* Re: Manpages install location
       [not found] <2d9ab045-26cf-d178-79af-7f389d2f3b8b@digiware.nl>
@ 2017-02-07 18:11 ` kefu chai
From: kefu chai @ 2017-02-07 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen, ceph-devel

+ ceph-devel

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
> Hi Kefu,
>
> Do you have a hint on where to modify the install location for the
> manpages...
>
> They now end in /usr/local/man/man8 ...

doc/man/8/CMakeLists.txt

```
  install(FILES ${sphinx_output_dir}/${cmd}.8
    DESTINATION ${CEPH_MAN_DIR}/man8)
```

you need to conditionalize the DESTINATION arg.

> And FreeBSD has the packages man pages in /usr/local/man/

i think the manpages of section#8 installed by ports should go to
/usr/local/man/man8. see
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+12-current&arch=default&format=html.
for example, wget's manpage is located at
/usr/local/man/man1/wget.1.gz

> 2nd thing is that I prefer to gzip them, but that is not super
> essential. But most of the others are compressed.

you might need to add an add_custom_command() and conditionalize the
install() function to the loop of "foreach(man ${man_srcs})" to
install the gzipped man pages for FreeBSD. please be sure to
`find_program(GZIP gzip)` before using "gzip".

--
Regards
Kefu Chai

* Re: Manpages install location
@ 2017-02-07 22:18   ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2017-02-07 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai, ceph-devel

On 7-2-2017 19:11, kefu chai wrote:
> + ceph-devel
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>> Hi Kefu,
>>
>> Do you have a hint on where to modify the install location for the
>> manpages...
>>
>> They now end in /usr/local/man/man8 ...

I meant to write /usr/local/share/man/man8. Which is an odd mix of what
goes under Linux and FreeBSD packages.

> doc/man/8/CMakeLists.txt
>
> ```
>   install(FILES ${sphinx_output_dir}/${cmd}.8
>     DESTINATION ${CEPH_MAN_DIR}/man8)
> ```

Ah, I looked there, but obviously not deep enough in the tree.

> you need to conditionalize the DESTINATION arg.
>
>> And FreeBSD has the packages man pages in /usr/local/man/
>
> i think the manpages of section#8 installed by ports should go to
> /usr/local/man/man8. see
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+12-current&arch=default&format=html.
> for example, wget's manpage is located at
> /usr/local/man/man1/wget.1.gz

Yup, that is where I copy them right now in the ports Makefile.

>> 2nd thing is that I prefer to gzip them, but that is not super
>> essential. But most of the others are compressed.
>

> you might need to add an add_custom_command() and conditionalize the
> install() function to the loop of "foreach(man ${man_srcs})" to
> install the gzipped man pages for FreeBSD. please be sure to
> `find_program(GZIP gzip)` before using "gzip".

I'll have a shot at it.

Thanx,
--WjW