* Re: Regression from 3c196f056666 ("drm/amdgpu: always reset the asic in suspend (v2)") on suspend?
@ 2022-02-24 12:22 ` Éric Valette
From: Éric Valette @ 2022-02-24 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Dominique Dumont, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Sasha Levin,
	amd-gfx list, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML,
	Maling list - DRI developers, Luben Tuikov, 1005005,
	Alex Deucher, Evan Quan, Christian König

On 2/21/22 15:16, Alex Deucher wrote:

>> For me it is real S3.
>>
>> The proposed patch is intended for INTEl + intel gpu + amdgpu but I have
>> dual amd GPU.
> It doesn't really matter what the platform is, it could still
> potentially help on your system, it depends on the bios implementation
> for your platform and how it handles suspend. You can try the patch,
> but I don't think you are hitting the same issue.  I bisect would be
> helpful in your case.

Trying to add the pach on top of 5.15.24, I got a already applied message and indeed the patch is already there. So this particular patch it does not fix my problem.

Saw new modif in 5.15.25. Will try and check if I can find time to bissect.

-- eric

From: Éric Valette @ 2022-02-24 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,
	Luben Tuikov, Maling list - DRI developers, Alex Deucher,
	1005005, Evan Quan, Christian König, Dominique Dumont,
	Salvatore Bonaccorso

>> For me it is real S3.
>>
>> The proposed patch is intended for INTEl + intel gpu + amdgpu but I have
>> dual amd GPU.
> It doesn't really matter what the platform is, it could still
> potentially help on your system, it depends on the bios implementation
> for your platform and how it handles suspend. You can try the patch,
> but I don't think you are hitting the same issue.  I bisect would be
> helpful in your case.

Trying to add the pach on top of 5.15.24, I got a already applied message and indeed the patch is already there. So this particular patch it does not fix my problem.

Saw new modif in 5.15.25. Will try and check if I can find time to bissect.

-- eric

* Re: Regression from 3c196f056666 ("drm/amdgpu: always reset the asic in suspend (v2)") on suspend?
  (?)
@ 2022-03-21 19:00               ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dod, Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,
	Luben Tuikov, Maling list - DRI developers, Alex Deucher,
	1005005, Evan Quan, Christian König, Alex Deucher

On 21.03.22 19:49, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> On Monday, 21 March 2022 09:57:59 CET Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Dominique/Salvatore/Eric, what's the status of this regression?
>> According to the debian bug tracker the problem is solved with 5.16 and
>> 5.17, but was 5.15 ever fixed?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> On kernel side, the commit fixing this issue is
> e55a3aea418269266d84f426b3bd70794d3389c8 .
>
> According to the logs of [1] , this commit landed in v5.17-rc3
>
> HTH
>
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

And from there it among others got backported to 5.15.22:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.15.y&id=8a15ac1786c92dce6ecbeb4e4c237f5f80c2c703

https://lwn.net/Articles/884107/

Another indicator that Eric's problem is something else.

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I'm getting a lot of
reports on my table. I can only look briefly into most of them and lack
knowledge about most of the areas they concern. I thus unfortunately
will sometimes get things wrong or miss something important. I hope
that's not the case here; if you think it is, don't hesitate to tell me
in a public reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record
straight.

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dod, Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dod, Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,
	Alex Deucher, Luben Tuikov, Maling list - DRI developers,

@ 2022-03-21 18:49             ` Dominique Dumont
From: Dominique Dumont @ 2022-03-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Thorsten Leemhuis
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,
	Luben Tuikov, Maling list - DRI developers, Alex Deucher,
	1005005, Evan Quan, Christian König, Alex Deucher

Hi

From: Dominique Dumont @ 2022-03-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Thorsten Leemhuis
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

From: Dominique Dumont @ 2022-03-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Thorsten Leemhuis
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

@ 2022-03-21 14:30               ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Éric Valette
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

On 21.03.22 13:07, Éric Valette wrote:
> My problem has never been fixed.
>
> The proposed patch has been applied to 5.15. I do not remerber which version 28 maybe.
>
> I still have à RIP in pm_suspend. Did not test the Last two 15 versions.
>
> I can leave with 5.10 est using own compiled kernels.
>
> Thanks for asking.

This thread/the debian bug report
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1005005 ) is getting
long which makes things hard to grasp. But to me it looks a lot like the
problem you are facing is different from the problem that others ran
into and bisected -- but I might be totally wrong there. Have you ever
tried reverting 3c196f056666 to seem if it helps (sorry if that's
mentioned in the bug report somewhere, as I said, it became long)? I
guess a bisection from your side really would help a lot; but before you
go down that route you might want to give 5.17 and the latest 5.15.y
kernel a try.

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Éric Valette
  Cc: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Dominique Dumont, Sasha Levin,
	David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list, Luben Tuikov,

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Éric Valette
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

@ 2022-03-21 12:07             ` Éric Valette
From: Éric Valette @ 2022-03-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Leemhuis
  Cc: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Dominique Dumont, Sasha Levin,

21 mars 2022 09:58:01 Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>:

> Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker. Top-posting for once,
> to make this easily accessible to everyone.
>
> Dominique/Salvatore/Eric, what's the status of this regression?
> According to the debian bug tracker the problem is solved with 5.16 and
> 5.17, but was 5.15 ever fixed?
>
> Ciao, Thorsten
>
> On 21.02.22 15:16, Alex Deucher wrote:

>>> As I have a very similar problem and also commented on the original
>>> debian bug report
>>> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1005005), I will add
>>> some information here on another amd only laptop (renoir AMD Ryzen 7
>>> 4800H with Radeon Graphics + Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M).
>>>
>>> For me the suspend works once, but after the first resume (I do know
>>> know if it is in the suspend path or the resume path I see a RIP in the
>>> dmesg (see aditional info in debian bug))  and later suspend do not
>>> work: It only go to the kde login screen.
>>>
>>> I was unable due to network connectivity to do a full bisect but tested
>>> with the patch I had on my laptop:
>>>
>>> 5.10.101 works, 5.10 from debian works
>>> 5.11 works
>>> 5.12 works
>>> 5.13 suspend works but when resuming the PC is dead I have to reboot

From: Éric Valette @ 2022-03-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Leemhuis
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

From: Éric Valette @ 2022-03-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Leemhuis
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

@ 2022-03-21  8:57           ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Dominique Dumont
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Dominique Dumont
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-03-21  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Dominique Dumont
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

@ 2022-02-21 14:16         ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-02-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette
  Cc: Dominique Dumont, Salvatore Bonaccorso, Sasha Levin,

From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-02-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Valette
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, amd-gfx list,

@ 2022-02-20 18:03       ` Eric Valette
From: Eric Valette @ 2022-02-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dod, Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Sasha Levin, David Airlie,
	Maling list - DRI developers, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, 1005005,
	Luben Tuikov, amd-gfx list, Evan Quan, Christian König

On 20/02/2022 16:48, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> On Monday, 14 February 2022 22:52:27 CET Alex Deucher wrote:
>> Does the system actually suspend?
>
> Not really. The screens looks like it's going to suspend, but it does come
> back after 10s or so. The light mounted in the middle of the power button does
> not switch off.

As I have a very similar problem and also commented on the original
debian bug report
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1005005), I will add
some information here on another amd only laptop (renoir AMD Ryzen 7
4800H with Radeon Graphics + Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M).

For me the suspend works once, but after the first resume (I do know
know if it is in the suspend path or the resume path I see a RIP in the
dmesg (see aditional info in debian bug))  and later suspend do not
work: It only go to the kde login screen.

I was unable due to network connectivity to do a full bisect but tested
with the patch I had on my laptop:

5.10.101 works, 5.10 from debian works
5.11 works
5.12 works
5.13 suspend works but when resuming the PC is dead I have to reboot
5.14 seems to work but looking at dmesg it is full of RIP messages at
various places.
5.15.24 is a described 5.15 from debian is behaving identically
5.16 from debian is behaving identically.

>> Is this system S0i3 or regular S3?

For me it is real S3.

The proposed patch is intended for INTEl + intel gpu + amdgpu but I have
dual amd GPU.

--eric

From: Eric Valette @ 2022-02-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dod, Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Sasha Levin, amd-gfx list, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML,

@ 2022-02-20 15:48     ` Dominique Dumont
From: Dominique Dumont @ 2022-02-20 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Sasha Levin, David Airlie,
	Maling list - DRI developers, Pan, Xinhui, LKML, 1005005,
	Luben Tuikov, amd-gfx list, Evan Quan, Christian König

On Monday, 14 February 2022 22:52:27 CET Alex Deucher wrote:
> Does the system actually suspend?

Not really. The screens looks like it's going to suspend, but it does come
back after 10s or so. The light mounted in the middle of the power button does
not switch off.

> Is this system S0i3 or regular S3?

I'm not sure how to check that. After a bit of reading on the Internet [1], I
hope that the following information answers that question. Please get back to
me if that's not the case.

Looks like my system supports both Soi3 and S3

$ cat /sys/power/state
freeze mem disk

I get the same result running these 2 commands as root:
# echo freeze > /sys/power/state
# echo mem > /sys/power/state

>  Does this patch help by any chance?
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?i
> d=e55a3aea418269266d84f426b3bd70794d3389c8

yes, with this patch:
- the suspend issue is solved
- kernel logs no longer show messages like "failed to send message" or
"*ERROR* suspend of IP block <powerplay> failed" while suspending

All the best

[1] https://01.org/blogs/rzhang/2015/best-practice-debug-linux-suspend/
hibernate-issues

From: Dominique Dumont @ 2022-02-20 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Sasha Levin, amd-gfx list, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML,

@ 2022-02-15  3:07   ` Quan, Evan
From: Quan, Evan @ 2022-02-15  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Deucher, Alexander
  Cc: Dominique Dumont, 1005005, Tuikov, Luben, Sasha Levin, Koenig,
	Christian, Pan, Xinhui, David Airlie, Daniel Vetter, amd-gfx,
	dri-devel, linux-kernel

[AMD Official Use Only]

I checked the back trace posted there(below). It seems the error occurred during amdgpu_device_suspend().
That means Alex's patch should not be related(as it affected only those logic after amdgpu_device_suspend()).
So we might got a wrong regression point here.
[  257.842851]  ? vi_common_set_clockgating_state+0x229/0x2f0 [amdgpu]
[  257.843356]  amdgpu_device_ip_suspend_phase1+0x5e/0xc0 [amdgpu]
[  257.843771]  amdgpu_device_suspend+0x62/0xc0 [amdgpu]
[  257.844184]  amdgpu_pmops_suspend+0x36/0x70 [amdgpu]
[  257.844631]  pci_pm_suspend+0x71/0x160
[  257.844643]  ? pci_pm_freeze+0xb0/0xb0

BR
Evan

From: Quan, Evan @ 2022-02-15  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Deucher, Alexander
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, dri-devel, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel,
	1005005, Tuikov, Luben, amd-gfx, Koenig, Christian,
	Dominique Dumont

[AMD Official Use Only]

From: Quan, Evan @ 2022-02-15  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Deucher, Alexander
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, dri-devel, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel,
	1005005, Tuikov, Luben, amd-gfx, Daniel Vetter, Koenig,

@ 2022-02-14 21:52   ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-02-14 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Sasha Levin, amd-gfx list, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, LKML,
	Maling list - DRI developers, Luben Tuikov, 1005005,
	Alex Deucher, Evan Quan, Christian König, Dominique Dumont

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 1:23 PM Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex, hi all
>
> In Debian we got a regression report from Dominique Dumont, CC'ed in
> https://bugs.debian.org/1005005 that afer an update to 5.15.15 based
> kernel, his machine noe longer suspends correctly, after screen going
> black as usual it comes back. The Debian bug above contians a trace.
>
> Dominique confirmed that this issue persisted after updating to 5.16.7
> furthermore he bisected the issue and found
>
>         3c196f05666610912645c7c5d9107706003f67c3 is the first bad commit
>         commit 3c196f05666610912645c7c5d9107706003f67c3
>         Author: Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@amd.com>
>         Date:   Fri Nov 12 11:25:30 2021 -0500
>
>             drm/amdgpu: always reset the asic in suspend (v2)
>
>             [ Upstream commit daf8de0874ab5b74b38a38726fdd3d07ef98a7ee ]
>
>             If the platform suspend happens to fail and the power rail
>             is not turned off, the GPU will be in an unknown state on
>             resume, so reset the asic so that it will be in a known
>             good state on resume even if the platform suspend failed.
>
>             v2: handle s0ix
>
>             Acked-by: Luben Tuikov <luben.tuikov@amd.com>
>             Acked-by: Evan Quan <evan.quan@amd.com>
>             Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@amd.com>
>             Signed-off-by: Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org>
>
>          drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_drv.c | 5 ++++-
>          1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> to be the first bad commit, see https://bugs.debian.org/1005005#34 .
>
> Does this ring any bell? Any idea on the problem?

Does the system actually suspend?  Putting the GPU into reset on
suspend shouldn't cause any problems since the power rail will
presumably be cut by the platform.  Is this system S0i3 or regular S3?

From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-02-14 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Sasha Levin, David Airlie,

@ 2022-02-14 12:17   ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-02-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Alex Deucher
  Cc: Sasha Levin, regressions, David Airlie, dri-devel, Pan, Xinhui,
	linux-kernel, 1005005, Luben Tuikov, amd-gfx, Evan Quan,
	Christian König, Dominique Dumont

[TLDR: I'm adding the regression report below to regzbot, the Linux
kernel regression tracking bot; all text you find below is compiled from
a few templates paragraphs you might have encountered already already
from similar mails.]

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker speaking.

CCing the regression mailing list, as it should be in the loop for all
regressions, as explained here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html

To be sure this issue doesn't fall through the cracks unnoticed, I'm
adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced 3c196f056666
#regzbot title amdgfx: suspend stopped working
#regzbot ignore-activity
#regzbot link: https://bugs.debian.org/1005005

Reminder for developers: when fixing the issue, please add a 'Link:'
tags pointing to the report (the mail quoted above) using
lore.kernel.org/r/, as explained in
'Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst' and
'Documentation/process/5.Posting.rst'. This allows the bot to connect
the report with any patches posted or committed to fix the issue; this
again allows the bot to show the current status of regressions and
automatically resolve the issue when the fix hits the right tree.

I'm sending this to everyone that got the initial report, to make them
aware of the tracking. I also hope that messages like this motivate
people to directly get at least the regression mailing list and ideally
even regzbot involved when dealing with regressions, as messages like
this wouldn't be needed then.

Don't worry, I'll send further messages wrt to this regression just to
the lists (with a tag in the subject so people can filter them away), if
they are relevant just for regzbot. With a bit of luck no such messages
will be needed anyway.

--
Additional information about regzbot:

If you want to know more about regzbot, check out its web-interface, the
getting start guide, and the references documentation:

https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/
https://gitlab.com/knurd42/regzbot/-/blob/main/docs/getting_started.md
https://gitlab.com/knurd42/regzbot/-/blob/main/docs/reference.md

The last two documents will explain how you can interact with regzbot
yourself if your want to.

Hint for reporters: when reporting a regression it's in your interest to
CC the regression list and tell regzbot about the issue, as that ensures
the regression makes it onto the radar of the Linux kernel's regression
tracker -- that's in your interest, as it ensures your report won't fall
through the cracks unnoticed.

Hint for developers: you normally don't need to care about regzbot once
it's involved. Fix the issue as you normally would, just remember to
include 'Link:' tag in the patch descriptions pointing to all reports
about the issue. This has been expected from developers even before
regzbot showed up for reasons explained in

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-02-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Alex Deucher
  Cc: Dominique Dumont, 1005005, Luben Tuikov, Evan Quan, Sasha Levin,
	Christian König, Pan, Xinhui, David Airlie, Daniel Vetter,
	amd-gfx, dri-devel, linux-kernel, regressions

From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-02-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso, Alex Deucher
  Cc: Sasha Levin, regressions, David Airlie, dri-devel, Pan, Xinhui,
	linux-kernel, 1005005, Luben Tuikov, amd-gfx, Daniel Vetter,

--

@ 2022-02-12 18:23 ` Salvatore Bonaccorso

From: Salvatore Bonaccorso @ 2022-02-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, dri-devel, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel,
	1005005, Luben Tuikov, amd-gfx, Evan Quan, Christian König,

From: Salvatore Bonaccorso @ 2022-02-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Sasha Levin, David Airlie, dri-devel, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel,
	1005005, Luben Tuikov, amd-gfx, Daniel Vetter, Evan Quan,