From: Jonathan Haws <Jonathan.Haws@sdl.usu.edu>
To: "b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org"
	<b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>,
	Matthias Schiffer <mschiffer@universe-factory.net>
Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Alfred 2016.1 bind errors
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 16:47:28 +0000	[thread overview]

>> alfred explicitly binds to the link-local IPv6 address of the interface
>> since version 2016.0. I suspect one of the following caveats might be your
>> problem:
>>
>> * The link-local IPv6 address must match the MAC address of the interface
>> (here bat0) (derived by flipping the 2 bit of the first byte, and adding
>> fe80 and fffe); this ususally breaks when the MAC address is changed after
>> the interface is up
>> * The link-local address must not be tentative when alfred is started
>> (duplicate address detection must have finished; this usually means that
>> the interface must be up for 3 seconds before alfred is started)

One more question - is there a configuration option to disable this?  My
application of batman-adv and alfred is not for a wide area network
providing internet, but rather to setup a mesh between master nodes of
my private network for data sharing and synchronization.  My private
network at the moment has no plans to utilize IPv6 and we would like to
keep it disabled if possible.

At the moment I am guessing it would be a code hack to switch this logic
to use IPv4 instead?  Or am I over-analyzing this and really it isn't a
big deal, I just need to get the right configuration setup?