From: NeilBrown <nfbrown@novell.com>
To: Benjamin Meier <maillists@ferienwohnung-altenbeken.de>,
	linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Recovery after failed chunk size change
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 16:25:24 +1100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 01 2016, Benjamin Meier wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I tried to do a chunk size change from 4096k to 64k on a 7-disk RAID6
> array. I am using Debian Jessie with kernel 3.16 and mdadm 3.3.2. After
> I initiated the change the process staled immediately. I could watch it
> in /proc/mdadm that there has not been any progress at all. The
> backup-file hasn't been touched for days now.
>
> So I decided to backup all data from that device in case it isn't
> starting at next reboot. Accidentally the system was restarted before
> the backup was finished. And now the array is not assembling any more,
> even with the correct --backup-file. I get "mdadm: Failed to restore
> critical section for reshape, sorry.".
>
> So the first question is: How can I access the data again? I think there
> is no damage at this time- I appended an output from --examine at the
> end of this message. All seven drives giving me the same output in all
> relevant topics. Especially "Chunk Size", "New Chunksize" and "Reshape
> pos'n" is all the same.
> What is the best way now that I do not damage any data?

 mdadm --assemble --force --update=revert-reshape --invalid-backup
 --backup-file=/whatever /dev/md/TA /dev/list-of-devices

using mdadm 3.4.

> Second question: Is the problem with the level change a known bug?

Yes, this has been happening to a few people.  The shape doesn't really
start properly.
If someone can provide a recipe for how to reproduce the problem
(e.g. using loop-back devices) I'll happily look into fixing it, or
identifying which kernel it is already fixed in.

Neilbrown