Mutual exclusion mechanisms also need to be documented properly IMO and so on.
> >
> > > I think the second and third categories of documentation should be kept out
> > > of the kernel books and left as plain comments by the code.
> > >
> > > On 24 Jun 2017 9:41 am, "Mauro Carvalho Chehab" <mchehab@s-opensource.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, one of the problems with existing documentation is that,
> > > sometimes, the same document describes both userspace-relevant
> > > info and kernelspace APIs.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > But, alas, those things happen to be related, especially when framework-provided
> > sysfs attributes and similar come into play.  With the current layout of things
> > it sometimes is hard to avoid documenting the same thing in two different
> > places, risking that the two descriptions of the same thing will diverge in the
> > future eventually.
> >

> Well, sysfs attribute description is currently a little messy, IMHO.
> We have (or should have) all of them described under Documentation/ABI/,
> but it is not uncommon to have them described on some other random
> places. As things get bitrot, we end by having different descriptions
> on each place.
>
> I also suspect that some sysfs descriptions are only outside
> Documentation/ABI/ (although I never actually tried to seek for such
> issue).

That would be my guess too, although I don't remember any specific
examples readily.

My point is that some frameworks expose things via sysfs and drivers are
expected to provide callbacks invoked from there or similar.  The information
on what is expected to be provided falls under the "driver API", but it is
strictly related to the "admin guide" part as well.

> > Moreover, does debugfs fall into "user documentation" or "developer documentation",
> > for example?
> >
> > And generally documentation on how to diagnose problems for that matter?
>
> The same thing for sysfs applies to debugfs.
>
> IMHO, debugfs and information about how to diagnose problems
> belong to "user documentation" / "how to use this from user space"
> (using Matthew's classification), in the sense that an advanced
> admin may use them, in order to properly address some issue that
> will eventually generate a bug report (either for Kernel or to some
> application/library).

It also is part of driver developer's toolkit, however, like unit tests and such.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26 21:18           ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-26 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Jiri Kosina; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 10:20:57 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200 (CEST)
> Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> escreveu:

> > > Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
> > > "well known" documents:
> > >
> > > 	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
> > > 	   new location;
> > > 	2) use symlink.
> > >
> > > Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
> > > do (1) or (2).
> >
> > Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
> >
> > 	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> > 	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
> >
> > I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
> > happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.
>
> It was not intentional in the sense of "hiding" where it
> went. The idea is to keep the number of such references "minimum",
> in order to avoid bloating the Documents/ with lots of (1) or (2).
>
> So, the reason why there's currently no cross reference for it is
> just because nobody decided to put it at the list of "well known"
> docs that would require a cross-reference of type (1) or (2).

Which I'm reading as "please send a patch if you care" frankly. :-)

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26 21:28           ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-26 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Jiri Kosina, ksummit-discuss, ksummit-discuss

On Monday, June 26, 2017 07:58:27 AM Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200,
> Jiri Kosina wrote:

> > > Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
> > > "well known" documents:
> > >
> > > 	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
> > > 	   new location;
> > > 	2) use symlink.
> > >
> > > Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
> > > do (1) or (2).
> >
> > Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
> >
> > 	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> > 	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
> >
> > I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
> > happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.
>
> If we do symlinks, wouldn't it be cleaner to separate the old doc
> directory from the new doc directory?  That is, Documentation/* keeps
> the old txt or symlinks while the ReST is put in another directory,
> say, docs/* as originally suggested.

That actually sounds like a good idea to me. :-)

Question is if it's not too late to do that now that we have all that stuff
under Documentation/.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-26 22:18         ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2017-06-26 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, ksummit-discuss

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200 (CEST)
Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> wrote:

> Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>
> 	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> 	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>
> I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
> happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.

Worries about moving well-known files are why I delayed some of this stuff
a bit so I could bring it up at conferences and the kernel summit.  It
only proceeded after I didn't get any real pushback in those settings.

In general, we move files around in the kernel tree all the time.  We
don't normally leave symlinks behind; indeed, we never do.  Instead, we
figure out where the file moved to and get on with life.  Are
documentation files somehow different, needing different rules in this
regard?  I wouldn't mind some clarity on that point.

My hope (cue inspirational music here) is that, someday, it will be
possible to type "ls Documentation" and get back a reasonably sized
listing that is easy to explore.  Let's just say that's not the situation
at the moment.  Getting there will certainly involve moving files around;
replacing them with symlinks or pointer files would, to a real extent,
defeat the purpose.

@ 2017-06-27  8:38   ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2017-06-27  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:39:36PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>
>> I can continue in this mode, but I do wonder if there's a better way out
>> there somewhere.  So I think there would be value in a session on the
>> maintenance of "subsystems" that don't fit neatly into the kernel
>> source-tree hierarchy.
>
> One thing I think it'd be good to do is work out a sensible way of
> keeping the maintainers of the relevant subsystems in the loop on things
> - a combination of the mechanics and how much effort we want to put into
> making sure people have at least seen things.  For example it looks like
> the regulator DocBook got converted to RST without me being aware of it
> (it seems I did get copied on one mail at some point but I can't have
> read it and there don't seem to have been any resends), that case isn't
> a problem itself but it seems like an area where things could end up not
> running smoothly.
>
> I know I rely fairly heavily on subject lines to filter what I'm looking
> at since some of my subsystems mean that I get copied on lots of random
> stuff that's of at most passing relevance to me which ends up being an
> issue with things like DT bindings sometimes (I think this is also part
> of what went wrong with the regulator conversion) but that doesn't
> scale since the subject lines can't easily be useful for multiple
> subsystems simultaneously.  I'm not sure what else to do though, we
> basically only have the subject lines and CC lists to work with here.

Looking at MAINTAINERS, there's relatively few entries for files under
Documentation/, and most are for individual files (about 450). None
are for one of the remaining DocBook files still in 4.12 afaics. I
think we can fix this problem by making sure that a) docs are sorted
usefully into directories (e.g. we put all the gpu stuff into
Documentation/gpu/) and b) there's MAINTAINERS entries for all of them
(which atm doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of stuff).

But I think the lack of clear maintainer responsibilities for docs was
something Jon already brough up at the previous KS, and we didn't
really get anywhere with it.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-27  8:41             ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2017-06-27  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, ksummit-discuss, ksummit-discuss, Jiri Kosina

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@rjwysocki.net> wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 07:58:27 AM Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200,
>> Jiri Kosina wrote:

>> > Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>> >
>> >     $ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>> >     ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>> >
>> > I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
>> > happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.
>>
>> If we do symlinks, wouldn't it be cleaner to separate the old doc
>> directory from the new doc directory?  That is, Documentation/* keeps
>> the old txt or symlinks while the ReST is put in another directory,
>> say, docs/* as originally suggested.
>
> That actually sounds like a good idea to me. :-)
>
> Question is if it's not too late to do that now that we have all that stuff
> under Documentation/.

I think it's a bit late, at least from more documentation-active
susbsystems like gpu/. The docbook->rst switch was pains, dealing once
more with piles of renames isn't really something I'd like to do. And
one of the main selling points of .rst was that it integrates much
more smoothly into our existing pile of .txt docs, whereas the
DocBook/ subdir was always a bit a ghetto. Forcing another split seems
ill-advised to me.
-Daniel
--

@ 2017-06-27 10:31               ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2017-06-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: Jiri Kosina, ksummit-discuss, ksummit-discuss

Em Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:41:27 +0200
Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@ffwll.ch> escreveu:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@rjwysocki.net> wrote:
> > On Monday, June 26, 2017 07:58:27 AM Takashi Iwai wrote:

> >> If we do symlinks, wouldn't it be cleaner to separate the old doc
> >> directory from the new doc directory?  That is, Documentation/* keeps
> >> the old txt or symlinks while the ReST is put in another directory,
> >> say, docs/* as originally suggested.
> >
> > That actually sounds like a good idea to me. :-)
> >
> > Question is if it's not too late to do that now that we have all that stuff
> > under Documentation/.
>
> I think it's a bit late, at least from more documentation-active
> susbsystems like gpu/. The docbook->rst switch was pains, dealing once
> more with piles of renames isn't really something I'd like to do. And
> one of the main selling points of .rst was that it integrates much
> more smoothly into our existing pile of .txt docs, whereas the
> DocBook/ subdir was always a bit a ghetto. Forcing another split seems
> ill-advised to me.

Yeah, while I would love that the docs dir would be just docs/, I
also think it is a bit late. Well, renaming patches are actually
handled nice by git (a way nicer than docbook->rst conversion),
and shouldn't hurt that much.

Still, all references by filename will require changes due to the
directory change, both inside the Kernel and on website URLs).
So, we may end needing to have another set of symlinks.

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-27 15:33     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2017-06-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: ksummit-discuss

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:38:54AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> Looking at MAINTAINERS, there's relatively few entries for files under
> Documentation/, and most are for individual files (about 450). None
> are for one of the remaining DocBook files still in 4.12 afaics. I
> think we can fix this problem by making sure that a) docs are sorted
> usefully into directories (e.g. we put all the gpu stuff into
> Documentation/gpu/) and b) there's MAINTAINERS entries for all of them
> (which atm doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of stuff).

Yeah, there's directories there for my subsystems but I have to confess
I'd not checked the broader picture recently.

> But I think the lack of clear maintainer responsibilities for docs was
> something Jon already brough up at the previous KS, and we didn't
> really get anywhere with it.

Is that a case of people actively getting in the way somehow or more a
case that we're not able to generate enough interest for people to
actually work on improving the docs (which is partly about us showing
that we care of course)?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-27 18:42           ` Bird, Timothy
From: Bird, Timothy @ 2017-06-27 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet, Jiri Kosina; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, ksummit-discuss

My 2 cents is that files in Documentation are much more often linked to
or referenced by things outside the kernel tree, than source code is.
A quick perusal of elinux.org shows a fair number of references to text files under
Documentation, some with direct links to online git trees.
Documentation/SubmittingPatches is a good example.
This one has a "This file has moved..." line in its content, which I believe
suffices for getting people to the right place.  IMHO that's better than
a symlink, at least for web references.

> My hope (cue inspirational music here) is that, someday, it will be
> possible to type "ls Documentation" and get back a reasonably sized
> listing that is easy to explore.  Let's just say that's not the situation
> at the moment.  Getting there will certainly involve moving files around;
> replacing them with symlinks or pointer files would, to a real extent,
> defeat the purpose.

I like the suggestion by Takashi Iwai to separate the new docs from the old,
putting symlinks and leaving legacy (not-yet-converted) docs in Documentation,
and new stuff in 'docs/*'.  I think that the new docs have not been 'pinned' yet
by external references, and could still be moved around (in the short term),
without much pain. Then "ls docs" could produce the nice listing, while
"ls Documentation" would show ugly symlinks, placeholders, and legacy junk.
 -- Tim

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues
@ 2017-06-28 19:48           ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2017-06-28 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Jiri Kosina, ksummit-discuss

Hi Jon,

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200 (CEST)
> Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> wrote:
>> Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>>
>>       $ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>>       ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>>
>> I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
>> happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.
>
> Worries about moving well-known files are why I delayed some of this stuff
> a bit so I could bring it up at conferences and the kernel summit.  It
> only proceeded after I didn't get any real pushback in those settings.
>
> In general, we move files around in the kernel tree all the time.  We
> don't normally leave symlinks behind; indeed, we never do.  Instead, we
> figure out where the file moved to and get on with life.  Are
> documentation files somehow different, needing different rules in this
> regard?  I wouldn't mind some clarity on that point.

Documentation files are special in that they (some of them) are much more
likely to be linked from an external web page, and may be read by mere
mortals.

My gut feeling says this is mostly limited to SubmittingPatches and
CodingStyle, which are (coincidently?) the only two files in the top level
using CamelCase.

Source files are mostly used by developers, who don't rely on external links,
and who are used to work with the source file hierarchy on a regular basis.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds