On 2018-06-06 16:55, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote: > On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:42:33AM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote: >>> If we want a grand vision where a single file stores the whole VM, why >>> not invest the work and make it right from the start? >> >> We don't want a grand vision where a single file stores the whole >> VM. This is exactly what I would like to avoid, by not inventing >> a whole different appliance file format. > > Besides, trying to get a grand vision from the start is a sure > way to never have the design leave the drawing board. Yes, but with our own non-qcow2 format we could easily start with something simple and start over later. > What we are asking for at this point is a way to stick a named blob in > an image that people can use with qemu without jumping through hoops. > > It seems like a generic enough addition that it seems highly likely > to be useful down the road and harmless enough that maintaining > it won't become a burden. Yes. Its genericity is a big part of what's bothering me. > Can we agree on that as a first step, so we can build that foundation > and move on to actually building ways to use it? No, because I don't want to agree on putting anything inside qcow2 before I know its scope. Max