Hi Paul, On Wed, 27 Jul 2022, Paul Smith wrote: > On Wed, 2022-07-27 at 11:15 +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote: > > That "don't" is up for discussion, but a subsequent re-roll should > > argue it based on the points raised there. > > > > If we *are* going to change this then: > > > >  * We should mark this for translation with _() > >  * Don't have the translation include the \n > > If no change to the text is wanted, then maybe a patch should be > applied that adds a comment to the code saying that these strings are > left as-is and not localized intentionally, to avoid similar issues in > the future. Matthias Aßauer said it best at https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1298#issuecomment-1196410927: These two are plumbing messages that where intentionally left out of the last effort to correct uses of "up-to-date" to "up to date" faf420e05a9 (treewide: correct several "up-to-date" to "up to date", 2017-08-23), 7560f547e61 (treewide: correct several "up-to-date" to "up to date", 2017-08-23). This makes it not only clear why they have not been changed, but also why they are not translated: those messages are not intended for human eyes, but for programs to parse. I like the suggestion very much to add comments above these two remaining dashed "up-to-date"s. Paul, would you mind coalescing the information you received into a commit message, adding the comments instead of changing the messages, and submit the next iteration? Thanks, Dscho