From: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
To: Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>
Cc: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: git cvsimport and case-insensitive config
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:14:49 -0700	[thread overview]

Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com> writes:

> (-s likely has a single character, -S more than one. -S is likely to
> have * or ?, -s not.)

The value given to -S can just be 'tests', or even "\.", as the regexp
match is not anchored on either side:

		if ($opt_S && $fn =~ m/$opt_S/) {
		    print "SKIPPING $fn v $rev\n";

And "-s" would likely be one or more (but not too many) non-alphanumeric
characters.

But a bigger question is if you can bet on that heuristics, and when the
heuristics does not work, what you would do.

>> A bigger reason is that, if you have _any_ combination that you cannot
>> reliably guess, you would either need the user to ask for help, or you
>> need to convert by reading the configuration file case-sensitively
>> yourself to come up with a reliable conversion.  I opted for the latter.
>
> Would such a configuration work at all?

What configuration?