On 04/26/2018 03:20 PM, Christoph Paasch wrote: > On 26/04/18 - 14:25:24, Rao Shoaib wrote: >> >> On 04/26/2018 01:52 PM, Christoph Paasch wrote: >>> This kind of lock-taking also causes trouble with RCU LOCKDEP debugging - as >>> I mentioned in a previous e-mail. >> I have not looked into it so I can not comment. I am sure we will find a way >> to address it. >>> And beyond that, it requires that everytime a TCP-change is being done, one >>> needs to take MPTCP into account. E.g., when upstream added the SOCK_DESTROY >>> interface (and Samsung backported it to v4.4), there were panics on Android >>> devices (https://github.com/multipath-tcp/mptcp/issues/170). >>> >>> Avoid taking the meta-socket lock on subflow-work allows for much easier >>> maintenance in the long-term. >> The bug that you have pointed out is a run of the mill bug that we see >> everyday, there is nothing special about it. > Euh, you mean the issue #170 is happening frequently? > > It shouldn't! If it does, that's a big concern. No we have not encountered the bug. What I meant to say was that when changes or enhancements are made to the code it is quite common that something breaks. That is the case in the bug that you pointed. > >> Taking meta lock actually simplifies things a lot and has reduced >> maintainable cost, not taking the meta lock will create timing issues left >> and right. So we are just trading one headache with another. >> >> Holding meta lock should not be piped up unnecessarily. Yes, if possible if >> should be changed, plus our patch has only 6 cases in TCP. > I think, you are taking the MPTCP point-of-view here. Yes, taking the > meta-level lock does reduce maintainability of MPTCP (which is why we did it > that way in the first place ;-)) > > However, for upstreaming we have to think the other way around. TCP is the > common-case, and MPTCP is the exotic corner-case only few care about. > > So, TCP-maintainability is of outmost importance. Way more important than > MPTCP's. I agree that TCP stability and maintainability is of extreme importantance. However, this code causes no instability or maintainability issues to TCP code. Consider the bug that you pointed out, MPTCP fails not TCP. We have to accept the fact that TCP changes will breakĀ  MPTCP no matter what the implementation is because TCP maintainers may or may not test MPTCP. So this is nothing out of the extraordinary. Our patch tries to maintain the stability of TCP. We have reduced MPTCP code within TCP and anything that is left is under #ifdef MPTCP so that TCP developers can enhance, build and test TCP without worrying about MPTCP. Not only that, we have tried to limit any performance impact to pure TCP when MPTCP is enabled. I really do not see any maintainability or stability issues for TCP. TCP will work and behave as it does today without MPTCP. Rao. > > Christoph > >> Shoaib. >> >> [1] If MPTCP is built on top of TCP, any change in TCP will always have to >> worry about MPTCP particularly in the control path. There is a overhead of >> adding MPTCP on TCP and no one can argue against it. >> >>> >>> Christoph >>>