From: akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com>
To: "Burton, Ross" <ross.burton@intel.com>,
	OE-core <openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>,
	openembedded-architecture
	<openembedded-architecture@lists.openembedded.org>
Subject: Re: Enabling uninative by default in oe-core?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 08:28:25 -0800	[thread overview]

On 11/17/2016 09:31 AM, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Background: uninative is a class that downloads a precompiled host
> glibc for use in the sysroot, thus isolating the native sysroot from
> the host environment.  This means greater sstate reuse, as instead of
> native builds being dependent on the host system they're able to be
> shared between all hosts.  There is a reference tarball hosted on
> www.yoctoproject.org <http://www.yoctoproject.org>, and the URL can be
> overridden by distros if you would prefer to build your own.
>
> We enable this in Poky so that we get greater reuse on the
> autobuilders, and due to some issues with the C++ ABI the eSDK
> generation in master now requires uninative to be enabled. The
> question is: do we now enable uninative by default in oe-core's
> nodistro (pointing at the yoctoproject tarball), or do we keep it
> disabled by default and require the user to enable uninative if they
> wish to build an eSDK?

If Poky wants the default to use a prebuilt uninative that is fine, but
it should be not be the default in OE.  In the spirit of Bitbake,
uninative should be a build dependency for eSDK with the option of using
a prebuilt one.

> Personally I'm torn: I don't like eSDK not working out of the box, but
> I don't really like oe-core nodistro depending on uninative.

Well Bitbake does not work out of the box on every host either. There
are packages needing to exist on the host as a prerequisite. I see this
in the same light.
Do we make "Buildtools" a  requirement to use Bitbake?

> Though enabling uninative globally does mean everything works out of
> the box, so following the principle of Least Surprise that's what we
> should do.

I see there are multiple versions, which one works with which release?

- Armin