* Large rootfs corrupted by build system
@ 2014-02-02  8:19 George Hilliard
From: George Hilliard @ 2014-02-02  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I have run into a very odd issue when building a custom Yocto "dora" image for the i.MX6 SABRE Auto.  When building a small image (final image is around 80MB), the image is generated just fine.  However, when I build a much larger image (around 2GB), the root filesystem is generated corrupt!  This is not a fluke; every time I regenerate the image, it is corrupt (according to fsck).

I worked around it by actually removing packages (git and kernel-dev) from the recipe, causing the image to fall to about 1.91GB.  After this, the rootfs was generated correctly.  This doesn't look like anything but a bug in the build system to me; maybe the 2GB threshold is significant (?).  I'm currently building fsl-image-test to see if the problem occurs with that image too.

Am I doing everything right?  Attached are my two build scripts.  The -dev image is the bigger one.

Thanks!
George Hilliard

[-- Attachment #2: custom-image-production-dev.bb --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 484 bytes --]

require custom-image-production.bb

# Add extra image features; this is like Debian's package groups
IMAGE_FEATURES += " \
    dev-pkgs \
    dbg-pkgs \
    tools-sdk \
    tools-debug \
    tools-testapps \
    ssh-server-dropbear \
    package-management \
    debug-tweaks \
"

# Add individual recipes
IMAGE_INSTALL += " \
    python-scons \
    kernel-dev \
    jsoncpp \
    libsocket \
    git \
"

export IMAGE_BASENAME = "custom-image-production-dev"

[-- Attachment #3: custom-image-production.bb --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 340 bytes --]

include recipes-core/images/core-image-base.bb

# Add extra image features; this is like Debian's package groups
IMAGE_FEATURES += " \
"

# Add individual recipes
IMAGE_INSTALL += " \
    canutils \
    iproute2 \
    hostap-daemon \
    dnsmasq \
"

LICENSE = "CLOSED"

export IMAGE_BASENAME = "custom-image-production"

* Re: Large rootfs corrupted by build system
@ 2014-02-06  2:02 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-02-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hilliard; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hello George,

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM, George Hilliard <gh403@msstate.edu> wrote:
> I have run into a very odd issue when building a custom Yocto "dora" image for the i.MX6 SABRE Auto.  When building a small image (final image is around 80MB), the image is generated just fine.  However, when I build a much larger image (around 2GB), the root filesystem is generated corrupt!  This is not a fluke; every time I regenerate the image, it is corrupt (according to fsck).

The 'fsck' information is interesting. How did you figure out this?
Does it happens during first boot?

Another question, did you try to use the generated ext3 file and make
the sdcard byhand to be sure it is generated fine? We need to isolate
the root cause being the 'sdcard' generation class or a ext3 utility
bug.