* [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-16 15:31 Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-16 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto list discussion

I am trying to use the "official" RPi 7" touch display
(https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/) with
meta-raspberrypi (most recent from master). However, I cannot get it to
work. As a matter of fact the display does not even show the GPU rainbow
screen making me think that the GPU firmware packaged with
meta-raspberrypi does not support the DSI display. It works just fine
with the latest Raspbian release (screen and touch).

I searched the web up and down but could not find anything. Maybe
somebody has an idea? Wrong firmware (maybe cannot be distributed
because of licensing...)?

Thanks,

Rudi

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-16 15:39 ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2019-05-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf J Streif, Yocto discussion list

On Thu, 16 May 2019, at 16:33, Rudolf J Streif wrote:
> I am trying to use the "official" RPi 7" touch display
> (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/) with
> meta-raspberrypi (most recent from master). However, I cannot get it to
> work. As a matter of fact the display does not even show the GPU rainbow
> screen making me think that the GPU firmware packaged with
> meta-raspberrypi does not support the DSI display. It works just fine
> with the latest Raspbian release (screen and touch).
>
> I searched the web up and down but could not find anything. Maybe
> somebody has an idea? Wrong firmware (maybe cannot be distributed
> because of licensing...)?

I'd recommend looking at https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/blob/master/docs/extra-build-config.md to see if there's some extra option you need to enable. If there's nothing documented there then raise an issue on the GitHub repository.

Cheers,

--
Paul Barker
Managing Director & Principal Engineer

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-16 16:01 ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2019-05-16 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf J Streif, Yocto list discussion

HI,

On 16/05/2019 16.31, Rudolf J Streif wrote:
> I am trying to use the "official" RPi 7" touch display
> (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/)
> with meta-raspberrypi (most recent from master). However, I cannot get
> it to work. As a matter of fact the display does not even show the GPU
> rainbow screen making me think that the GPU firmware packaged with
> meta-raspberrypi does not support the DSI display. It works just fine
> with the latest Raspbian release (screen and touch).
>
> I searched the web up and down but could not find anything. Maybe
> somebody has an idea? Wrong firmware (maybe cannot be distributed
> because of licensing...)?
Sadly we don't actively test display and other related toys so they
might be broken. Even so, I would be surprised if the DSI port doesn't
work. What is you final config.txt (pastebin it please)?

--
Andrei Gherzan
gpg: rsa4096/D4D94F67AD0E9640 | t: @agherzan

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-16 16:22   ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan, Yocto list discussion

Thank you, Andrei. Much appreciated.

https://pastebin.com/bHUHaRkL

It's the config.txt that is packaged with the image.

:rjs

@ 2019-05-16 16:24   ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-16 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker, Yocto discussion list

Thank you, Paul. I did read Andrei's excellent documentation and enabled
I2C and SPI etc.

:rjs

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-16 16:46     ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2019-05-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf J Streif, Paul Barker, Yocto discussion list

Hi,

On 16/05/2019 17.24, Rudolf J Streif wrote:
> Thank you, Paul. I did read Andrei's excellent documentation and
> enabled I2C and SPI etc.
And it didn't work?

--

@ 2019-05-16 17:33       ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-16 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan, Paul Barker, Yocto discussion list

No, unfortunately not. HDMI works just fine but no video on the touch
display.

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-17 20:14         ` Bernhard Mayritsch
From: Bernhard Mayritsch @ 2019-05-17 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf J Streif; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

I don't know if it's helpful, but I'm struggling with a similar issue on my
RPi 3 B+, where the official touchscreen, as well as, the HDMI don't output
any graphics, although detected correctly. (See:
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2019-May/045277.html)
After experimenting with sumo, thud and the latest master recipes, I
remembered a conversation on Andrei's GitHub project (
https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/issues/228), which isn't
exactly related to my issue, but I gave it a try to switch the machine from
"raspberrypi3-64" to "raspberrypi3" in order to get a 32 bit version of the
same build (of master) for core-image-x11.
However, ... this image works for the DSI port, as well as, for the HDMI.

This isn't a real solution, but at least a point to start investigating the
problem and comparing the two builds. Will try to find some time, during
the coming week, to do so, ... although I'm not experienced with the RPis -
maybe I can find something.

Regards,
Bernhard

@ 2019-05-19  5:13   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-05-19  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan, Rudolf J Streif, Yocto list discussion

On 5/16/19 9:01 AM, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> HI,
>
> On 16/05/2019 16.31, Rudolf J Streif wrote:
>> I am trying to use the "official" RPi 7" touch display
>> (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/)
>> with meta-raspberrypi (most recent from master). However, I cannot get
>> it to work. As a matter of fact the display does not even show the GPU
>> rainbow screen making me think that the GPU firmware packaged with
>> meta-raspberrypi does not support the DSI display. It works just fine
>> with the latest Raspbian release (screen and touch).
>>
>> I searched the web up and down but could not find anything. Maybe
>> somebody has an idea? Wrong firmware (maybe cannot be distributed
>> because of licensing...)?
> Sadly we don't actively test display and other related toys so they
> might be broken. Even so, I would be surprised if the DSI port doesn't
> work. What is you final config.txt (pastebin it please)?

are you building 64bit or 32bit images ?
are you using vc4grpahics or userland graphics ?

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] RPi 7" Touch Display
@ 2019-05-19  6:02     ` Rudolf Streif
From: Rudolf Streif @ 2019-05-19  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Thanks, Khem. 64 bit, raspberrypi3-64 machine with vc4graphics.

@ 2019-05-19 16:11       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2019-05-19 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Streif; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:02 PM Rudolf Streif <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, Khem. 64 bit, raspberrypi3-64 machine with vc4graphics.

Please try 32bit we only have hdmi tested in 64bit this far

@ 2019-05-19 20:26         ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-19 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

I tried to build for 32 bit with:

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION           = "1.43.0"
BUILD_SYS            = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING      = "universal"
TARGET_SYS           = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE              = "raspberrypi3"
DISTRO               = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION       = "2.7+snapshot-20190519"
TUNE_FEATURES        = "arm vfp cortexa7 neon vfpv4 thumb
callconvention-hard"
TARGET_FPU           = "hard"
meta
meta-poky
meta-yocto-bsp       = "master:ff472ffbb0d143de8187d84dbbf18453318f303f"
meta-raspberrypi     = "master:7059c374512f1c1c0df9ecab0703d11438bdf78b"
meta-oe
meta-multimedia
meta-networking
meta-python          = "master:1ecd8b43645883cd4fa652826e93137c942dd82c"

However, mesa-gl; now fails compiling:

ld: src/gbm/cd6bfad@@gbm@sha/main_backend.c.o: in function
`_gbm_create_device':

/usr/src/debug/mesa-gl/2_19.0.3-r0/build/../mesa-19.0.3/src/gbm/main/backend.c:104:
undefined reference to `gbm_dri_backend'

I have not encountered that before when building for raspberrypi3 before.

:rjs

@ 2019-05-21  1:21         ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2019-05-21  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto list discussion