Hi, The attached patch contains the fixes for SATA hot plugging, hot plug in/out of drives (SAS/SATA) from Expander while IO is going on and tape issues. Try with attached patch and let me know the results. Note: I have tested with only 64xx chipset. Srinivas. -----Original Message----- From: linux-scsi-owner@vger.kernel.org [mailto:linux-scsi-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of James Bottomley Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:26 AM To: Kristleifur Dašason Cc: Orion Poplawski; linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org Subject: Re: MVSAS status On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 09:50 +0000, Kristleifur Dašason wrote: > On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote: > > > > What's the status of the MVSAS patches posted in November '09? I'm just trying > > to get started with mvsas and running into the mvs_abort_task issue. At least > > one person has reported that stability improved, but it looks like there were > > some other issues with the patches. Any chance on seeing this in the mainline > > kernel soon? Are there updated versions? A git tree to pull from? > > > > As far as I know, the patches from November were rejected because the > patches themselves weren't solid enough - meaning there were some > cross-references between each of the seven patches, things like that. > The functionality was fine, at least a definite improvement. Ideally, > there would have been another set of patches to top things up and > really get everything running smoothly. There were two reasons for the reject. The first was that the series just wasn't bisectable. This is annoying but not completely fatal, and if it were a required bug fix I can just squash all the patches together to apply to make a single commit. I hate doing this but I've done it before with problem vendor patch series. The bigger problem was there were several reports of the rate of kernel panics increasing with this patch series applied. If the patch series is going to decrease stability, it's not worth applying. I can fix the first if someone can do a solid comparison and assure me that the patch series does actually increase not decrease stability. > I haven't come across any patch traffic for the card after that November batch. Yes, Marvell has gone radio silent. > In the interests of getting these amazingly cheap and effective cards > running properly on Linux, it would be extremely good if someone > experienced with Linux patches would get involved in the matter with > Mr. Andy Yan from Marvell, straighten things out, get the ball rolling > and make the driver stick in mainline. When I emailed him, Mr. Yan was > very helpful and sent me the patches and some info. I tried to fix the > patches myself but was in over my head. And had no time. Etc. OK, I'll try 1:1 email with Marvell and Andy and see what comes out. James -- To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-scsi" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html DISCLAIMER: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any mail and attachments please check them for viruses and defect. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------