* CephFS + Erasure coding
@ 2015-04-30 20:55 Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2015-04-30 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi Greg,
Forgive my ignorance on this part if it is already discussed in the community. Could you please let me know if CephFS is supporting Erasure coded pool in the backend or not ?
If not, is there any plan of supporting this kind of configuration in near future ?

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

________________________________

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).

* Re: CephFS + Erasure coding
@ 2015-04-30 21:20 ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2015-04-30 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Somnath Roy <Somnath.Roy@sandisk.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> Forgive my ignorance on this part if it is already discussed in the community. Could you please let me know if CephFS is supporting Erasure coded pool in the backend or not ?
> If not, is there any plan of supporting this kind of configuration in near future ?

You can set replicated cache pools, positioned as tiers over an EC
pool, as data pools for CephFS. You cannot use EC pools directly for
CephFS. We have no plans to add support for EC pools in the
foreseeable future — since they have limited RADOS functionality we'd
need to implement a whole log-structured file storage system or
something. :(
-Greg

@ 2015-04-30 21:27   ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2015-04-30 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

Got it , thanks !

@ 2015-04-30 21:57     ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2015-04-30 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

Greg,
Probably not supported right now, but, wanted to confirm if there is any way we can use Ceph cache tier for only writes and reads are forwarded to the backend erasure coded pool.

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

> Forgive my ignorance on this part if it is already discussed in the community. Could you please let me know if CephFS is supporting Erasure coded pool in the backend or not ?
> If not, is there any plan of supporting this kind of configuration in near future ?

You can set replicated cache pools, positioned as tiers over an EC pool, as data pools for CephFS. You cannot use EC pools directly for CephFS. We have no plans to add support for EC pools in the foreseeable future — since they have limited RADOS functionality we'd need to implement a whole log-structured file storage system or something. :( -Greg

> Thanks & Regards
> Somnath
>
> ________________________________
>
> PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).

\x04 {.n +       +%  lzwm  b 맲  r  yǩ ׯzX  \x17  ܨ}   Ơz &j:+v        zZ+  +zf   h   ~    i   z \x1e w   ?    & )ߢ^[f

* Re: CephFS + Erasure coding
@ 2015-04-30 22:00       ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2015-04-30 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Somnath Roy <Somnath.Roy@sandisk.com> wrote:
> Greg,
> Probably not supported right now, but, wanted to confirm if there is any way we can use Ceph cache tier for only writes and reads are forwarded to the backend erasure coded pool.

Anything like that would be based on what librados does; CephFS can't
do anything special there. I'm not following the proxy changes and
things that are being done now in any detail.

* RE: CephFS + Erasure coding
@ 2015-05-06  2:42       ` Wang, Zhiqiang
From: Wang, Zhiqiang @ 2015-05-06  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

I think the readproxy mode is what you need. Read is proxied to the base tier, and write is on the cache tier.

Probably not supported right now, but, wanted to confirm if there is any way we can use Ceph cache tier for only writes and reads are forwarded to the backend erasure coded pool.

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

> Forgive my ignorance on this part if it is already discussed in the community. Could you please let me know if CephFS is supporting Erasure coded pool in the backend or not ?
> If not, is there any plan of supporting this kind of configuration in near future ?

You can set replicated cache pools, positioned as tiers over an EC pool, as data pools for CephFS. You cannot use EC pools directly for CephFS. We have no plans to add support for EC pools in the foreseeable future — since they have limited RADOS functionality we'd need to implement a whole log-structured file storage system or something. :( -Greg

> Thanks & Regards
> Somnath
>
> ________________________________
>
> PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).

\x04 {.n +       +%  lzwm  b 맲  r  yǩ ׯzX  \x17  ܨ}   Ơz &j:+v        zZ+  +zf   h   ~    i   z \x1e w   ?    & )ߢ^[f
N     r  y   b X  ǧv ^ )޺{.n +   z ]z   {ay \x1dʇڙ ,j   f   h   z \x1e w       j:+v   w j m         zZ+     ݢj"  ! i

* RE: CephFS + Erasure coding
@ 2015-05-06  4:17         ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2015-05-06  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Zhiqiang, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

Thanks Wang !
But, is this supported right now or coming with object stub implementation in Infernalis ?

Regards
Somnath

@ 2015-05-06  4:29           ` Wang, Zhiqiang
From: Wang, Zhiqiang @ 2015-05-06  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

This has been in the Hammer release when the proxy read code get merged in.

@ 2015-05-06  4:32             ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2015-05-06  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Zhiqiang, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

I didn't see (probably missed ?) any documentation on how to setup read proxy mode in the cache tier.
Could you please let me know or point to the link on how to set this up ?

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

@ 2015-05-06  4:39               ` Wang, Zhiqiang
From: Wang, Zhiqiang @ 2015-05-06  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somnath Roy, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

Just follow the steps in the official doc here: http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/
But change the cache mode to readproxy when setting cache-mode

@ 2015-05-06  5:03                 ` Somnath Roy
From: Somnath Roy @ 2015-05-06  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Zhiqiang, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

Thanks Wang ! I will try this out.

Regards
Somnath

But change the cache mode to readproxy when setting cache-mode

This has been in the Hammer release when the proxy read code get merged in.

But, is this supported right now or coming with object stub implementation in Infernalis ?

Regards
Somnath

I think the readproxy mode is what you need. Read is proxied to the base tier, and write is on the cache tier.

Probably not supported right now, but, wanted to confirm if there is any way we can use Ceph cache tier for only writes and reads are forwarded to the backend erasure coded pool.

Thanks & Regards
Somnath

> Forgive my ignorance on this part if it is already discussed in the community. Could you please let me know if CephFS is supporting Erasure coded pool in the backend or not ?
> If not, is there any plan of supporting this kind of configuration in near future ?

You can set replicated cache pools, positioned as tiers over an EC pool, as data pools for CephFS. You cannot use EC pools directly for CephFS. We have no plans to add support for EC pools in the foreseeable future — since they have limited RADOS functionality we'd need to implement a whole log-structured file storage system or something. :( -Greg

> Thanks & Regards
> Somnath

> PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).

\x04 {.n +       +%  lzwm  b 맲  r  yǩ ׯzX  \x17  ܨ}   Ơz &j:+v        zZ+  +zf   h   ~    i   z \x1e w   ?    & )ߢ^[f
N     r  y   b X  ǧv ^ )޺{.n +   z ]z   {ay \x1dʇڙ ,j   f   h   z \x1e w       j:+v   w j m         zZ+     ݢj"  ! i
\x13  칻\x1c & ~ & \x18  +-  ݶ\x17  w  ˛   m \x1e \x17^  b  ^n r   z \x1a  h    &  \x1e G   h \x03( 階 ݢj"  \x1a ^[m     z ޖ   f   h   ~ m