* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-08 20:41 greendisease
From: greendisease @ 2003-06-08 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hey All,

	A quick few comments regarding this situation.

	First, we shouldn't rush into anything before we gather some facts.
Linksys may not be the ones developing the software for the WRT54G. In
fact, many of these router "companies" don't do much besides branding
at all.  I have spoken to a few friends at netgear and d-link and they
confirmed that all hardware and software that is used in their router
products is manufactured and developed in asia-pacific somewhere. They
just license everything from the manufacturer. Proof of this is that if
you cracked open many different models of vendors' routers you would
see that the hardware is almost always the same board just in a
different case with a different name on it.  Someone should look into
this and confirm what Linksys does. It may be nothing more than the
management @ Linksys not knowing what the product runs and what
licensing restrictions apply.
	Second, Linksys is no longer its own entity since it was purchased by
Cisco. We all know that Cisco is very committed to GNU/OSS. If anything
comes to a dead end with Linksys we should be able to find some
engineers at Cisco that can take care of the situation.
	IMHO, it looks like some very crafty developers somewhere in
Asia-Pacific are hacking this hardware and software and doing really
neat things.  We should first try to contact these people and explain
to them our philosophy and try and get them to join the kernel
development activities. After all they are already doing some kernel
hacking and maybe based somewhere in a non-democratic country and are
therefore afraid to open source their work for fear of political
repercussion. Please Consider.
	Lets try to help before we harm, we might make a few friends.

Thanks,
Jack Aboutboul

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2021-01-17 17:51 nipponmail
From: nipponmail @ 2021-01-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Linus etc do not give a FUCK that Grsecurity is BLATANTLY violating the
GPL. So why do you fucking retards complain about this?

@ 2003-07-18 23:48 root
From: root @ 2003-07-18 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[FYI: Please cc: me; I'm not on lkml, thanks.]

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:41:23PM -0400, Andrew Miklas wrote:
> However, I have gone through all the available information on the Linksys
> website, and can find no reference to the GPL, Linux (as it relates to
> this product), or the firmware source code. Also, the firmware binary
> (see below) is freely available from their website. There is no link
> from the download page to the source, or any mention of Linux or the GPL.

[snip]

> few of the newer 802.11b and (nearly?) all 802.11g chips. Incidentally,
> Linux has excellent support for at least one manufacturer's wireless family.
> The following Broadcom chips all appear to be supported under Linux -- if you
> happen to be running Linux on a MIPS processor in a Linksys router:
>
> Broadcom BCM4301 Wireless 802.11b Controller
> Broadcom BCM4307 Wireless 802.11b Controller
> Broadcom BCM4309 Wireless 802.11a Controller
> Broadcom BCM4309 Wireless 802.11b Controller
> Broadcom BCM4309 Wireless 802.11 Multiband Controller
> Broadcom BCM4310 Wireless 802.11b Controller
> Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless 802.11b/g Controller
> Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless 802.11a Controller
> Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless 802.11 Multiband Controller
>
> This list was produced by running strings on:
> lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/net/wl/wl.o

[much discussion]

On Maw, 2003-07-08 at 12:30, Matthew Hall wrote:
> Hi lkml,
> I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
> released their code.
>
> http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

Remember the reason we were poking around inside the Linksys firmware? --
for Broadcom 11g support! Well, I've searched the WRT54G firmware 1.30.1
package kernel-2.4.5.tgz (linked at the above URL) and this is what I found:

<begin terminal output>
$ head -267 linux/arch/mips/Makefile | tail -11

#
# Broadcom BCM93725 variants
#
ifdef CONFIG_BCM93725
LIBS          += arch/mips/brcm-boards/bcm93725/bcm93725.o arch/mips/brcm-boards/generic/brcm.o
SUBDIRS       += arch/mips/brcm-boards/generic arch/mips/brcm-boards/bcm93725
LOADADDR      += 0x80000000
TEXTADDR      += 0x80001000
endif

$ find linux/ /fw_cramfs -ipath "*bcm9*" -o -ipath "*brcm-*" -o -name "diag.*" -o -name "et.*" -o -name "il.*" -o -name "*writemac*" -o -name "*wl.*"
/fw_cramfs/lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/net/diag/diag.o
/fw_cramfs/lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/net/et/et.o
/fw_cramfs/lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/net/mac/writemac.o
/fw_cramfs/lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/net/wl/wl.o
<end>

The Linksys kernel source tree seems to omit code for the Broadcom drivers,
the libraries which the build links against, and the resulting modules! Is
this allowed by the GPL? It seems Linksys has omitted (at least) one crucial
part of their kernel source....

True, Linksys deserves much credit for releasing their GPL-derived
source -- but can someone legally write a module or kernel library for a
GPL kernel and provide its recipient with neither the source nor library?

 -- Michael English

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-10  4:11 Russ Dill
From: Russ Dill @ 2003-06-10  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: gilbertd

> I suggest taking this slowly; just like no one here would like a bunch
> of lawyers breathing down their necks for something I'm sure their
> guys won't either - and that should probably be a last resort after
> people have tried a few friendlier contacts.

its clear from Andrew Miklas original email that this has been tried.
(although a second chance wouldn't hurt). However, if this was a company
distributing unlicensed sofware from a company that makes their living
selling software (Microsoft, Id, Symantec, Oracle, etc) I can assure you
that they would not be let off with a warning.

> In the case of busybox I guess they are just using a standard
> unmodified one; so in principal all they really missing is an
> acknowledgment pointing to its home page.

You guess? how can you know? What unreleased bug fixes could be lurking
inside? You don't know unless you have the source. This point is mute,
because a) it violates busybox's copyright, and b) another GPL program
included (udhcp) is most definately modified.

> In the case of the kernel do we know they've actually made any
> modifications at all? Or is it just a standard distribution from
> someone else?  Perhaps they've contributed changes back?

Well, they have nothing to lose by sending us their kernel source tree,
do they?

--
Russ Dill <Russ.Dill@asu.edu>

* RE: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-09 13:13 Downing, Thomas
From: Downing, Thomas @ 2003-06-09 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Russ Dill @ 2003-06-09  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: andersen

<udhcp maintainer hat on>

> <BusyBox maintainer hat on>

> I went through a similar exercise several weeks ago when I saw
> the thread on the l-k mailing list.  It took just a fix minutes
> to extract the linux kernel and cramfs filesystem from their
> firmware.  Linksys is indeed shipping BusyBox and the Linux
> kernel without releasing source in violation of the GPL.  I had
> my lawyer (it helps to have a lawyer for a Dad) send them a
> rather polite but firm letter about 3 weeks ago.  No response.
> So he has now sent them a second letter...  Assuming we again get
> no response, Linksys is going to find themselves in court in the
> very near future.

<udhcp maintainer hat on>

While a company including udhcp is a really exciting thing for me, its
mostly exciting because I get the additional resources of anyone at
linksys working on the code, and they get a low cost of ownership dhcp
server. Of course, if they don't send me the code, it doesn't help me at
all, and I get pissed off.

By downloading the firmware, and looking at the output of strings
usr/sbin/udhcpd makes it pretty clear that they have made modifications.
Anyway, sign me on for whatever legal actions you are making, caus I
want my code back.

--
Russ Dill

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-09  0:05 Erik Andersen
From: Erik Andersen @ 2003-06-09  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westwood; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sunday, Jun 08 2003, 15:57:04 EST, Peter Westwood wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In a similar vein to the Linksys router.  I have a Buffalo (Melco) WBR-G54.
>
> Looking through the latest firmware update available :
> http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/firmware.htm
>
> It does appear to be similar to the Linksys firmware and contain linux and
> possibly busybox
>
> No mention here or anywhere on there site of the GPL or the source code to
> what they are distributing!

Wow, thanks for the pointer!  I just visited the Buffalo site
    http://www.buffalo-technology.com/
and I could not find any source code.  And not only are they
distributing the linux kernel and BusyBox, their rom is
_remarkably_ similar to the Linksys one in many respects.
Perhaps they share an upstream vendor that did not make them
aware of their responsibilities?

Here is a script I just whipped up to open up their firmware...

    #!/bin/sh

    wget http://www.buffalo-technology.com/download/firmware/wbr-113b.exe

    # Next I used wine (20030408) to extract the content
    wine wbr-113b.exe

    # Move into the directory into which the firmware was extracted
    cd Wbr_1.13b

    # I noticed a GZIP signature for a file named "piggy" at offset
    # 62 bytes from the start, suggesting we have a compressed Linux
    # kernel
    dd if=wbrbg-113b bs=62 skip=1 | zcat > kernel

    # Noticed there was a cramfs magic signature at offset 786466
    dd if=wbrbg-113b of=cramfs.image bs=786466 skip=1
    file cramfs.image

    sudo mount -o loop,ro -t cramfs ./cramfs.image /mnt
    ls -la /mnt/bin
    file /mnt/bin/busybox
    strings /mnt/bin/busybox | grep BusyBox
    /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin/i386-uclibc-ldd /mnt/bin/busybox

It seems my Dad will have another letter to mail out in the
morning!

 -Erik

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-08 23:35 Erik Andersen
From: Erik Andersen @ 2003-06-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 21:53:14 -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> I went through a similar exercise several weeks ago when I saw
> the thread on the l-k mailing list.  It took just a fix minutes
> to extract the linux kernel and cramfs filesystem from their
> firmware.  Linksys is indeed shipping BusyBox and the Linux

BTW, this is what I did to open up the Linksys rom...

    #!/bin/sh

    wget ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WRT54G_1.02.1_US_code.bin

    # I noticed a GZIP signature for a file name "piggy" at offset
    # 60 bytes from the start, suggesting we have a compressed Linux
    # kernel
    dd if=WRT54G_1.02.1_US_code.bin bs=60 skip=1 | zcat > kernel

    # Noticed there was a cramfs magic signature (bytes 45 3D CD 28
    followed shortly by "Compressed ROMFS") at offset 786464
    dd if=WRT54G_1.02.1_US_code.bin of=cramfs.image bs=786464 skip=1
    file cramfs.image

    sudo mount -o loop,ro -t cramfs ./cramfs.image /mnt
    ls -la /mnt/bin
    file /mnt/bin/busybox
    strings /mnt/bin/busybox | grep BusyBox
    # Use uClibc's ldd to get useful answers for non-x86 binaries

@ 2003-06-08 23:25 Hakan Lennestal
From: Hakan Lennestal @ 2003-06-08 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

A possible common source for wlan router software ?

Linux drivers, etc for Broadcom wlan chipsets
is to be found within the AirForce program from Broadcom.
The OneDriver infrastucture concept offers drivers
for Linux and VxWorks.

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/AirForceFam.pdf

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-08 20:57 Peter Westwood
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Westwood @ 2003-06-08 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi All,

In a similar vein to the Linksys router.  I have a Buffalo (Melco) WBR-G54.

Looking through the latest firmware update available :
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/firmware.htm

It does appear to be similar to the Linksys firmware and contain linux and
possibly busybox

No mention here or anywhere on there site of the GPL or the source code to
what they are distributing!

Unfortunately an nmap scan only shows the following ports open:

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap )
Interesting ports on  (192.168.0.1):
(The 1597 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
53/tcp     open        domain
80/tcp     open        http
2601/tcp   open        zebra
2602/tcp   open        ripd
Remote operating system guess: Linux Kernel 2.4.0 - 2.5.20
Uptime 1.252 days (since Sat Jun 07 15:51:52 2003)
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 13 seconds

No telnet or ssh for me to try to discover more.

--
Peter

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-08  3:53 Erik Andersen
From: Erik Andersen @ 2003-06-08  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[--------snip-----------]

> Incidentally, there is at least one other GPLed project in the
> firmware:
>   the BusyBox userland component: (http://www.busybox.net/)

<BusyBox maintainer hat on>

I went through a similar exercise several weeks ago when I saw
the thread on the l-k mailing list.  It took just a fix minutes
to extract the linux kernel and cramfs filesystem from their
firmware.  Linksys is indeed shipping BusyBox and the Linux
kernel without releasing source in violation of the GPL.  I had
my lawyer (it helps to have a lawyer for a Dad) send them a
rather polite but firm letter about 3 weeks ago.  No response.
So he has now sent them a second letter...  Assuming we again get
no response, Linksys is going to find themselves in court in the
very near future.

I like Linksys and I have several of their products.  Nobody
forced them to use Linux.  Nobody forced them to use BusyBox.
But when they made the choice to use them, they committed
themselves to abiding by the law.  And the law says then when
companies violate software licenses and don't take care of the
problem when asked politely, they have to pay my Dad lots of
money for the legal time it takes him to sue their pants off...
:-)

 -Erik

* Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-08  3:13 Brad Chapman
From: Brad Chapman @ 2003-06-08  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Mr. Miklas,

I find your discourse on this subject very interesting -- it would
seem you have successfully outlined a double standard that, to me,
does appear to violate the GPL (IANAL).

The question now becomes: Why is Linksys and/or Broadcom doing this?

Brad CHapman

http://calendar.yahoo.com

* Linksys WRT54G and the GPL
@ 2003-06-08  2:41 Andrew Miklas
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrew Miklas @ 2003-06-08  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

Sorry for the very lengthly posting, but I want to be as precise as possible
in describing this problem.

Awhile ago, I mentioned that the Linksys WRT54G wireless access point used
several GPL projects in its firmware, but did not seem to have any of the
source available, or acknowledge the use of the GPLed software.  Four weeks
ago, I spoke with an employee at Linksys who confirmed that the system did
use Linux, and also mentioned that he would work with his management to
ensure that the source was released.  Unfortunately, my e-mails to this
individual over the past three weeks have gone unanswered.  Of course, I also
tried contacting Linksys through their common public e-mail accounts
(pr@linksys.com, mailroom@linksys.com) to no avail.

However, it is hard for me to know if my contact in the company has just gone
on a three week vacation (and not set an auto-responder), or has been asked
to not answer anymore mail on this subject.  Also, I should note that I don't
own this product, so I can't determine if the source is shipped with it.
However, I have gone through all the available information on the Linksys
website, and can find no reference to the GPL, Linux (as it relates to this
product), or the firmware source code.  Also, the firmware binary (see below)
is freely available from their website.  There is no link from the download
page to the source, or any mention of Linux or the GPL.  Finally, it would be
strange if the source was included in the physical package, as my contact at
Linksys was initially unaware Linux was used in this product.

The following steps can be used to determine the exact nature of the possible
GPL violation.

1. Go to the following URL:
    http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=178

2. Download the "firmware upgrade files":
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WRT54G_1.02.1_US_code.bin
    (MD5SUM: b54475a81bc18462d3754f96c9c7cc0f)

3. While it is downloading, confirm that there is nothing on the webpage to
indicate that this binary contains GPLed software.

4. Once the download is complete, copy the contents of the file from offset
0xC0020 onward into a new file.
    dd if=WRT54G_1.02.1_US_code.bin of=test.dump skip=24577c bs=32c

5. Notice that this file is an image of a CramFS filesystem.
    Mount it.

6. Explore the filesystem.  You will notice that the system appears to be
based on Linux 2.4.5.
   Incidentally, there is at least one other GPLed project in the firmware:
the BusyBox userland component: (http://www.busybox.net/)

7. The Linux kernel (I think) is mixed up with a bunch of other stuff in:
    bin/boot.bin

You might want to know why I am interested in getting the code for the kernel
used in this device.

There's been some discussion here about Linux's lack of wireless support for a
few of the newer 802.11b and (nearly?) all 802.11g chips.  Incidentally,
Linux has excellent support for at least one manufacturer's wireless family.
The following Broadcom chips all appear to be supported under Linux -- if you
happen to be running Linux on a MIPS processor in a Linksys router:

Broadcom BCM4301 Wireless 802.11b Controller
Broadcom BCM4307 Wireless 802.11b Controller
Broadcom BCM4309 Wireless 802.11a Controller
Broadcom BCM4309 Wireless 802.11b Controller
Broadcom BCM4309 Wireless 802.11 Multiband Controller
Broadcom BCM4310 Wireless 802.11b Controller
Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless 802.11b/g Controller
Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless 802.11a Controller
Broadcom BCM4306 Wireless 802.11 Multiband Controller

This list was produced by running strings on:
lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/net/wl/wl.o

I am trying to determine exactly how tightly coupled these drivers are to the
kernel.

As an aside, I know that some wireless companies have been hesitant of
releasing open source drivers because they are worried their radios might be
pushed out of spec.  However, if the drivers are already written, would there
be any technical reason why they could not simply be recompiled for Intel
hardware, and released as binary-only modules?

Finally, I know that traditionally, Linux has allowed binary-only modules.
However, I was always under the impression that this required that the final
customer be allowed to remove them at will.  That is to say, you couldn't
choose to implement a portion of the kernel critical to the system's
operation in a module, and then not release that module under the GPL.  In
this particular case, I would argue that the wireless drivers are critical to
this device's operation (after all, it is a wireless access point).  In
addition, the final user in this case really can't just "rmmod" the wireless
driver.

The Broadcom driver, kernel, and really everything else in the firmware, are
(IMHO anyways) being used to form a discrete package -- the WRT54Gs firmware.
Does/should this have any implication on whether the Broadcom wireless module
must be covered by the GPL?

I would be very interested in knowing if I am mistaken in any of my claims or
conclusions, and if not, how I should proceed in getting this issue resolved.

-- Andrew Miklas