Pekka Paalanen writes: > I was under the impression that if you have a VR application running on > the HMD, it necessarily also implies that you have a VR compositor > running, which means that there is always some process providing a valid > image to the HMD. (At least in end-user setups.) Yes, I think the point I was trying to make was that X should never attempt to talk to the HMD and provide an image. > I assumed that means there are no VR apps nor a VR compositor that > could handle the HMD. In that case I think the HMD should be always > off. Agreed. > I presume that if "desktop" is set to "true", it implies that the HMD > is capable of showing a simple 2D canvas in stereo without any special > rendering and with the default video mode. That is, creating a sort of > a virtual 2D monitor. That would be nice. I was thinking that 'desktop' would be true for non-HMD displays that didn't need the VR compositor. If you've got a VR compositor and want to paint the desktop inside the VR environment, then I think you'd want to create a synthetic monitor and hand images from that to the VR compositor each frame. > FWIW, it all sounds good to me! > > I don't really have an opinion on XML vs. JSON, I'm just happy it's not > another ad hoc format. Yeah, I think we're done with ad-hoc formats. I've done both XML and JSON, and JSON is way easier to hand write, but we already use XML in a bunch of places, so the necessary libaries are already linked into the server... -- -keith