* RDEPENDS is ignored when building rootfs
@ 2018-03-28 15:00 Raphaël TILLET
From: Raphaël TILLET @ 2018-03-28 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I’m using « Pyro », and have built a very simple recipe. The build program Inside the recipe needs « libncurses.so » at run time, so I have added to my recipe the following :
- DEPENDS_{PN} = « ncurses »
- RDEPENDS_${PN}= «  ncurses-libform »

The build is ok, but my final RootFs does not contain the expected « libncurses.so » Library.

The only way to force the build to include « libncurses.so » in the rootfs is to add « ncurses-libform » to my « IMAGE_INSTALL » in « my local.conf » file, and normally I should not have to do this…..

I’ve search the web, and the RDEPENDS should be the right method, and I did not find an explanation of such behavior.

Any idea or suggestion ?

Thanks for your feedback or advice.

Raphaël.

* Re: RDEPENDS is ignored when building rootfs
@ 2018-03-28 15:57 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-03-28 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raphaël TILLET; +Cc: yocto

On 28 March 2018 at 16:00, Raphaël TILLET <rtillet@free.fr> wrote:
> I’m using « Pyro », and have built a very simple recipe. The build program
> Inside the recipe needs « libncurses.so » at run time, so I have added to my
> recipe the following :
>
> DEPENDS_{PN} = « ncurses »
> RDEPENDS_${PN}= «  ncurses-libform »
>

> The build is ok, but my final RootFs does not contain the expected «
> libncurses.so » Library.
>

> The only way to force the build to include « libncurses.so » in the rootfs
> file, and normally I should not have to do this…..

If your application links to libncurses normally then you won't need
to do RDEPENDS at all, because the dependency will be added
automatically.

libncurses.so.5 is actually in ncurses-libncurses, so that is what you
should add to RDEPENDS if your application dlopen()s ncurses instead
of linking.

Ross

* Re: RDEPENDS is ignored when building rootfs
@ 2018-03-28 16:17   ` rtillet
From: rtillet @ 2018-03-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: yocto

Hello Ross,

Thanks for your quick reply, but I have already tried your suggests:
Without "RDEPENDS", libncurses.is is not in the rootFs,
With "REDEPENDS=ncurses-libncurses", is not in the rootFs also.

I'm sure that the library is not called from a dlopen. The only way to make to work is to add "ncurses-libform" to the "local.conf" file.
I've spent the whole day to try to understand this issue, and I'm stuck and surprised that a so basic example does not work as it should.

As a reminder:
- I try to add a very basic recipe to a core-minimal-image
- For the beaglebone.

If you have any others suggestions, feel free.

Raphaël.

@ 2018-03-28 22:14     ` rtillet
From: rtillet @ 2018-03-28 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: yocto

All,

I figured out and solved my issue.

In fact the trouble was not due to the RDEPENDS value, but only to the fact that the recipe name (folder and bb file) contained one upper case later in their names.
It seems that to avoid any issue, this is important to not use upper case letter in recipe folder and file names.

Thanks.

Raphaël.