On 24.08.21 15:38, Ian Jackson wrote: > Julien Grall writes ("Re: Xen 4.16: Proposed release manager and schedule"): >> On 19/08/2021 16:36, Ian Jackson wrote: >>> One option is to slip the whole release, in the expectation (hope!) of >>> collecting more input. In practical terms because of the impact of >>> Christmas and New Year on many of our contributors, a month's slip now >>> is probably more like two months' slip to the release. So arguably >>> for this to be worth it, we ought to plan to slip 2 months now and >>> release in February. >> >> A 2 months slip looks appealling to get more features. But it means we >> will end up to split all the future releases. > > No, it wouldn't, really. Our usual release interval is 9 months. 8 months (that's what I suggested in my time as a release manager and what was approved and never changed "officially"). > 9+2 = 11, so the result would be a one month longer release, if we > delayed this one by 2 months. In practice it is always a bit of a > struggle to keep things to time (that's the way things are set up with > this system) so I think this is well within our usual tolerances. > > For the avoidance of doubt, I am not arguing in favour of this option. > But I wanted to present it as a reasonable option the community might > want to consider. > > Jan, do you have an opnion about this ? Do you expect that a 2-3 > month slip would help with your review backlog, bearing in mind the > people who are currently on leave and when they'll be back ? > > If no-one wishes to argue in favour of the longer slip I think we > should go with the normal plan. > >> At the moment, my preference is to stick with the release in December. >> We don't have major contributions checked in yet on Arm, but there is a >> chance to have a couple of them with the current schedule on Arm. >> >> We also have a collection of bug fixes which makes Arm running better on >> some platform. >> >> So I think the release would still be worthwhile even in the worst case >> where nothing major is merged. > > Thanks for the opinion. > > > Can I at least get a +1 from someone for appointing me as RM > for 4.16 ? :-) +1 :-) Juergen