From: maser rati <maseriyer@yahoo.com>
To: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
Cc: Alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Question about AT73C213.conf
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:18:38 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

 Following up, the kernel was compiled using gcc 3.4 instead of gcc 4.1 and the alsa driver seems to work better. This is a toolchain problem, according to Atmel and our distribution vendor.

 But, we get the following error messages:

 -bash-3.1# aplay -D default Noise.wav
 Playing WAVE 'Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
 ALSA lib pcm_plug.c:773:(snd_pcm_plug_hw_refine_schange) Unable to find an usable access for 'default'
 aplay: set_params:909: Channels count non available

 Could it be possible that there is something fishy going on with the alsa-lib ?

 Appreciate your input..

 Thanks,
 iyer

maser rati <lazardo12@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Takashi,

 Omitting the --prefix =/board-rfs, DESTDIR=/board-rfs was passed in make install, and on checking, it seemed that the bin, lib, share and include components of the alsa-lib were installed under /board-rfs/usr

 However on running an application, this is got

 -bash-3.1# ./soundtest default
 ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2152:(snd_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not usable
 cannot initialize hardware parameter structure (Invalid argument)

 Setting the environment variable $LIBASOUND_DEBUG to 1 does not cause any debugging information to be displayed to stderr. (I double checked via #echo to make sure LIBASOUND_DEBUG was set to 1)

 I'm clueless, am I doing anything wrong ?

 Thanks much,
 iyer

Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote: At Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:32:35 -0800  (PST),
maser rati wrote:

> The installation was done via the configure command, make and make install.
>
> How to enable the alsa-files to install to a specific directory, board-rfs ? On trying
> different options in the ./configure script; --prefix=/board-rfs exactly installs the
> alsa-lib components to it.

But --prefix=XXX overrides the path embedded in the code.  For
installing to another root, passing DESTDIR=XXX at make install is the
standard procedure.

> Moreover on running aplay, it was found that atrace wasn't able to locate alsa.conf,
> with the location being at at /etc/alsa, so the contents of /etc/alsa were moved to /
> usr/share/alsa. However it says that the setup is corrupt. Please find attached the
> strace for aplay; your valuable input is appreciated.

This is a different thing.  Now the system files are properly set and
alsa-lib reads them.  But, the driver  returns an error for the
required PCM setting.

Try to set $LIBASOUND_DEBUG to 1.  Then each hw_params error will be
displayed to stderr.  See alsa-lib/NOTES for details.

Takashi

Bored stiff? Loosen up...