Eric Dumazet writes: > On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 10:33 +0100, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote: >> Recent changes to 'struct flow_keys' (e.g commit d34af823ff40 ("net: Add >> VLAN ID to flow_keys")) introduced a performance regression in netvsc >> driver. Is problem is, however, not the above mentioned commit but the >> fact that netvsc_set_hash() function did some assumptions on the struct >> flow_keys data layout and this is wrong. We need to extract the data we >> need (src/dst addresses and ports) after the dissect. >> >> The issue could also be solved in a completely different way: as suggested >> by Eric instead of our own homegrown netvsc_set_hash() we could use >> skb_get_hash() which does more or less the same. Unfortunately, the >> testing done by Simon showed that Hyper-V hosts are not happy with our >> Jenkins hash, selecting the output queue with the current algorithm based >> on Toeplitz hash works significantly better. > > Were tests done on IPv6 traffic ? > Simon, could you please test this patch for IPv6 and show us the numbers? > Toeplitz hash takes at least 100 ns to hash 12 bytes (one iteration per > bit : 96 iterations) > > For IPv6 it is 3 times this, since we have to hash 36 bytes. > > I do not see how it can compete with skb_get_hash() that directly gives > skb->hash for local TCP flows. > My guess is that this is not the bottleneck, something is happening behind the scene with out packets in Hyper-V host (e.g. re-distributing them to hardware queues?) but I don't know the internals, Microsoft folks could probably comment. > See commits b73c3d0e4f0e1961e15bec18720e48aabebe2109 > ("net: Save TX flow hash in sock and set in skbuf on xmit") > and 877d1f6291f8e391237e324be58479a3e3a7407c > ("net: Set sk_txhash from a random number") > > I understand Microsoft loves Toeplitz, but this looks not well placed > here. > > I suspect there is another problem. > > Please share your numbers and test methodology, and the alternative > patch Simon tested so that we can double check it. > Alternative patch which uses skb_get_hash() attached. Simon, could you please share the rest (environment, metodology, numbers) with us here? Thanks! > Thanks. > > PS: For the time being this patch can probably be applied on -net tree, > as it fixes a real bug. -- Vitaly