* treewide: License cleanup - RedHat originated
@ 2022-05-22 14:54 Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2022-05-22 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Fontana; +Cc: linux-spdx

Richard!

Sorry for pestering you, but the amount of files is just too much to split
it up and targetting the authors is difficult because quite some of them
are not longer at RHT. The files are all (c) RedHat or Sistina Software,
which is part of RedHat since 2003.

This is part of the effort to clean up the licensing mess in the kernel and
convert it to SPDX license identifiers as the only source of license
information.

Archaeology found the following unspecific GPL license references, which
have been authored by RedHat/Sistina.

To clean this up, can you please either advise the RHT kernel team or let
me know which GPLv2 variant to use for the files and I run it through my
cleanup machinery.

Thanks,

	Thomas

1) this file is released under the gpl

   drivers/md/dm-bio-prison-v1.c
   drivers/md/dm-bio-prison-v1.h
   drivers/md/dm-bio-prison-v2.c
   drivers/md/dm-bio-prison-v2.h
   drivers/md/dm-bio-record.h
   drivers/md/dm-bufio.c
   drivers/md/dm-cache-background-tracker.c
   drivers/md/dm-cache-background-tracker.h
   drivers/md/dm-cache-block-types.h
   drivers/md/dm-cache-metadata.c
   drivers/md/dm-cache-metadata.h
   drivers/md/dm-cache-policy-internal.h
   drivers/md/dm-cache-policy-smq.c
   drivers/md/dm-cache-policy.c
   drivers/md/dm-cache-policy.h
   drivers/md/dm-cache-target.c
   drivers/md/dm-crypt.c
   drivers/md/dm-delay.c
   drivers/md/dm-ebs-target.c
   drivers/md/dm-exception-store.c
   drivers/md/dm-exception-store.h
   drivers/md/dm-flakey.c
   drivers/md/dm-integrity.c
   drivers/md/dm-io-tracker.h
   drivers/md/dm-io.c
   drivers/md/dm-ioctl.c
   drivers/md/dm-kcopyd.c
   drivers/md/dm-linear.c
   drivers/md/dm-log-writes.c
   drivers/md/dm-mpath.c
   drivers/md/dm-mpath.h
   drivers/md/dm-path-selector.c
   drivers/md/dm-path-selector.h
   drivers/md/dm-ps-queue-length.c
   drivers/md/dm-ps-round-robin.c
   drivers/md/dm-ps-service-time.c
   drivers/md/dm-raid.c
   drivers/md/dm-raid1.c
   drivers/md/dm-region-hash.c
   drivers/md/dm-rq.c
   drivers/md/dm-snap-persistent.c
   drivers/md/dm-snap-transient.c
   drivers/md/dm-snap.c
   drivers/md/dm-stripe.c
   drivers/md/dm-switch.c
   drivers/md/dm-sysfs.c
   drivers/md/dm-table.c
   drivers/md/dm-target.c
   drivers/md/dm-thin-metadata.c
   drivers/md/dm-thin-metadata.h
   drivers/md/dm-thin.c
   drivers/md/dm-unstripe.c
   drivers/md/dm-zero.c
   drivers/md/dm.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-array.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-array.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-bitset.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-bitset.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-block-manager.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-block-manager.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-btree-internal.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-btree-remove.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-btree-spine.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-btree.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-btree.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-persistent-data-internal.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map-common.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map-common.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map-disk.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map-disk.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map-metadata.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map-metadata.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-space-map.h
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-transaction-manager.c
   drivers/md/persistent-data/dm-transaction-manager.h
   include/linux/dm-bufio.h
   include/linux/dm-io.h
   include/linux/dm-kcopyd.h
   include/linux/dm-region-hash.h

2) this file is released under the lgpl

   drivers/md/dm-core.h
   drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-base.c
   drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.c
   drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.h
   drivers/md/dm-log.c
   drivers/md/dm-rq.h
   drivers/md/dm.h
   include/linux/device-mapper.h
   include/linux/dm-dirty-log.h

3) (c) 2000 red hat gpl d

   drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0001.c
   drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0020.c
   drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_probe.c
   drivers/mtd/chips/gen_probe.c
   drivers/mtd/chips/jedec_probe.c
   drivers/mtd/chips/map_ram.c
   drivers/mtd/chips/map_rom.c
   drivers/mtd/maps/solutionengine.c

4) this code is covered by the gpl

   drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_util.c

5) this software may be freely redistributed under the terms of the gnu
   general public license you should have received a copy of the gnu general
   public license along with this program if not write to the free software
   foundation inc 675 mass ave cambridge ma 02139 usa

   fs/afs/callback.c
   fs/afs/inode.c
   fs/afs/super.c

6) released under the general public license (gpl)

   lib/list_debug.c

* Re: treewide: License cleanup - RedHat originated
@ 2022-05-22 17:33 ` Richard Fontana
From: Richard Fontana @ 2022-05-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: linux-spdx, Mike Snitzer, Jonathan Brassow

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> Richard!
>
> Sorry for pestering you, but the amount of files is just too much to split
> it up and targetting the authors is difficult because quite some of them
> are not longer at RHT. The files are all (c) RedHat or Sistina Software,
> which is part of RedHat since 2003.
>
> This is part of the effort to clean up the licensing mess in the kernel and
> convert it to SPDX license identifiers as the only source of license
> information.
>
> Archaeology found the following unspecific GPL license references, which
> have been authored by RedHat/Sistina.
>
> To clean this up, can you please either advise the RHT kernel team or let
> me know which GPLv2 variant to use for the files and I run it through my
> cleanup machinery.

Hi Thomas,

I assume you're selecting files that have some sort of Red Hat or
Sistina copyright notice. Just as a disclaimer, I can't speak to
copyrights in these files that may be held by other organizations or
individuals (and I can't say definitively whether any file bearing a
Red Hat or Sistina copyright notice has or retains any copyright owned
by Red Hat). With that said:

> 1) this file is released under the gpl

I am fine with saying that any Red Hat copyrights (including any
Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat) in these can be represented
with SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.

I would note that the following files did not seem to have any Red Hat
or Sistina copyright notices:

>    drivers/md/dm-log-writes.c
>    drivers/md/dm-ps-queue-length.c
>    drivers/md/dm-ps-service-time.c
>    drivers/md/dm-unstripe.c
>    drivers/md/dm-zero.c

Skipping category 2 for the moment:

> 3) (c) 2000 red hat gpl d

> 4) this code is covered by the gpl

> 5) this software may be freely redistributed under the terms of the gnu
>    general public license you should have received a copy of the gnu general
>    public license along with this program if not write to the free software
>    foundation inc 675 mass ave cambridge ma 02139 usa

> 6) released under the general public license (gpl)

I am fine with saying that any Red Hat copyrights (including any
Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat) in these can be represented
with SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.

> 2) this file is released under the lgpl
>
>    drivers/md/dm-core.h
>    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-base.c
>    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.c
>    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.h
>    drivers/md/dm-log.c
>    drivers/md/dm-rq.h
>    drivers/md/dm.h
>    include/linux/device-mapper.h
>    include/linux/dm-dirty-log.h

For these, if the question is just about what version of the LGPL we
should treat these as, I'd be fine with representing them as
SDPX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1.

However, and I realize this may go beyond my 'remit' as someone
consulted for linux-spdx stuff or open some additional bag of worms,
I'm wondering if these would be better off just relicensed under
GPLv2, and thus represented as SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0. Even
treating this code as having been LGPLv2.x-licensed, this would be
authorized or at any rate contemplated by the largely-overlooked
LGPLv2.0/LGPLv2.1 section 3. Suggesting this because it would seem to
help marginally with some of the goals of this initiative and also
because it's not obvious to me why LGPL would have been preferred over
GPLv2 for these files to begin with, assuming they weren't copied from
some unrelated LGPL-licensed project. I've cc'd Jonathan Brassow and
Mike Snitzer in case they have any thoughts on this.

Richard

* Re: treewide: License cleanup - RedHat originated
@ 2022-05-22 18:12   ` Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2022-05-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Fontana; +Cc: linux-spdx, Mike Snitzer, Jonathan Brassow

Richard!

On Sun, May 22 2022 at 13:33, Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
> I assume you're selecting files that have some sort of Red Hat or
> Sistina copyright notice. Just as a disclaimer, I can't speak to
> copyrights in these files that may be held by other organizations or
> individuals (and I can't say definitively whether any file bearing a
> Red Hat or Sistina copyright notice has or retains any copyright owned
> by Red Hat). With that said:
>
>> 1) this file is released under the gpl
>
> I am fine with saying that any Red Hat copyrights (including any
> Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat) in these can be represented
> with SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.
>
> I would note that the following files did not seem to have any Red Hat
> or Sistina copyright notices:
>
>>    drivers/md/dm-log-writes.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-ps-queue-length.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-ps-service-time.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-unstripe.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-zero.c

Oops, yes. They are clearly flagged as not Red Hat.

>> 2) this file is released under the lgpl
>>
>>    drivers/md/dm-core.h
>>    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-base.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.h
>>    drivers/md/dm-log.c
>>    drivers/md/dm-rq.h
>>    drivers/md/dm.h
>>    include/linux/device-mapper.h
>>    include/linux/dm-dirty-log.h
>
> For these, if the question is just about what version of the LGPL we
> should treat these as, I'd be fine with representing them as
> SDPX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1.
>
> However, and I realize this may go beyond my 'remit' as someone
> consulted for linux-spdx stuff or open some additional bag of worms,
> I'm wondering if these would be better off just relicensed under
> GPLv2, and thus represented as SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0. Even
> treating this code as having been LGPLv2.x-licensed, this would be
> authorized or at any rate contemplated by the largely-overlooked
> LGPLv2.0/LGPLv2.1 section 3. Suggesting this because it would seem to
> help marginally with some of the goals of this initiative and also
> because it's not obvious to me why LGPL would have been preferred over
> GPLv2 for these files to begin with, assuming they weren't copied from
> some unrelated LGPL-licensed project. I've cc'd Jonathan Brassow and
> Mike Snitzer in case they have any thoughts on this.

Let's see :)

Thanks,

        Thomas

* Re: treewide: License cleanup - RedHat originated
@ 2022-05-25 14:56     ` Mike Snitzer
From: Mike Snitzer @ 2022-05-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Fontana, Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: linux-spdx, Jonathan Brassow, dm-devel

On Sun, May 22 2022 at  1:33P -0400,
Richard Fontana <rfontana@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
> >
> > Richard!
> >
> > Sorry for pestering you, but the amount of files is just too much to split
> > it up and targetting the authors is difficult because quite some of them
> > are not longer at RHT. The files are all (c) RedHat or Sistina Software,
> > which is part of RedHat since 2003.
> >
> > This is part of the effort to clean up the licensing mess in the kernel and
> > convert it to SPDX license identifiers as the only source of license
> > information.
> >
> > Archaeology found the following unspecific GPL license references, which
> > have been authored by RedHat/Sistina.
> >
> > To clean this up, can you please either advise the RHT kernel team or let
> > me know which GPLv2 variant to use for the files and I run it through my
> > cleanup machinery.

Hi Thomas, yes I'd love for you to take on the changes to run through
your machinery.  I think we have consensus in that I agree with
everything Richard has said.  Proposed changes look good, thanks!

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I assume you're selecting files that have some sort of Red Hat or
> Sistina copyright notice. Just as a disclaimer, I can't speak to
> copyrights in these files that may be held by other organizations or
> individuals (and I can't say definitively whether any file bearing a
> Red Hat or Sistina copyright notice has or retains any copyright owned
> by Red Hat). With that said:
>
> > 1) this file is released under the gpl
>
> I am fine with saying that any Red Hat copyrights (including any
> Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat) in these can be represented
> with SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.
>
> I would note that the following files did not seem to have any Red Hat
> or Sistina copyright notices:
>
> >    drivers/md/dm-log-writes.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-ps-queue-length.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-ps-service-time.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-unstripe.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-zero.c

These can all have the following added:
SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.

> Skipping category 2 for the moment:
>
> > 3) (c) 2000 red hat gpl d
>
> > 4) this code is covered by the gpl
>
> > 5) this software may be freely redistributed under the terms of the gnu
> >    general public license you should have received a copy of the gnu general
> >    public license along with this program if not write to the free software
> >    foundation inc 675 mass ave cambridge ma 02139 usa
>
> > 6) released under the general public license (gpl)
>
> I am fine with saying that any Red Hat copyrights (including any
> Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat) in these can be represented
> with SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.
>
> > 2) this file is released under the lgpl
> >
> >    drivers/md/dm-core.h
> >    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-base.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-log-userspace-transfer.h
> >    drivers/md/dm-log.c
> >    drivers/md/dm-rq.h
> >    drivers/md/dm.h
> >    include/linux/device-mapper.h
> >    include/linux/dm-dirty-log.h
>
> For these, if the question is just about what version of the LGPL we
> should treat these as, I'd be fine with representing them as
> SDPX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1.
>
> However, and I realize this may go beyond my 'remit' as someone
> consulted for linux-spdx stuff or open some additional bag of worms,
> I'm wondering if these would be better off just relicensed under
> GPLv2, and thus represented as SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.

Yes, I think we should do that.

> Even treating this code as having been LGPLv2.x-licensed, this would be
> authorized or at any rate contemplated by the largely-overlooked
> LGPLv2.0/LGPLv2.1 section 3. Suggesting this because it would seem to
> help marginally with some of the goals of this initiative and also
> because it's not obvious to me why LGPL would have been preferred over
> GPLv2 for these files to begin with, assuming they weren't copied from
> some unrelated LGPL-licensed project. I've cc'd Jonathan Brassow and
> Mike Snitzer in case they have any thoughts on this.

Thanks for bringing me in the loop.  I appreciate it.
Right,  No real need for LGPL here (that I'm aware of).

Thomas: do you have all the answers you need?

Mike

* Re: [dm-devel] treewide: License cleanup - RedHat originated
@ 2022-05-25 14:56     ` Mike Snitzer
From: Mike Snitzer @ 2022-05-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Fontana, Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: linux-spdx, dm-devel

@ 2022-05-25 14:58       ` Mike Snitzer
From: Mike Snitzer @ 2022-05-25 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: Richard Fontana, linux-spdx, Jonathan Brassow, dm-devel

On Sun, May 22 2022 at  2:12P -0400,
Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> Richard!
>
> On Sun, May 22 2022 at 13:33, Richard Fontana wrote:
> > On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
> > I assume you're selecting files that have some sort of Red Hat or
> > Sistina copyright notice. Just as a disclaimer, I can't speak to
> > copyrights in these files that may be held by other organizations or
> > individuals (and I can't say definitively whether any file bearing a
> > Red Hat or Sistina copyright notice has or retains any copyright owned
> > by Red Hat). With that said:
> >
> >> 1) this file is released under the gpl
> >
> > I am fine with saying that any Red Hat copyrights (including any
> > Sistina copyrights acquired by Red Hat) in these can be represented
> > with SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0.
> >
> > I would note that the following files did not seem to have any Red Hat
> > or Sistina copyright notices:
> >
> >>    drivers/md/dm-log-writes.c
> >>    drivers/md/dm-ps-queue-length.c
> >>    drivers/md/dm-ps-service-time.c
> >>    drivers/md/dm-unstripe.c
> >>    drivers/md/dm-zero.c
>
> Oops, yes. They are clearly flagged as not Red Hat.

True, though Red Hat has contributed code to these files and continues
to mainatin these files.

If we need further approval from original authors I can work to reach
out to them.

Thanks,

From: Mike Snitzer @ 2022-05-25 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner; +Cc: Richard Fontana, dm-devel, linux-spdx