From: Matthieu Baerts <matthieu.baerts@tessares.net>
To: Paolo Abeni <pabeni@redhat.com>,
	Mat Martineau <mathew.j.martineau@linux.intel.com>
Cc: MPTCP Upstream <mptcp@lists.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: Checksum support: default behaviour
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:58:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Paolo,

Thank you for your reply!

On 14/06/2021 12:39, Paolo Abeni wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-06-11 at 21:05 -0700, Mat Martineau wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> With the current checksum support series from Geliang and Paolo
>>> available in our tree, the default behaviour is not to use this checksum
>>> feature.
>>>
>>> Should we eventually do the opposite and have it enabled by default?
>>>
>>> I do understand this has a cost in terms of performances but this could
>>> help detecting nasty middleboxes, i.e. the ones that modify the TCP
>>> packets without modifying MPTCP options if needed.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I don't have numbers showing if these middleboxes are
>>> rare or not.
>>>
>>> But also, the main issue I see if we enable the checksum support by
>>> default is that we are no longer able to talk to servers not supporting
>>> it (<5.13), no?
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>

>> I lean toward leaving checksums off by default, based on what I've heard
>> from community members. It sounds like large deployments haven't seen
>> checksums catch many problems? Some actual data about the frequency of
>> checksum failures would really help.
>
> +1 on keeping csum disabled by default until we have at least one of
> - performance data (delta)
> - impact proof (csum corruption in the wild)

I agree: it seems to be a good plan.

But if we decide now to keep it disabled by default, could we later
enable it by default? It is a visible modification for the userspace,
not really an API break but well...

>   (side note: even with no middle boxes at all, no app-layer mangling,
> we can have bad MPTCP csum with correct TCP csum, e.g. due to BER plus
> bad luck causing a stream corruption not catched by TCP csum but
> catched by the MPTCP csum).

I guess that would be quite unlucky, no? Lower layers also checks for
corruption, no?

Cheers,
Matt
--
Tessares | Belgium | Hybrid Access Solutions
www.tessares.net