From: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
To: Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>,
	"Peer, Ilan" <ilan.peer@intel.com>,
	"netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: "linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Coelho, Luciano" <luciano.coelho@intel.com>
Subject: Re: pull-request: mac80211 2021-01-18.2
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 12:18:41 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 1/25/21 10:47 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, apparently we have two threads.
>
>> Great, thank you for looking into this. Let me know if you have a patch
>> which you want me to test on a RTL8723BS adapter.
>
> Could you test this instead?
>
> https://p.sipsolutions.net/235c352b8ae5db88.txt
>

> I don't have that much sympathy for a staging driver that's clearly
> doing things differently than it was intended (the documentation states
> that the function should be called only before wiphy_register(), not
> during ndo_open). :-)

I completely understand and I already was worried that this might be
a staging-driver issue, which is why I mentioned this was with a
staging driver in the more detailed bug-report email.

> But OTOH, that fix to the driver is simple and looks correct to me since
> it only ever has a static regdomain, and the notifier does the work of
> applying it to the channels as well.

So I've given your fix a quick try and it leads to a NULL pointer deref.

But now that you've given me a lead on how to fix this (network/wifi
drivers are not really me expertise) I can take a shot at seeing if I
can fix the NULL pointer deref. I Hope to get back to you on that later
today.

Regards,

Hans