* [lttng-dev] Possibilities to customize lttng tracepoints in kernel space
@ 2020-12-16  9:19 Serica via lttng-dev
From: Serica via lttng-dev @ 2020-12-16  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

I send this email to consult that whether it is possible to customize lttng tracepoints in kernel space. I have learnt that lttng leverages linux tracepoint to collect audit logs like system calls. Also, I have found that user can define their customized tracepoints in user space by using lttng-ust so that they can trace their user applications.

Is it possible for lttng users to customize the existing tracepoints in kernel space? For example, after the system call sys_clone, or read, called and then collected by lttng, I want to process some data ( e.g., the return value of the syscall ), and place the result in a new field in the audit log ( or using another approach, by emitting a new type of event in the audit log ), and later when parsed by babeltrace, we can see the newly-added field or event in the parsed result.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best wishes,

Serica

* Re: [lttng-dev] Possibilities to customize lttng tracepoints in kernel space
@ 2020-12-17 15:27 ` Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev
  2020-12-24  2:46   ` [lttng-dev] =?gb18030?b?u9i4tKO6ICBQb3NzaWJpbGl0aWVzIHRvIGN1c3Rv?= =?gb18030?q?mize_lttng_tracepoints_in_kernel_space?= Serica via lttng-dev
From: Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev @ 2020-12-17 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serica; +Cc: lttng-dev

----- On Dec 16, 2020, at 4:19 AM, lttng-dev <lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org> wrote:

> Hi,

> I send this email to consult that whether it is possible to customize lttng
> tracepoints in kernel space. I have learnt that lttng leverages linux
> tracepoint to collect audit logs like system calls. Also, I have found that
> user can define their customized tracepoints in user space by using lttng-ust
> so that they can trace their user applications.

> Is it possible for lttng users to customize the existing tracepoints in kernel
> space? For example, after the system call sys_clone, or read, called and then
> collected by lttng, I want to process some data ( e.g., the return value of the
> syscall ), and place the result in a new field in the audit log ( or using
> another approach, by emitting a new type of event in the audit log ), and later
> when parsed by babeltrace, we can see the newly-added field or event in the
> parsed result.

> Looking forward to your reply.

Hi,

You will want to start by having a look at this section of the LTTng documentation: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.12/#doc-instrumenting-linux-kernel

You can indeed modify lttng-modules to change the fields gathered by the system call tracing facility (see include/instrumentation/syscalls/README section (3)).
Those changes will be reflected in the resulting trace data.

Thanks,

Mathieu

> Best wishes,

> Serica