* native python recipes using setuptools
@ 2021-02-16  9:59 Konrad Weihmann
From: Konrad Weihmann @ 2021-02-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled at the moment - after
fd6a007efa7cb45101a66f294af81d9d33bb3fab in meta-openembedded I faced a
lot of changes in the behavior of native-only recipes (@RP yes the ones
that don't use BBCLASSEXTEND :-))

after this change I had a couple of dependency loops like

python3-my-recipe-native > python3 > ... > python3-my-recipe-native

and I could track it down to distutils3-base.bbclass [1].
There for all recipes no matter what the set (I guess BBCLASSEXTEND
magic will solves that in the end) "python3-native python3" is set in
DEPENDS.

My question is, is that intended behavior or would it make sense to be
more explicit here, like

DEPENDS += "python3-native"
DEPENDS_class-target += "python3"

?

Mainly this happens when a globally inherited class requests a native
python3 package via DEPENDS (a not too uncommon use case for me).

Thoughts?

Cheers
Konrad

[1]
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/distutils3-base.bbclass#n1

* Re: [OE-core] native python recipes using setuptools
@ 2021-02-16 11:38 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-02-16 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Weihmann, openembedded-core

On Tue, 2021-02-16 at 10:59 +0100, Konrad Weihmann wrote:
> I'm a bit puzzled at the moment - after
> fd6a007efa7cb45101a66f294af81d9d33bb3fab in meta-openembedded I faced a
> lot of changes in the behavior of native-only recipes (@RP yes the ones
> that don't use BBCLASSEXTEND :-))
>
> after this change I had a couple of dependency loops like
>
> python3-my-recipe-native > python3 > ... > python3-my-recipe-native
>
> and I could track it down to distutils3-base.bbclass [1].
> There for all recipes no matter what the set (I guess BBCLASSEXTEND
> magic will solves that in the end) "python3-native python3" is set in
> DEPENDS.
>
> My question is, is that intended behavior or would it make sense to be
> more explicit here, like
>
> DEPENDS += "python3-native"
> DEPENDS_class-target += "python3"
>
> ?
>
> Mainly this happens when a globally inherited class requests a native
> python3 package via DEPENDS (a not too uncommon use case for me).
>
> Thoughts?

Definitely a bug, I've sent a patch. The DEPENDS would be needed for
nativesdk too and since it doesn't appear to require python3-native in
the native case, I didn't change that.

Cheers,

Richard