tytso@mit.edu writes: > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:23:45PM +0300, Dmitry Monakhov wrote: >> > >> > I think deprecating an option is not the same as removing it entirely. >> Ohh.. I've hoped to reuse freed bits for new crap. > > What "new crap" are you hoping to will need mount options? I want two bits in mount flags. But only one is available for now. Don't you mind to extend mount flags to 64 bits? >One of the > things I want to do long term is to try to reduce/remove mount options > in general. > > If we get general agreement that it's time to just turn on acl's and > xattr's by default, we can change the default, and in that case > removing the "noacl/noxattr" might be something that we might not need > to keep for as long, or maybe at all. But for things like > bsddf/minixdf, we do need some kind of deprecation schedule. > > The use of Opt_deprecated and Opt_disabled seems a little pointless; > nothing is using now, and nothing needs it. All I'd probably do is > something like this: > > static char deprecated_msg[] = "Mount option \"%s\" will be removed by %s\n" > "Contact linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org if you think we should keep it.\n" > > And then in each option that we want to deprecate, just add: > > ext4_msg(sb, KERN_WARN, deprecated_msg, "bsddf", "2.6.39"); Yess. Definitely this look nicer.