From: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
To: Andrea Ippolito <andrea.ippo@gmail.com>,
	dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com, Alex Hung <alex.hung@canonical.com>
Cc: linux-i2c@vger.kernel.org, linux-input@vger.kernel.org,
	platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Touchpad stickiness on Dell Inspiron/XPS
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:00:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Andrea,

On 9/23/21 10:47 AM, Andrea Ippolito wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anyone had a chance to have a look at this report, and can help
> making some progress on the investigation?
>
> Please let me know if there are more suitable channels for this, since
> most of the things I see in these mailing lists are patches and code
> reviews, not really reports and discussions around ongoing issues.

Right, bugs are usually discussed in bugzila, you could consider
filing a bug here:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Drivers

But I must be honest here, I don't see much progress being made
on this until someone with a significant amount of kernel / hw-enablement
experience gets it hands on one of these models. Either because some
company wants to run Linux on an affected model and ends up paying
someone to look at this, or because someone with the necessary
skills happens to buy one and then gets annoyed enough by this to sink
enough time into the issue to figure things out.

This hw is still relatively new, so with some luck someone accidentally
fixes this while fixing another issue, which happens to have the
same root cause.

Short of one of these 2 happening I don't see this getting resolved
anytime soon. By all means, do file a bug for this, I just want to
set expectations about the (un)likelyness of this getting fixed
(or the bug getting much attention in general) beforehand.

Regards,

Hans