* circular references in recipe-depends.dot file
@ 2019-09-02  9:15 Gyula Kovács
From: Gyula Kovács @ 2019-09-02  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

I generated the recipe-depends.dot for yocto 2.6.3 (this is the base of our
system) and wanted to create a simplified graph of the dependencies. (The
recipe-depends.dot contains all dependencies which is not best suited for
displaying. So I wanted to build a dependency level structure that does not
include indirect dependencies. E.g. If acl depends on attr, the attr's
dependencies are not listed for acl.)
During the simplification I found that the recipe-depends.dot contains
circular dependencies. E.g. acl depends on attr (which is OK) but attr also
depends on acl, which is obviously impossible.
I checked different yocto versions, and the problem is also found in
versions 2.7, 2.5, 2.4, 2.3.
The simplification works for the older versions (2.2, 2.1 and 2.0), which
produced pn-depends.dot file.
Has anybody ever encountered this problem?
Have you ever tried to create a simplified, easier-to-read format from
recipe-depends.dot?

Best regards,
Gyula

* Re: circular references in recipe-depends.dot file
@ 2019-09-02  9:37 ` Richard Purdie
       [not found]   ` <CAJrV_B2DSYCoX23KEBzcfcTEhmrR_aGuJ4QqBdO+wp-aGJ-HBw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Richard Purdie @ 2019-09-02  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gyula Kovács, poky

On Mon, 2019-09-02 at 11:15 +0200, Gyula Kovács wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I generated the recipe-depends.dot for yocto 2.6.3 (this is the base
> of our system) and wanted to create a simplified graph of the
> dependencies. (The recipe-depends.dot contains all dependencies which
> is not best suited for displaying. So I wanted to build a dependency
> level structure that does not include indirect dependencies. E.g. If
> acl depends on attr, the attr's dependencies are not listed for acl.)
> During the simplification I found that the recipe-depends.dot
> contains circular dependencies. E.g. acl depends on attr (which is
> OK) but attr also depends on acl, which is obviously impossible.
> I checked different yocto versions, and the problem is also found in
> versions 2.7, 2.5, 2.4, 2.3.
> The simplification works for the older versions (2.2, 2.1 and 2.0),
> which produced pn-depends.dot file.
> Has anybody ever encountered this problem?
> Have you ever tried to create a simplified, easier-to-read format
> from recipe-depends.dot?

We've just removed recipe-depends.dot as its confusing people.

Dependencies are dependencies, you can't just ignore some or remove
some just because the graph is complicated. There is no such thing as
an "indirect" dependency, either a given task depends on another task
or it doesn't.

Part of the issue is people don't realise individual tasks have
dependencies (e.g. do_package_write_rpm needs rpm-native and so on).

You could use the task explorer (bitbake XXX -u taskexp -g) to have a
different way to visualise the information.

Cheers,

Richard

* [poky] Want to create a x11 image of less than 100 MB with bitbake
       [not found]     ` <d48535e24f045ea19ed3c9e45277b2ceda39c15e.camel@linuxfoundation.org>
@ 2019-09-04  8:33       ` Kamal Jagesia
From: Kamal Jagesia @ 2019-09-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi All
> I need your help to create a small Embedded Linux Image less than 100
> MB with x11 libraries.
> I have been trying to do this with core-image-x11 but I need to
> eliminate packages like bluez5 (Bluetooth) from poky bitbake build.
> Kindly let me know how to do this .

Regards
Kamal

* Re: [poky] Want to create a x11 image of less than 100 MB with bitbake
@ 2019-09-09  9:30         ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2019-09-09  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 04/09/2019 09:33, Kamal Jagesia wrote:
>  > I need your help to create a small Embedded Linux Image less than 100
>  > MB with x11 libraries.
>  > I have been trying to do this with core-image-x11 but I need to
>  > eliminate packages like bluez5 (Bluetooth) from poky bitbake build.
>  > Kindly let me know how to do this .

If you don't need large-scale features like Bluetooth then you can
remove them from DISTRO_FEATURES so they won't be built or installed.

Ross