Hi, I'm investigating BTRFS using an external USB HDD on a Linux Debian Stretch/Sid system. The drive is not reliable. And I noticed when there is an error and the USB device appears to be dead to the kernel, I am later unable to remount rw the drive. I can mount it read only though. This seems to be a systematic behavior. And it occasionally happens when the computer wake up from sleep and the drive is still attached. Power cycling the disk do not change anything, but restarting the computer "solves" the issue. I believe this may be caused by BTRFS having issues since the kernel assign a different device name to the drive when it bring it back inline? Or BTRFS didn't realize the "original" drive has gone away? Attached are the dmesg output corresponding to my issue. Initially, the drive was mounted rw and associated to the /dev/sdb device, the btrfs partition being /dev/sdb1 After the failure, I power cycled the drive, and the kernel brought it back as /dev/sdc I can mount /dev/sdc1 read only. But I'm unable to mount it read-write. Interestingly, the message in dmesg still mention /dev/sdb1 as the device whereas it should be /dev/sdc1. sylvain@bulbizarre:~$ uname -a Linux bulbizarre 4.9.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1 (2017-03-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux sylvain@bulbizarre:~$ btrfs --version btrfs-progs v4.7.3 sylvain@bulbizarre:~$ sudo btrfs fi show Label: 'G-Drive' uuid: 9465dad3-6604-4437-883e-f66386d69ac8 Total devices 1 FS bytes used 503.34GiB devid 1 size 931.51GiB used 507.02GiB path /dev/sdc1 Any clue to help me mounting back the disk without having to restart the system would be greatly appreciated! Regards, - Sylvain. -- -- Sylvain Leroux -- sylvain@chicoree.fr -- http://www.chicoree.fr