From: Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Hui Wang <hui.wang@canonical.com>
Cc: Stable <stable@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Martin Fuzzey" <martin.fuzzey@flowbird.group>,
	"Guido Günther" <agx@sigxcpu.org>
Subject: Re: the commit c434e5e48dc4 (rsi: Use resume_noirq for SDIO) introduced driver crash in the 4.15 kernel
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:04:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On 8/18/21 7:33 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 12:06:15PM +0800, Hui Wang wrote:
>> Hi Marex,
>>
>> We backported this patch to ubuntu 4.15.0-generic kernel, and found this
>> patch introduced the rsi driver crashing when running system resume on the
>> Dell 300x IoT platform (100% rate). Below is the log, After seeing this log,
>> the rsi wifi can't work anymore, need to run 'rmmod rsi_sdio;modprobe
>> rsi_sdio" to make it work again.
>>
>> So do you know what is missing apart from this patch or this patch is not
>> suitable for 4.15 kernel at all?
>
> Does 4.19.191 work for this system?  Why not just use that or newer
> instead?

I haven't seen this on linux-stable 5.4.y or 5.10.y, if that information
is of any use.

But I have to admit, I am tempted to mark the whole driver as BROKEN and
submit that for stable backports.

Because that is what it is, it is buggy, broken, and the hardware lacks
any documentation. I spent an insane amount of time talking to RedPine
Signals / SiLabs trying to get help with basic things like association
problems against various APs, no result there. I tried getting hardware
docs from them so I can fix the driver myself, no result either. So far
I tried to pick various fixes from their downstream driver and submit
them, but that is massively time consuming and the changes there are not
separated or documented, it is just one large chunk of code.

As far as I can tell, they also have no interest in fixing the driver or
helping others with fixing it, so maybe we should just mark it as broken
... :-(