* Re: Openembedded-core Digest, Vol 106, Issue 126
       [not found] <mailman.25796.1574025583.1670.openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>
@ 2019-11-18 16:14 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2019-11-18 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core, openembedded-core-request

On 11/17/19 3:19 PM, openembedded-core-request@lists.openembedded.org wrote:

 >Message: 4 >Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 22:19:32 +0100 >From: Alexander
Kanavin <alex.kanavin@gmail.com> >To: Joseph Reynolds
<jrey@linux.ibm.com> >Cc: OE-core
<openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org> >Subject: Re: [OE-core] How
to add build date? (was: ... basehash value > changed...) >Message-ID: >
<CANNYZj8LNhF26TLHuLMPh6K40dXe8V5pgEvv8N3MAEFVy+vveg@mail.gmail.com>
the file at image creation, via >ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND. Got it,
thanks. I was unaware of ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND. >Having it in a
recipe means that you either force the recipe to not be a >part of
sstate cache, always rebuilding it and its dependencies (bad idea), >or
accept that the date comes from a previously built cache object, which
 >means it will mismatch the actual image creation date. > >A bit of
context would help: why would you want that info in os-release? >Who
would use that information and how? I don't fully understand the use
case. I think the build date is being used as a substitute for a
software version. I've re-asked the question to the original poster in
the OpenBMC email list:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-November/019493.html -
Joseph >Alex >On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 at 23:14, Joseph Reynolds
<jrey@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> Is there a best practice for folks who want to put the build date into
> their generated os-release file?  I've seen this question come up at
> least 3 times in my brief involvement with OE.  I could perhaps add
> comment to the OpenBMC os-release.bbappend file to provide the proper
> guidance.  I would like to hear your ideas.
>
> - Joseph

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-11-18 17:14 UTC | newest]