* Multiple ubifs partition
@ 2019-03-04 11:17 Gabriele Zampieri
From: Gabriele Zampieri @ 2019-03-04 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a distribution that has multiple partitions. The
desiderata is something like:

- rootfs.ubifs mounted on /
- data.ubifs mounted on /data
- opt.ubifs mounted on /opt

I was wondering if there is a standard way to achieve the goal. I see that
there is a tool called wic, but it does not seems to support ubifs. I could
post process the tarball image and doing stuff with my scripts, but I'd
prefer doing this in a single bitbake run. Can you suggest something?

Thanks,
Gabriele

* Re: Multiple ubifs partition
@ 2019-03-07 14:11 ` Stelling2 Carsten
From: Stelling2 Carsten @ 2019-03-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Zampieri, yocto

Hi Gabriele,

Have you seen https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage?

Regards,

Carsten

@ 2019-03-07 14:31 ` Marc Ferland
From: Marc Ferland @ 2019-03-07 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Zampieri; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Look for the multiubi fstype:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/image_types.bbclass#n151

@ 2019-03-07 14:55   ` Marc Ferland
From: Marc Ferland @ 2019-03-07 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Zampieri; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:17 AM Gabriele Zampieri
> <gabbla.malist@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to build a distribution that has multiple partitions. The desiderata is something like:
> >
> > - rootfs.ubifs mounted on /
> > - data.ubifs mounted on /data
> > - opt.ubifs mounted on /opt
> >
> > I was wondering if there is a standard way to achieve the goal. I see that there is a tool called wic, but it does not seems to support ubifs. I could post process the tarball image and doing stuff with my scripts, but I'd prefer doing this in a single bitbake run. Can you suggest something?

Hummm just reread your mail, and I think you will probably have to
roll up your own image type. The meta-raspberrypi layer contains a
custom image bbclass which you could use as an example.

Good luck!
Marc

* Re: Multiple ubifs partition
@ 2019-03-07 15:23   ` Ulrich Ölmann
From: Ulrich Ölmann @ 2019-03-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi there,

On Thu, Mar 07 2019 at 15:11 +0100, Stelling2 Carsten <Carsten.Stelling2@goerlitz.com> wrote:
> Have you seen https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage?

you can find it included within https://github.com/pengutronix/meta-ptx
with an accompanying genimage.bbclass.

Best regards
Ulrich

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Ulrich Ölmann               |

* Re: Multiple ubifs partition
@ 2019-03-13 15:14     ` Gabriele Zampieri
From: Gabriele Zampieri @ 2019-03-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

thank you very much for the suggestion, I will check genimage and test it.

Gabriele

@ 2019-04-24 12:06       ` Gabriele Zampieri
From: Gabriele Zampieri @ 2019-04-24 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

Hi again,

I'm now testing genimage via meta-ptx in my Yocto workflow, but I found a
problem: I cannot set a SRC_URI in my custom image recipe (that inherit
from core-image which in turn inherit from image) because do_fetch and
do_unpack tasks have noexec set to 1. If I specify the SRC_URI with my
genimage.config, bitbake exits, complaining about LIC_FILE_CHECKSUM (that
is correctly specified). If I hack image.bbclass and comment out

#do_fetch[noexec] = "1"

#do_unpack[noexec] = "1"

The process start correctly. Is there a way to avoid touching image.bbclass
and install my configuration from the image recipe?

Thanks,
Gabriele

@ 2019-04-24 13:15         ` Ulrich Ölmann
From: Ulrich Ölmann @ 2019-04-24 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Gabriele,

On Wed, Apr 24 2019 at 14:06 +0200, Gabriele Zampieri <gabbla.malist@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm now testing genimage via meta-ptx in my Yocto workflow, but I found a
> problem: I cannot set a SRC_URI in my custom image recipe (that inherit
> from core-image which in turn inherit from image) because do_fetch and
> do_unpack tasks have noexec set to 1. If I specify the SRC_URI with my
> genimage.config, bitbake exits, complaining about LIC_FILE_CHECKSUM (that
> is correctly specified). If I hack image.bbclass and comment out
>
> #do_fetch[noexec] = "1"
>

> #do_unpack[noexec] = "1"
>
> The process start correctly. Is there a way to avoid touching image.bbclass
> and install my configuration from the image recipe?
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriele

you need one or more recipe(s) that construct(s) your filesystem(s) and
a separate one that makes a flashable image out of that (see the
introductory documentation in 'genimage.bbclass'). In the former you
inherit 'core-image' and only in the latter which inherits 'genimage'
you have to set the SRC_URI to point to your 'genimage.config'.

Best regards
Ulrich

@ 2019-05-02 11:25           ` Gabriele Zampieri
From: Gabriele Zampieri @ 2019-05-02 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Ölmann; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Ulrich,

ok, I guess I miss-understand how that class works. I thought that I had to
add the customization on my own image recipe.
So the correct way is to write a 'customization recipe' and install via
IMAGE_INSTALL? Can you provide an example?

Thanks,
Gabriele

Il giorno mer 24 apr 2019 alle ore 15:15 Ulrich Ölmann <

@ 2019-05-03  5:59             ` Ulrich Ölmann
From: Ulrich Ölmann @ 2019-05-03  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Zampieri; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Gabriele,

On Thu, May 02 2019 at 13:25 +0200, Gabriele Zampieri <gabbla.malist@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, I guess I miss-understand how that class works. I thought that I
> had to add the customization on my own image recipe.
> So the correct way is to write a 'customization recipe' and install
> via IMAGE_INSTALL? Can you provide an example?

use your custom image recipe as before to just produce your root-
filesystem which results in a (compressed) tar-file in ${DEPLOY_DIR_
IMAGE}. It will be referenced from the genimage recipe without any file
extension via GENIMAGE_ROOTFS_IMAGE. Now your UBI-recipe (e.g. 'your-
customized-ubi.bb') could look like

    inherit genimage
    LICENSE = "MIT"
    LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://${COREBASE}/meta/files/common-licenses/MIT;md5=0835ade698e0bcf8506ecda2f7b4f302"

    SRC_URI += "file://genimage.config"

    # to not confuse the flashable UBI-image ('ubi')
    # with the UBI-filesystems ('ubifs') it contains
    GENIMAGE_IMAGE_SUFFIX = "ubi"

    # the name of the root-filesystem genimage should use
    GENIMAGE_ROOTFS_IMAGE = "your-customized-rootfs"

with the accompanying 'genimage.config' for example as follows

    #
    # Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xda
    # -> Micron MT29F2G08ABAEAWP
    # 256 MiB, SLC
    #
    flash nand {
    	pebsize = 131072
    	lebsize = 126976
    	numpebs = 2044
    	minimum-io-unit-size = 2048
    	sub-page-size = 2048
    }

    image @IMAGE@ {
    	flashtype = "nand"
    	ubi {
    	}

    	partition rootfs {
    		image = rootfs.ubifs
    		size = 64MiB
    	}

    	partition opt {
    		image = opt.ubifs
    		size = 32MiB
    	}

    	partition data {
    		image = data.ubifs
    		autoresize = true
    	}
    }

    image rootfs.ubifs {
    	flashtype = "nand"
    	ubifs {
    		extraargs = "-x lzo"
    		max-size = 64MiB
    	}
    	mountpoint = "/"
    }

    image opt.ubifs {
    	flashtype = "nand"
    	ubifs {
    		extraargs = "-x lzo"
    		max-size = 32MiB
    	}
    	mountpoint = "/opt"
    }

    image data.ubifs {
    	flashtype = "nand"
    	ubifs {
    		extraargs = "-x lzo"
    		max-size = 192MiB
    	}
    	mountpoint = "/data"
    }

In a UBI-image almost all UBI-volumes need to have a fixed size and only
one is allowed to use the autoresize mechanism which blows it up to use
the remaining space when it is UBI-attached for the first time. Distinct
from that is the UBI-filesystem's max-size parameter which prescribes
the maximum size of an UBI-volume that shall be addressable by this
filesystem. This means that if you would re-use 'data.ubifs' in a volume
that has been autoresized to e.g. 1024MiB the filesystem would not be
able to make use of it.

I neither tested the recipe nor the genimage.config, so please give some
feedback.

Best regards
Ulrich

@ 2019-05-06 11:32               ` Gabriele Zampieri
From: Gabriele Zampieri @ 2019-05-06 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Ölmann; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Ulrich,

thank you very much for your explanation. The provided genimage.config
looks similar to mine, so I guess it is ok. I will try when I come back to
the office. The point I missed was that I need to call: bitbake
your-customized-ubi and not bitbake my-custom-image, right?

Thank you again,
Gabriele

Il giorno ven 3 mag 2019 alle ore 07:59 Ulrich Ölmann <

@ 2019-05-06 12:15                 ` Ulrich Ölmann
From: Ulrich Ölmann @ 2019-05-06 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Zampieri; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Gabriele,

On Mon, May 06 2019 at 13:32 +0200, Gabriele Zampieri <gabbla.malist@gmail.com> wrote:
> thank you very much for your explanation. The provided genimage.config
> looks similar to mine, so I guess it is ok. I will try when I come back to
> the office. The point I missed was that I need to call: bitbake
> your-customized-ubi and not bitbake my-custom-image, right?

correct - "my-custom-image" will indirectly become a dependency via the
variable GENIMAGE_ROOTFS_IMAGE, see [1].

Best regards
Ulrich

[1] https://github.com/pengutronix/meta-ptx/blob/master/classes/genimage.bbclass#L88

@ 2019-05-06 12:51                   ` Gabriele Zampieri