From: Tom Aspenwall <tom@linuxtom.com>
To: linux-input@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Issue with psmouse Kernel Module and Trackpoint Drift Correction
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:50:30 -0600	[thread overview]

Hello,

I'm experiencing an annoying issue with the psmouse kernel module on my
Gen3 T14 ThinkPad, which uses an Elan Trackpoint. When I hold the
trackpoint in one direction for about 5 seconds, it seems to recalibrate
to a new center spot. Consequently, when I release the trackpoint, the
mouse cursor moves in the opposite direction for about 5 seconds.

I've tried to disable this feature by adjusting the module parameters
(resync_time, resetafter) through various methods including udev,
modprobe, and sysfs, and even by modifying the source code. However,
none of these adjustments have changed the behavior, though sensitivity
adjustments seem to work as expected.

I've dipped into the psmouse source code, which is a over my head, and
changed default values for the parameters, recompiled the module, and
reloaded it, to no avail. I'm beginning to suspect these parameters do
not control the recalibration "feature". modinfo does state that setting
both parameters to 0 should disable them, but this has not resolved the
issue.

I've confirmed it's likely a psmouse issue, having replicated the
problem on a minimal system setup without a desktop environment or
libinput, using only evtest. I even tried modifying TP_DEF_DRIFT_TIME in
trackpoint.h out of pure desperation.

Is there any way to fix this issue, or could someone provide more
insight into what exactly these parameters (resync_time, resetafter)
control?  Also where can I change the length of time that the
recalibration occurs.  If the recalibatron where a longer period I doubt
I would hold it for the length of time it takes to trigger the
recalibration, but 5 seconds gets in the way of fine control of the
trackpoint.

My setup is debian sid, gnome on wayland, debian kernel 6.7.9 and 6.8.7
built from source.

Thank you for your assistance,

Tom
tom@linuxtom.com