* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-07-31 18:43 Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2020-07-31 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tom,

I do see some progress with PowerPC migration but it seems to be very
behind. I notice that it is often PowerPC code that gets in the way or
refactoring and cleaning up.

Could we get a progress update on this please? I cc'd the maintainers
that are mentioned in the code. I do worry at the effort it is taking
to keep all this old code in the tree.

Regards,
Simon

* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-07-31 18:54 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2020-07-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:43:59PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I do see some progress with PowerPC migration but it seems to be very
> behind. I notice that it is often PowerPC code that gets in the way or
> refactoring and cleaning up.
>
> Could we get a progress update on this please? I cc'd the maintainers
> that are mentioned in the code. I do worry at the effort it is taking
> to keep all this old code in the tree.

Which particular area are you worried about currently?  I believe we've
had another good sized removal of PowerPC platforms and everything
that's left is what's wanted and being further migrated and updated.

--
Tom
> Which particular area are you worried about currently?  I believe we've
> had another good sized removal of PowerPC platforms and everything
> that's left is what's wanted and being further migrated and updated.

Actually we're just discussing with a customer to bring MPC82xx back
into mainline (and maintain it for another 5...7 years ....

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are  any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."  - Howard Aiken

* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-08-02  7:28     ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2020-08-02  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> On Aug 1, 2020, at 10:55 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
>

> Dear Tom,
>
> In message <20200731185425.GK6965@bill-the-cat> you wrote:
>>
>> Which particular area are you worried about currently?  I believe we've
>> had another good sized removal of PowerPC platforms and everything
>> that's left is what's wanted and being further migrated and updated.
>
> Actually we're just discussing with a customer to bring MPC82xx back
> into mainline (and maintain it for another 5...7 years ?.

I still have some development boards?.. :)

	? Dan

* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-08-03 18:01   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2020-08-03 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tom,

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 12:54, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:43:59PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I do see some progress with PowerPC migration but it seems to be very
> > behind. I notice that it is often PowerPC code that gets in the way or
> > refactoring and cleaning up.
> >
> > Could we get a progress update on this please? I cc'd the maintainers
> > that are mentioned in the code. I do worry at the effort it is taking
> > to keep all this old code in the tree.
>
> Which particular area are you worried about currently?  I believe we've
> had another good sized removal of PowerPC platforms and everything
> that's left is what's wanted and being further migrated and updated.

It's hard to be specific, but these come to mind:

- Loads of CONFIG options still not in Kconfig
- asm/u-boot seems to include a huge array of headers
- code style not up-to-date - e.g. printf (xxx) instead of printf(xxx)
- lots of migration warnings

I'm pleased things are moving forward but would like to know if there
are timelines.

Regards,
Simon

> --
> Tom

* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-08-03 23:01     ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2020-08-03 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Simon.

> On Aug 3, 2020, at 11:01 AM, Simon Glass <sjg@chromium.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 12:54, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:43:59PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tom,
>>>
>>> I do see some progress with PowerPC migration but it seems to be very
>>> behind. I notice that it is often PowerPC code that gets in the way or
>>> refactoring and cleaning up.
>>>
>>> Could we get a progress update on this please? I cc'd the maintainers
>>> that are mentioned in the code. I do worry at the effort it is taking
>>> to keep all this old code in the tree.
>>
>> Which particular area are you worried about currently?  I believe we've
>> had another good sized removal of PowerPC platforms and everything
>> that's left is what's wanted and being further migrated and updated.
>
> It's hard to be specific, but these come to mind:
>
> - Loads of CONFIG options still not in Kconfig
> - asm/u-boot seems to include a huge array of headers
> - code style not up-to-date - e.g. printf (xxx) instead of printf(xxx)
> - lots of migration warnings

I still have a few old boards, I?ll see what is still functional and jump in to assist.
If we want to revive 82xx, as Wolfgang mentioned, I can probably do that as well.

The list above is helpful to get started.

Thanks.

	? Dan

* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-08-04 11:20       ` Priyanka Jain
From: Priyanka Jain @ 2020-08-04 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Which particular area are you worried about currently?  I believe
>>> we've had another good sized removal of PowerPC platforms and
>>> everything that's left is what's wanted and being further migrated and
>updated.
>>
>> It's hard to be specific, but these come to mind:
>>
>> - Loads of CONFIG options still not in Kconfig
>> - asm/u-boot seems to include a huge array of headers
>> - code style not up-to-date - e.g. printf (xxx) instead of printf(xxx)
>> - lots of migration warnings
>
>I still have a few old boards, I?ll see what is still functional and jump in to
>assist.
>If we want to revive 82xx, as Wolfgang mentioned, I can probably do that as
>well.
>
>The list above is helpful to get started.
>
>Thanks.
>
>	? Dan

I am working on NXP powerpc platforms
We are working on a list (P1010, P1020, P2020, P2041, P3041, P4080, P5040, T1024, T1042, T2080, T4240, MPC8548CDS) for which we are ensuring DM migration and will remove the support of other platform which NXP no longer intend to maintain.
Please expect the series of those patches by this month end.

Regards
Priyanka

* PowerPC progress
@ 2020-08-04 15:28         ` Simon Glass

> [...]