On 01/09/2017 04:04 PM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote: > This patch split the global and per (inet)peer ICMP-reply limiter > code, and moves the global limit check to earlier in the packet > processing path. Thus, avoid spending cycles on ICMP replies that > gets limited/suppressed anyhow. > > The global ICMP rate limiter icmp_global_allow() is a good solution, > it just happens too late in the process. The kernel goes through the > full route lookup (return path) for the ICMP message, before taking > the rate limit decision of not sending the ICMP reply. > > Details: The kernels global rate limiter for ICMP messages got added > in commit 4cdf507d5452 ("icmp: add a global rate limitation"). It is > a token bucket limiter with a global lock. It brilliantly avoids > locking congestion by only updating when 20ms (HZ/50) were elapsed. It > can then avoids taking lock when credit is exhausted (when under > pressure) and time constraint for refill is not yet meet. This patch removed the rate limit bypass for localhost. As a result, it is impossible to write deterministic UDP client tests tests which exercise failover behavior in response to unreachable servers. H.J. Lu noted that a glibc test started failing on kernel 4.11 and identified the regression: https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-06/msg00167.html (I have more tests which are afflicted by this, but are not yet in glibc upstream.) This is particularly annoying because we already run such tests in a network namespace for isolation, but the rate limit counter is global, so that doesn't help here. I'm attaching a self-contained test case. It fails for me with: localhost-icmp: iteration 50: no ICMP message (poll timeout) On kernel 4.10, it passes and runs within just a few milliseconds. Would you please fix this in some way? Thanks. Florian