On 3/5/19 10:34 AM, speck for Thomas Gleixner wrote: > On Mon, 4 Mar 2019, speck for Jon Masters wrote: > >> On 3/1/19 4:47 PM, speck for Thomas Gleixner wrote: >>> if (static_branch_unlikely(&vmx_l1d_should_flush)) >>> vmx_l1d_flush(vcpu); >>> + else if (static_branch_unlikely(&mds_user_clear)) >>> + mds_clear_cpu_buffers(); >> >> Does this cover the case where we have older ucode installed that does >> L1D flush but NOT the MD_CLEAR? I'm about to go check to see if there's >> logic handling this but wanted to call it out. > > If no updated microcode is available then it's pretty irrelevant which code > path you take. None of them will mitigate MDS. You're right. My fear was we'd have some microcode that mitigated L1D without implied MD clear but also did MDS. I was incorrect - all ucode that will be publicly released will have both properties. Jon. -- Computer Architect | Sent with my Fedora powered laptop